All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Ebay scams a plenty

Profusia

I've never used Ebay in my life - too nervous I guess - but I followed the link out of curiosity but can't see any saxophones. Mainly roofing materials as far as I can see, and priced in dollars. And it quotes 100% positive feedback. Could the link be wrong?

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at the page I got was all about roofing and one orange juicer .....John

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
'Vinyl log siding'... I didn't know there was such a thing

Reminds me of that excellent film Tin Men, but things have clearly moved on from 'aluminum'

Fraser Jarvis

Theres a very nice Guardala (B&S?) Tenor on there starting at $85 but instead of being able to bid for it you are requested to contact the guy via his dodgy g-mail account and buy it outside ebay for $2000...why would you? absolutely no buyer protection what so ever, in short the guy can do what he wants with you and you ain't got a leg to stand on. That tenor probably doesn't even belong to him, just a picture he's ripped off a legitimate listing somewere.

jonf

eBay's just a market place. In common with all market places, there are scams around, but the vast majority of sales on eBay are legitimate. It is a good place to buy and sell if you exercise a reasonable level of caution. The fact that there actually is some degree of control and protection makes it a bit safer than advert sites such as preloved. I've bought many hundreds of items from eBay and not been burnt once. On the other hand, I've bought maybe 10 items via a music web forum (NOT this one, needless to say) and been ripped off twice.

Colin the Bear

My experience of EBay has been positive. You have to use a bit of common though. Better to miss a fishy smelling bargain than to risk it. Most scams rely on the greed of the mark. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I never spend more than I'm willing to say goodbye to unless it's a reputable dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Profusia

Still not seeing any saxophones on that link guys. Not sure what you're looking at.

jonf

My experience of EBay has been positive. You have to use a bit of common though. Better to miss a fishy smelling bargain than to risk it. Most scams rely on the greed of the mark. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I never spend more than I'm willing to say goodbye to unless it's a reputable dealer.
Every word I agree with.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom