All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

eBay Morons---Or are they just sly as a fox?

Jazz Is All

Due to the long period of confinement I have been enjoying....LOL....I have found myself perusing eBay at least once a day....if not more frequently. Part is boredom, part is love of saxes and sax gear, part is looking for eye candy to drool over, part is the wants, and part is my desire to get my bidding jones fix and win a prize. Okay, maybe it's just GASOUSNESS but if I still play so I figure I'm not hurting myself if I don't sell the homestead in a moment of greedy desire. I think you all know exactly what I mean.

Anyhow, in perusing the ads I come across the good, the bad, and the ugly, as always but there are also the uninformed, the downright dumb, and the clearly devious. Let me clarify.

This week so far I found two ads for Alto saxes that were in fact tenors. The sellers were some kind of charity for children or something like that and clearly didn't know a sax from a broom handle. So I messaged them to tell them and they thanked me and corrected the mistake.

Then there were two (2!!) ads for Buescher True Tones from the 1950s (LOL) which clearly were Aristocrats or newer. I wrote to one to set them straight and they thanked me and fixed it. By the time I found the other I was bored with being the educator and passed on by. I had lost patience by then.

The ones that I really dislike however are those where the seller has a fixed number of photos to show the sax and in all the damn horn is in its old case in different positions with nary a close up of the actual horn but yes at least 2 of the old 1940s neck choker, some crappy old reeds, a reed trimmer, and some old mpc with it's cap hiding what brand it is. You have to wonder if they are just that stupid or in fact sly as a fox and hiding what they don't want you to see.

That same problem is in an ad I saw last night where there are only 9 photos, all taken with shadowy dark atmospheric lighting like in a German Expressionist film. Given that it's a Checz sax it fits, but unless the buyer is Count Dracula wouldn't using actual light be better for showing the wares? Moreover, of those 9 pics 2 are only of the very old case that naturally is falling apart at the seams. It was photographed artistically on an old couch with a pair of folded jean under it as if the guy was folding the laundry and midway decided to photograph his sax case to sell it. I am going to ask if the jeans are part of the deal and what size and brand they are. But that aside, why on earth would a person looking for a vintage sax care about seeing some smelly old broken case that weighs a ton to ship and is worthless as protection for the horn? Do these people live in this world and actually play saxophone anywhere? Cases are a dime a dozen the last I looked and the least of anyone's concern unless they are buying props for a period film about a horn player...."Man with the golden arm and broken sax case."

Okay, then of the remaining 7 Photos, 1 is of the aforementioned "accessories"...and I use the term liberally because they include a strap from the 1930s that will for sure give you impetigo if you use it, a reed trimmer that will go right into the metal recycling bin, a mouthpiece of unknown brand and provenance because you can't see it and the neck of the horn. Nice of him to show that, of course. Next come 4 photos of the sax propped in the case in different sultry poses which permit only partial views of its parts not including any pads of course. God Forbid we should get to see those and know if it needs a repad. Finally the last two pics are of just the back of the lower body tube so you can see the S/N and engraving there but the lighting is so bright that in the glare you can't tell how worn away the satin silver in fact is or if it just appears that way due to the crappy flash. These people have cell phones capable of all sorts of automatic correction of focus, lightening, framing etc and then they post photos that are out of focus, too dark, too bright, or badly framed from 16 feet away. That's when I start to smell a rat cause nobody could be that inept or dumb.

The upshot of it is frustration followed by Leroy Van Dyke singing Walk On By to remind me not to get sucked in by the GAS Vapors.

scotsman

GAS anonymous...I'm a member...(recovering! BTW)..But you are correct..In the years that I have been buying horns to work on and learn padding (thank you Stephan Howard). I have found more and more problems online..Regards

MMM

I love it when the title goes: "Saprano Saxaphone" or even better "Baratone Saxerphone".
We've said it before, it's like selling a car and just saying "Car for sale"!

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Subscriber
I love it when the title goes: "Saprano Saxaphone" or even better "Baratone Saxerphone".
We've said it before, it's like selling a car and just saying "Car for sale"!
I do have a car for sale and I looked at Leboncoin, french equivalent to Gumtree I think and there I saw exactly that "Voiture à vendre" ie "Car for sale". Seriously!

It must be universal... o_O

Phil

Commercial Supporter
I really think there are a lot of clueless sellers in the world. Coming from the US to France I have been amazed at the terrible and useless photos people use to sell things. This isnt just on the french version of craigslist but even real estate photos. The healthy portion show houses cluttered with junk, unmade beds and dirty dishes. Additionally you get no sense of the space or layout. If I wanted a new career I would become a real estate photographer. So I dont vote that they are clever.

Jazz Is All

I do have a car for sale and I looked at Leboncoin, french equivalent to Gumtree I think and there I saw exactly that "Voiture à vendre" ie "Car for sale". Seriously!

It must be universal... o_O
That was undoubtedly to make it so all the people looking for a horse won't waste their time looking at that ad.

Funny that you mention Leboncoin. Since I live in Spain I have been checking Euro selling sites for gear because buying from outside the EU is now too expensive for me. Spanish Customs has us by the short and curlies here now and between the shipping fees and the approximately 24% duty and VAT levied on goods brought in plus the shipping fee nothing that can't be mailed in a tiny packet is worth buying.

So I had been checking saxes and mpcs on Lebcoin. Lots of good stuff with some great prices. Then I went ahead and tried to buy a couple of things. They must not want buyers from outside France because nothing worked. On one, I simply messaged the seller with my offer to pay his price and waited and waited and waited....messaged again to no avail. No response. On another I paid for it using their system of Livraison, paying the price asked for by the seller. A day went by and Lebcoin messaged saying that they had advised the of my purchase of his merchandise and were waiting for his reply. The next day I received the message that they had messaged the seller again since he had still not replied. Finally, I got the message from Lebcoin saying that they were refunding my money because the seller had not responded at all.

???? *** kind of site is that? How can they take your money (I paid with a bank card) if the seller has to then say that he'll in fact sell it. One assumes that if it is advertised there that it is for sale automatically and if not already sold and you pay you'll get it immediately registered as sold. However, No, it's not automatic like on eBay and even though they do a sales transaction with you for that peson's goods, until the seller in fact agrees to the deal, it's not sold. HUH?? Even though I paid the asking price plus the shipping, and they charged my card for it, they had to refund the amount afterwards. I suspect that this is some kind of scam to have your money in their account to get interest on it. Even though it's for only 4 days max, multiplied by thousands that's money for them off of your money.

The third time I got a message that said the item could not be shipped outside of France, so I gave up on them entirely as being a worthless scam site. Ebay fr., uk, de., nl, it all have stuff for sale and there are not games like that. Just the other lousy photos and incorrect info, which I at least know how to deal with.

Jazz Is All

Okay, check these photos out. They are two of the total 9 (nine) pictures of this vintage sax the seller chose to post to sell his sax. I won't mention the ad so as not to embarrass him further. They are of the old worthless case the horn comes in. There was a third photo of the case with the included "accessories" strewn on top of it in a devil may care manner. They are an even more worthless ancient neck strap, an unnamed HR mpc and a corroded antique reed trimmer (who trims reeds these days anyway?). I'll leave them to your imagination.

You know, I actually thought about messaging him to ask if the jeans are part of the accessory pack. As a connoisseur of eBay sax ads I would tell him that I like the detail of standing the decrepit case upright, so we can get a better view of the jeans. That allows us to determine if there is any cash or wallet in the pockets should we win them in the auction. I have to also give him credit for folding them first after taking them off and not just tossing them willy nilly (or milli vanilli) on the vintage couch.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Jazz Is All

Does the ad include a scratch and sniff old case smell patch?
It didn't have to. I can smell it anyway from anywhere in the universe just from seeing it. I've had enough of those stinky cases from buying so many vintage horns to know that the smell never disappears. What always gets me is how some of these sellers think that the sax in the funky case is what a buyer will want to see. It's as if the 80-year-old case is a deal maker. LOL. And this guy is such a slob, all that is missing is a shot with his grubby fingers holding it or a shot looking down on the sax, so we see his funky toes on the lovely carpet.....or is it car pit? That place needs fumigating badly. BTW, the sax was a pre-Front F one so not mentioning or showing. A quite unique 400 euro German project horn from a guy in Poland. The photos were so dark they looked like stills from an F.W. Murnau film.

Jazz Is All

Like we used to say in art school, “Dark is art”.
Here's the link, you can check it out. Maybe you'll even want to buy it but make sure he throws the jeans in for the same price.

Julius keilwerh Alto Sax | eBay

This seller is in the Czech Republic not Poland like mistakenly thought earlier. It's no wonder then that looking at his ad has made me feel like I was reading Metamorphosis by Kafka. It absolutely reeks of that vibe. Any moment now I expect a giant cockroach to come out of the bell and escape under the cushions of the couch.

Top Bottom