Easy To Read Circle of Fifths PDF

Easy To Read Circle of Fifths PDF v2

No permission to download

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Subscriber
Veggie Dave submitted a new resource:

Easy To Read Circle of Fifths PDF - circle of fifths specifically for saxophones

As I couldn't find one, I've made an easy to read Circle of Fifths PDF, specifically aimed at saxophones, that should also print perfectly.

Each scale starts on the root and covers one octave. If a scale can be played over two full octaves (for example C) then the second octave is also included.
Read more about this resource...

saxyjt

Never understood it and it's not even mentioned in France anywhere except vaguely in passing if you look for it in some very thick theory books. o_O

It's a nice construction, but I fail to see how it helps with anything. :confused2:

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Subscriber
Why no second octave for D to F#?
I was avoiding the palm keys to make it easier to read and less intimidating. I also have a version that includes the palm keys - do you think that would be better?

It's a nice construction, but I fail to see how it helps with anything. :confused2:
It's a simple way to practise all your keys, and should hopefully make you comfortable playing every note on the sax.
It shows the relationship between keys.
It's a great little warm-up exercise.

I've missed something - what makes this specifically for saxophones?
There's no transposing - if a key can only be played in just one full octave then that's what's shown. If it can be played over two, then that's what's shown. Well, not including the palm keys but I think that may have to change.

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
I was avoiding the palm keys to make it easier to read and less intimidating. I also have a version that includes the palm keys - do you think that would be better?

It's a simple way to practise all your keys, and should hopefully make you comfortable playing every note on the sax.
It shows the relationship between keys.
It's a great little warm-up exercise.

There's no transposing - if a key can only be played in just one full octave then that's what's shown. If it can be played over two, then that's what's shown. Well, not including the palm keys but I think that may have to change.
I'd like to see both versions :)

BigMartin

It's niot something I need dots for, myself. I learned this stuff a long time ago (in theory, anyway. Playing them smoothly is something I don't expect I'll ever stop working at). I was just curious why they were left out. You can always skip those ones if you're not ready for the palm keys yet.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Subscriber
I was just curious why they were left out. You can always skip those ones if you're not ready for the palm keys yet.
My experience suggests that if something looks intimidating then even if you can ignore the scary bits people will often feel overwhelmed and just not bother at all. To be honest, I think even the non-palm key version looks a little scary given all the sharps and flats all over it.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Subscriber

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I notice that you don't include bottom A for the Bari players!
Actually that's not a complaint, so don't change it, it's just I have decided to have my lessons on Bari this term, so on Monday, my teachers asks me for A major, 2 tongued, 2 slurred, one and a half octaves.
I made a start, then stopped and pointed out that I have a bottom A and can go 2 octaves!
She makes the point that, generally, she doesn't teach students with a Bari :rofl:

Top Bottom