Ears needed to cope with a serious gas attack

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
Hi everybody.
I hope someone can have time to listen to these 9 short clips

DeadAudiolink Removed

3 different mouthpieces on 3 different saxophones.

I tried to play more ore less the same kind of stuff.
No loud notes: I recorded it at home.
Zoom H1 roughly at the same distance.

Please please please, let me know if you have a preference (I prefer PMs not to bias other members) or if they sound the same to you.

I confused the letters on purpose: I have to check on a different computer to find out what is what, but I can PM the 3x3 instruments/mouthpieces if you are too curious and have already expressed a preference.

I have to give back one of the horns on Monday....

Thanks a lot

sax tests.jpg

Does it make sense?

Has it helped you?

Interesting to see that Mr Wyver has picked the link twice.

Yes. Actually my top 3 were the Links (widest lay) the next 3 were all the Pillinger 9s and the last 3 were the 8*.

Best of a bad lot? ;}

Oh, and the MkVI came at the bottom of each group of 3. :)))

Last edited by a moderator:
The question if it made sense was about the graphic I posted. I cannot do it bigger.

Nick was surprising about the mouthpiece consistency (almost scary, considering the recording technique).
Someone else was consistent on the instrument.

To be more precise:
Three mouthpieces: Pillinger NYT 8*, Pillinger NYT 9 and vintage Link 11
Three horns: SML Gold Medal, John Packer, Selmer Mk VI 1962.

MkVI/Pillinger 09 is my deluxe setup
JP/Link 11 is my gigging setup

My gas attack was related with the SML, a horn that sounded to me in between the MK VI and the JP.

Questions are welcome.

Was really interesting. But I don't think the test would give the feedback you were looking for. If you'd asked us to rank the tracks instead of pick our favourites, we'd have been more helpful. Say group 1 - all the saxes with the Pillinger 9, group 2, all the saxes with the Pilinger 8* and group 3 All the saxes with the link. And then we could pick our favourite as well. But I guess it's too late.

Was really interesting. But I don't think the test would give the feedback you were looking for. If you'd asked us to rank the tracks instead of pick our favourites, we'd have been more helpful. Say group 1 - all the saxes with the Pillinger 9, group 2, all the saxes with the Pilinger 8* and group 3 All the saxes with the link. And then we could pick our favourite as well. But I guess it's too late.

Ranking 9 tracks that sound quite similar can be hard (see the morgan Fry thread on materials).
Plus there is no agreement on "better" or "worse".
"I like x because is bright" or "I like y because it is dark" are two equally acceptable answers.
I decided to count only the first two preferences.

You can cumulate preferences by looking at rows and columns, but the only clear indication is that the SML wasn't outstanding as I felt.

The JP/Link combination is quite interesting if you think of the price; a £500 mouthpiece (but I am sure that a cheaper one can be found) on a £500 horn.

I am thinking of Keilwerth as an upgrade of the JP. Maybe I will find a cheap one with the correct tone holes

Back
Top Bottom