support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

Early Babbitt alto mouthpiece 0.080" refaced by Brian Powell

mchillaz

I have for sale an Early Babbitt alto mouthpiece. It has been worked on by respected US refacer Brian Powell, who opened the piece up from 0.063" to 0.080. I have his original notes on the piece which read as follows:

"My original notes: a nice early Babbitt (EB) Link, still with the higher floor like the slants and made of good rubber, this measured .063” with a bit of a short curve, slightly uneven.

After flattening the table, I have opened it to .080” with a 21mm facing curve length, restructuring the curve to play efficiently and evenly over the entire range of the horn. I reshaped the tip and tip rail to properly fit a reed, and made sure the side rails are even and reasonably thin for best response. The somewhat higher EB baffle gives lots of power and projection to the big full core sound of the large chamber. The old rubber cleaned up very nicely."

There is also a table in the notes with some measurements which reads as follows:
6-/6+ .050” 10
14+/14.5 .034” 16.5
19.5/20- .024” 21.5
28+/29+ .010” 30.5
37/38-- .0015” 42

1.60mm= .063”
Tip opening. 2.04mm= .080”

The three columns are headed 'curve was' 'feeler' and 'curve now' in that order, for some reason I was not able to copy and paste that part.

The piece plays very well and is the best Link alto piece that I have played, responsive, fat and powerful, however I have decided to stick with my trusty Meyer for the time being and money is a little tight at the moment so I'm letting this one go. It is in immaculate condition.

I'm based in North West London, if you would like to come and try the mouthpiece you are welcome to do so.

I'm looking for £180 plus shipping. I will accept personal paypal (personal only unless the buyer is willing to cover the fees). I will donate 5% to the charity.

For some reason I don't seem to be able to attach the photos I have to this post so if you want pictures PM me your email address and I'll send some over.

Sorry for the strange font size issues in my post, copying and pasting into the post seemed to mess everything up, I thought it was fixed before I posted but apparently not. Better get the magnifying glasses out for the last few paragraphs....

Sorry for the strange font size issues in my post, copying and pasting into the post seemed to mess everything up, I thought it was fixed before I posted but apparently not. Better get the magnifying glasses out for the last few paragraphs....

I've tried to sort it out, but am using my phone. Will someone please check and let me know if it's ok in a browser, thanks.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom