All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

earliest memory

jeremyjuicewah

As I hurtle towards a landmark birthday I think back on things just in case I am soon too old and daft to remember anything at all. My earliest memory is of living in my aunt's house in a village called Staplefied and of watching the chickens through the wire of the hutch thing at the end of the garden. I suspect they sensed my fear as the whole herd/flock/gaggle whichever, as one, leaped at the wire with a blood curdling squawk and sent me screaming back to the house. I must have been one or two years old. I am making momma's chicken soup today, so what have them chickens got to say now! I sincerely hope someone here has a more significant earliest memory than mine, why not share it?
Mike

breathless

Hi Mike, that was a good description and could relate to the event!
I have an appealing memory which has always been of great sadness to me as I remember very little of my childhood except a couple of instances like spending most of the day (or so it seemed) inside my grand parents coal bunker, I'm not sure how old I was but it was a great adventure and I loved it in there! (having just claimed a poor memory, I now find myself almost able to smell the damp sooty smell inside that coal shed)!

1 other instant comes to mind (must have woken up a dark sleeping part of the old gray matter), well I can remember my brother taking me down my other grandparents garden and feeding me teaspoonfuls of dirt from the dose beds! (the things siblings do?) there's probably some emotional trauma locked away there! Anyone know a good physcyatrist?

Rgds Lee.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I have memories from the first house my parents lived in with us, until I was 4, when we moved:
-getting my glasses aged about 3 and a half. I don't specifically remember getting the glasses, I just remember the floor apparently sloping away because of them (my significant sight defect is an astigmatism in both eyes, one at x90, the other x180 which was picked up by my nursery class teacher when I was 3)
-I also remember being in the box bedroom and watching the corona drinks lorry below delivering to the corner shop opposite.
-And my mum propping the downstairs bathroom door closed with a dining chair because there was a rat in the bathroom, and my dad laughing at her, asking her just what size she thought this rat must have been that it could reach up and open the door by the handle.
-And my nana mopping up said bathroom floor and squeezing out the cloth into the bath, as the flood waters rose, both inside the bathroom and inside the bath as the waters came back up the drain (the disadvantage of living below sea level in the Fens)
Strangely, I don't recall the arrival of my younger sister, which would also have occured at the same era.

It's strange how our memories retain some things and not others.

jeremyjuicewah

Oh gosh! Now I remember a thought I had a few days ago. I meant to ask my sister if she had memories before I came about. I will do that now. Also, what on earth did she think when I did? Arrive that is. I know what she has thought since, and I believe she is deranged.

I remember coal bunkers too. I did not used to hide in it, though I did climb in it, but I always always loved the smell of coal. And standing on the footbridge at Staines station smelling the steam from the engines.

Taz

Busking Oracle
I remember the back stairs at my grandmothers house. She used to live in Banstead, Surrey. In a house called Mint Farm. I even remember the lane to the farm as there was a cellar door to the pub at the beginning of the road. Anyway, I remember these stairs because they were very narrow and they turned a 90 degree bend at the bottom and then an opposite 90 degree at the top. None of the stairs were level, in fact I don't think anything in the house was! I must have been about three years old. Every now and then, I will smell something, a particular type of furniture polish I think, that takes me straight back to the place!

Young Col

Taz, that's amazing as Mint Farm and the Mint pub are about a mile from here where I live. I pass by the pub every week on the way to Bantead for shopping and to my sax teacher.
Earliest memories for me are in the flat in West Norwood where we lived until I was five. In particular playing with a piccolo. My parents told me years later that it had been broken - perhaps it was me! Also staying with and playing in my grandparents' garden and wondering where my mother was - she was in hospital with appendicitis, so the date is known: I was two.
YC

Rico Vandoren

Mine is also of my grandma's garden. I found a bird's egg at the base of a tree. I picked it up, but was too rough with it and it broke in my hand. I remember feeling very guilty. I think I was about three.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Taz, that's amazing as Mint Farm and the Mint pub are about a mile from here where I live. I pass by the pub every week on the way to Bantead for shopping and to my sax teacher.
This world gets smaller every day! I'm surprised it hasn't fallen down it was so rickety even then. It was the house that my mum grew up in and where she used to listen to the bombers, at night, going to Germany during the war. She also remembers hearing them returning, many sounding like they were in serious trouble! (She wept when she told me that!)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Mine's playing matchbox trains on a train with a stranger. We ewre in the process of moving from London to Manchester, my mother was nursing my baby brother. Dad didn't know what to do, but the stranger did. I'd have been about one and a half.

Funny thing is it's reminded me I was doing the same for someone else on a flight back from Bangkok a few years ago. The girl was about 3 or 4, I wonder if she'll remember it in 50 years time.

jeremyjuicewah

-"getting my glasses aged about 3 and a half". Mandy, I do not recall more than one little boy at infant school with glasses. He was Charlie Blake and had national health portholes for as long as I knew him. Grew up to be huge so didnt suffer much micky taking, but you must have been in a tiny minority. I got specs aged 40 and find them a nuisance nearly all the time. It must have been hard on you being so young.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
On holiday in Northumberland when I was about two and a half- big, windy beaches ans being hled up to look at a family of pigs over a wall. Weirdly i can't remember anything surrounding that and for a good few years after.

navarro

Being of vintage years one of my earliest memories was of being taken back to school by my Mother. The trains in those days were single carriage so you were locked in for the journey. The only other passenger was a young army officer who produced a neatly wrapped package containing sandwiches (Tin foil was not around then.) Being an officer and a gentleman he offered a sandwich to Mother and I . (Rationing, therefore a noble gesture on his part.) My Mother declined however I gratefully accepted and was rewarded with a spam sandwich spread with margarine.

The officer left the train at the next station and for the next hour of the journey my dear Mater bombarded me with how I would never be a gentleman or indeed an army officer as I had deprived a soldier of his hard earned sustenance.

Next memory : My Father was the owner of a cinema and I was granted the privilege of occupying the usherettes hard wooden bench for the Saturday afternoon children's matinee. (No profit making seat for me.) I was allowed two ounces of toffees as an extra special treat or a Walls Ice cream block. (Choc ices prohibited due once again to profit motives, (All being above and beyond my ration book allocation.) I always opted for the toffees.

One afternoon sitting clutching my white paper bag of toffees a youth approached me (Just before the latest episode of Flash Gordon.) Do you want to sell those sweets ? he asked. Being somewhat entrepreneurial I said yes and offered them to him for sixpence. (I had got them free.) He duly produced a silver sixpence and I handed the toffees over, chuckling to myself as I had deviously secreted two of the toffees to my trouser pocket.

Three minutes into `Flash` the youth re-appeared and stated " I think I might have given you a dud coin can I see it?" I produced the coin and had it snatched from my hand the youth vanishing into the screaming masses of what was then known as `The Pits` (Hard wooden seat two old pence.) Definitely not officer material. The moral of this story is `Never sell black market confectionery to anyone who occupies a seat in the pits. >:) Happy memories regards N.

Last edited by a moderator:

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
-"getting my glasses aged about 3 and a half". Mandy, I do not recall more than one little boy at infant school with glasses. He was Charlie Blake and had national health portholes for as long as I knew him. Grew up to be huge so didnt suffer much micky taking, but you must have been in a tiny minority. I got specs aged 40 and find them a nuisance nearly all the time. It must have been hard on you being so young.
You could be right...
I had the lovely NHS portholes, with the stretchy bits that went around your ears!
I remember being called 4-eyes on a regular basis. I guess I just learnt to shrug it off.
I wasn't a particularly confident child and maybe the taunting didn't help, but when the boys at grammar school started called me "ape-features" (no, really, I think grammar school boys had a higher level of taunting :D ) I was able to ignore them.
I got contact lenses for my 14th birthday and have just, somewhat reluctantly got some "saxophone playing" glasses as I can't see the score - it's at the wrong distance for my lenses (one eye is set to read and the other eye is set for distance, my music stand is at neither)
Oh and aged 12, I broke my 2 front teeth off roller skating. The dentist was a b*****d (I don't often swear, but he deserves it) and kindly gave me an aluminium temporary crown for about 6 months. So not only did I have the glasses, but a metal smile too.....
....thinking about it, it's no wonder I had no self-confidence.....
....I think I'll just curl up with teddy and cry :crying: :crying:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I remember being held hanging by the feet by a nurse, spanking me.
Not a good start at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmicomics
is one of my favourite books, in which characters have memory of the whole history of universe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
..And be herded into a big room while at play group and told to watch the TV because something very important was happening. I don't directly remember watch Neil Armstrong stepping onto the moon but the build up and sesne that this was something special stuck with me. I was probably engrossed in building something important out of lego at the time & wanting to get back to it

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
..And be herded into a big room while at play group and told to watch the TV because something very important was happening. I don't directly remember watch Neil Armstrong stepping onto the moon but the build up and sesne that this was something special stuck with me. I was probably engrossed in building something important out of lego at the time & wanting to get back to it
Jules, I don't expressly remember that either, just that the TV was on during the day.....which it never was ordinarily

Pyrografix

Senile Member
As the youngest of four children (at the time), aged about 3, a journey to visit the Grandparents involved all children sitting across the back seat of the car, with a carrycot across our knees containing a foster baby - not a restraint in sight. Car interior was aged leather which had a strange smell, added to this was the delicious aroma from the front of the car caused by chain-smoking parents. Woe betide anyone who asked to open the window for some fresh air!
To this day, I can't get in a car with leather seats, and I've never smoked!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom