All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones earlham artist alto sax

markyboy

Am looking at buying an earlham artist alto saxophone to replace my cheap stagg one as although I can get a decent sound out of it even as a beginner I can feel the lapse in quality and the squeak of the high notes I've seen one going at a decent price that's 15 years old and would like to know if this is gonna be a waste of money or if it really is a decent Sax and a proper step up from what I already have. any advice as always is listened to and appreciated Thanks MARKYBOY

Justin Chune

If you are getting a decent sound out of your Stagg why not keep it and work on the high notes. The poor quality sound is likely down to you being a beginner, rather than just the sax. It seems that we can buy good S/H altos from £200, see the thread "Best Alto Sax" on the beginners forum for some ideas.

Jim.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I agree with the 'keep it for now' theme, but the Stagg looks identical to an alto I bought with 'Doppler' labelling. Sound was poor, neck was loose, and keywork was crummy, meaning leaks were inevitable. An old Buescher Elkhorn 21A I bought at about the same time, which needed an overhaul is far ahead in quality and playability, once I'd straightened the worst of the keywork damage out. Fast action, super tone and good intonation - the Doppler was miles out. Still needs some TLC (like new pads/corks) but it's streets ahead of the Doppler (/Stagg?). Looks really tatty, but some would welcome the old, beaten look.

So maybe think of upgrading, but do it when you know what you want - or go to a decent sax shop and try out some different horns to see what they offer. About all the forum can do is save you from trying out junk.

Stephen Howard

Tread very carefully - Earlham doesn't have a good reputation, and some of the worst saxes I've seen have had that badge on them. Build quality was awful.
They may well be better now (haven't seen one for a long time), but a 15 year old model could well be one of the dodgy ones.

Regards,

jonf

I had one at one point, as a cheapo alto for messing around on. It was absolutely crap, far worse than any other sax I've had. OK, this was just one example, and the one you've seen may be far better, but from my experience you'd be better off with the Stagg!

Taz

Busking Oracle
Stephen, I don't know if I was just lucky, but my first sax was an Earlham series II alto. I've had it six years from new, it's never been serviced, I've knocked it of the table once yet it still pleases me when I play it.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
ALL I CAN SAY IS

LOVING MY ELKHART SERIES 2

I think I've seen that somewhere before

ps you can probably pick one up second hand for a song and they will out play most other saxes that cost a lot more

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom