All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Accessories E-sax whisper to mute saxophone for practice without annoying people, thoughts?

ColchesterSaxMan

E-Sax Whisper Mute for Tenor Saxophone - Sax.co.uk

The link above is where i have seen it and its like £399 but I do like the idea of being able to practice at anytime and anywhere, what do you guys think? anyone used one before?

Would you have one?

I'm thinking of getting one so just wanted some feedback from you guys before hand, seen some videos on utube
with them being used.

Cheers in advance.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Never tried one, but I've seen a few very similar looking copies on ebay for a lot less money. But try and get some feedback/guarantee first.

thesaxman71

Put the bell of your sax into a wardrobe of clothes and blow and it will mute it just fine, it was an old trick used by a few players i knew when they wanted to practice.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
They have been on eBay and Gumtree for as little as £80 second hand. Not had any experience of them. Wardrobe sounds the best bet!

thesaxman71

I tried old fashioned blowing into a wardrobe or 'wardrobe tone development', as I call it, as have many others, sounds a little odd at first i know, but it really works. You can help shape your sound considerably because when you play into the wardrobe (not an empty one of course!) it dampens the whole sounds and isolates certain frequencies that naturally come out so when you play into the wardrobe you tend to hear or have more of a 'buzzy' sound so if you want to play with a more dark sound or 'Getz-like' sound you can try to eliminate or dampen them buzzy frequencies by adjustments to your embouchre, throat, position of teeth on mouthpiece and overall blowing to cut down on them higher buzzy frequencies. The same can be done if you wish to add brightness to your sound (as I actually did!), but using the opposite method, where you try to enhance them higher buzzy sounds with the above mentioned adjustment techniques. I actually did this method in order to help get the tone/sound i have today and every now and then to fine tune my sound i occasionally go back and do the same procedure and strange as it may all sound IT REALLY WORKS!

I hope this helps someone and is a 'free' way to
A.) practice quieter...
B.) develop your sound to whatever side you want to go to be it dark warm Getz-like or brighter edgy Brecker-like sound. (yes Dave i said the 'B' word again)

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
I have bought AND SOLD an E-sax ........save the money and do the wardrobe thing while learning to play softer (and subtoning.......the Gets sound thing).

the Mute is really heavy and even with an harness it is really uncomfortable. It gets just a little better ( and more expensive) with a dedicated stand. I have used the strap that came with the mute and I am sure that made my neck problems take a turn for the worst.

Most people complain about sweating (you will) and also most (for some mysterious reasons) don’t use the headphones connected to the mike inside.

If one doesn’t, one will blow a lot harder than it would be necessary to hear oneself playing, which is somehow defeating the purpose of the mute, really!

Do use Gizmo, if provided, (or put a golf ball in the bell) because otherwise the low notes won’t speak.

There are LOTS of secondhand mutes for sale............ ask yourself............why?

ColchesterSaxMan

I only have a small double wardrobe what you guys saying get in it as i dont think I would have any room or open one door and have the horn inside kind of thing seems a little awkward to me it cant work if you have a door open so i can only assume your getting inside the thing and closing the door that is if the wardrobe is big enough- my one is wooden pine and is only 85cm wide and depth is just 48cm so its a small double.

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
you don’t actually need to enter the wardrobe!

Any wardrobe, even with a single door will do!

Just stick you horn and hands in between the hanging clothes. Play at leisure. That’s all you need to do.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
A big refuse sack will work. Get inside it and play the horn in there. If you do it on bin day outside the house the bin waggon will come and take you to the tip. Nobody will mind how loud you play at the tip.

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
If I wanted jokes I'd request them.

Some of the gentle banter on the site makes it fun and stops us taking ourselves too seriously, unlike some other forums. It isn't meant to offend. The banter comes with the excellent advice :)

samohtdang

Locality
Purfleet, Essex
I was looking at one of these for a while as I was conscious of my playing affecting the neighbours. I have been playing almost a year now and have not found the need to waste money on something that is not going to make me play any better..... infact it could restrict you as you may wish to see what you are doing with your fingers etc. Instead I just make sure that my practice routine is always between certain hours of the day (between 6-7pm) that way, my neighbours know when I am starting and when I am going to end. I have also had my girlfriend stand outside the flat while I am playing to check if it was loud outside.... result was that as we are double glazed she could not hear a thing when blowing at my loudest, so the only people in thoery I need to worry about are the neighbours above and below me! so in short, save your money for your upgrade when the time comes, or put it on something useful such as more lessons! hope this helps! Dan

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom