All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Dulled Note Problem

Merryfisher

Have YTS 62 that plays clean & clear from low Bb right the way through to top F# - except low C which recently has become very slightly 'dull'. The horn has been regularly serviced - everything in order, supposedly. Have had 2 techs look @ it, both can hear the problem - but neither have been able to identify the cause. Driving me nuts - any ideas anyone?

Similarly - have YTS 61, again plays clean right through, except this time low D, which is significantly dulled - oddly, the notes above and below are not affected. Again, 2 techs unable to get to the root of the issue? Any thoughts?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Low C vents through low B/Bb. Try opening these up a little, especially the B.
Low D vents though C. Try opening this a little.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Occasionally a leak light check in a pitch black room will reveal a problem leak that is otherwise undetectable. The low C# key not sealing properly can cause the C to sound stuffy. An Eb key leaking slightly can have a similar effect upon the D.

In some cases a weak spring on a side C or Bb can allow the pressure node of a note in the vicinity to cause them to be "blown" open by the sound wave causing a leak as well.

A leak at the bell/bow connection can also affect the low notes and also be hard to detect. You could wrap plastic electrician's tape around the joint to see if that makes any difference.

Please let us know what you find to be the cause so we can all learn from it.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Also check the quality of the pads on the venting toneholes. I they are particularly old they could dampen the sound.

Merryfisher

In the end the solution was clear - I took them to Steve Howard - sax doctor extroadinaire! Thanks to Steve's wizardry, I now have horns that put the smile back on my face - everytime I pick them up that smile just gets bigger!

Where everyone else failed, Steve had it nailed!

Thanks Steve!

Top Bottom