PPT mouthpieces

Percussion Drum machines

Martin

Locality
Grenada, West Indies
I play sax, my thirteen year old son is getting to be pretty hot on his guitar, my wife is learning the bass, so all we need to do now is breed a drummer and we'll have a family band.

Alternatively, we could use a drum machine. Can anyone recommend one? Is it possible to download some free software and use my computer as a drum machine...I browsed the internet looking for something and the ones I saw gave me the impression that they were more for people making computer based music, rather than an aid to people making live music.

Also, I definitely don't have the patience to sit programming something for hours...I need to be able to select a rhythm and press go...

Advice please...

Martin

" Band In A Box " might suit your purpose. Use only the drums when the family are available and the whole band when they aren't.

Jim.

Just as a suggestion on the side that you might want to consider:

A lot of electronic keyboards have quite a few drum patterns programmed into them. I have a Yamaha 275 keyboard that I bought about five years ago for only about $100 brand new (that was a sale price though, I think they were normally about $300)

In any case, the idea is that you might be able to pick up a used one really cheap. Mine has about 100 different drum beats programmed in. Plus you can change the tempo of any of them to whatever tempo you need. I use it a lot for practicing saxophone lessons. I can almost always find a beat that I like, and often times they actually have the styles that are actually marked on the sheet music (like samba, rock, jazz swing, or whatever)

If you go that route, not only do you have a nice cheap "drum machine", but you'll even have a keyboard to play around with too. ;}

Just something to think about.

Just as a suggestion on the side that you might want to consider:

A lot of electronic keyboards have quite a few drum patterns programmed into them. I have a Yamaha 275 keyboard that I bought about five years ago for only about $100 brand new (that was a sale price though, I think they were normally about $300)

In any case, the idea is that you might be able to pick up a used one really cheap. Mine has about 100 different drum beats programmed in. Plus you can change the tempo of any of them to whatever tempo you need. I use it a lot for practicing saxophone lessons. I can almost always find a beat that I like, and often times they actually have the styles that are actually marked on the sheet music (like samba, rock, jazz swing, or whatever)

If you go that route, not only do you have a nice cheap "drum machine", but you'll even have a keyboard to play around with too. ;}

Just something to think about.

+1. You can pick up used keyboards for daft money from local small ads, Gumtree etc. I have an ancient Yamaha that cost me 50 quid 10 years ago, and it does all that SW describes above.

I have a Boss dedicated drum machine, I think its called DR800 or 880 and also a Boss BR900CD which is loaded with drum patterns. I cannot use either, I find the whole process so mind numbingly tedious that I reckon I will check out my Casio keyboard and see if it does drums. I had not thought of that. Seriously though, you may find a drummer if you ask around who is looking for an opportunity to play. I have met one where I am who just wanted a bit of a band to practice with. Everyone is using machines it seems.

I have a Boss dedicated drum machine, I think its called DR800 or 880 and also a Boss BR900CD which is loaded with drum patterns. I cannot use either, I find the whole process so mind numbingly tedious

I've found that with every bit of Boss kit I've ever played with - digital recorders, processors, effects boxes, all just utterly baffling. Maybe wind players suffer from techno dyslexia?

Thanks everyone...I'm still not sure which way to go though...

Sweet Dreamer, I dug out our crappy little keyboard and messed around with it a bit, but it really is too 'low end' to be useful.

'Band in a Box' sounds interesting, but my technophobia puts me off.

The Boss drum machine sounds too complicated...maybe there is a simpler one on the market...I'll check when I get chance.

I think I'll wait and see what turns up.

Cheers,
Martin

There is a little program called LeafDrums which, although you need to program it, is VERY simple to use if you want to just create some simple rhythms. Programming drums is a nice way to improve your knowledge of rhythm too ;}

You can download a fully functional trial version I am sure - I think it is around $30 to register if you decide it works for you.

BIAB is the way to go as all three of you will be able to use it. Recent editions of BIAB have greatly improved drums, they say. I have an older version that my son gave me and it's fine. If I can use it, anyone can.

Jim.

There is a little program called LeafDrums which, although you need to program it, is VERY simple to use if you want to just create some simple rhythms. Programming drums is a nice way to improve your knowledge of rhythm too ;}

You can download a fully functional trial version I am sure - I think it is around $30 to register if you decide it works for you.

Sounds interesting. When you say I would need to program it, do you mean that I'd have to download 'drum loops' from the internet, of does it come with a selection of loops to choose from?

Martin

As far as I remember (I haven't used it for some time and it may have been improved) it was simply a matter of putting 'ticks' in boxes with a mouse click and building up loops.

I just downloaded and installed it and yes, it is still the same... you can start a loop playing and simply add sounds to the loop and click on the grid where you want the sound , it is real-time so you can hear what you are doing and ammend as you go.

As I say it is not just a simple case of downloading and playing loops but does give you some insight into building loops and rhythms.. it is grat fun to play with anyway :}

There is a user forum now it seems where there are many 'ready made' loops you can download.

I am not sure on the policy of posting links to stuff here and I don't want to break any rules but if you google leafdrums it is easy to find.

There is a user forum now it seems where there are many 'ready made' loops you can download.

I am not sure on the policy of posting links to stuff here and I don't want to break any rules but if you google leafdrums it is easy to find.

No problem as long as it helps our members. It's guys who join up to promote their sites/goods/services and don't contribute here that break the rules.

As far as I remember (I haven't used it for some time and it may have been improved) it was simply a matter of putting 'ticks' in boxes with a mouse click and building up loops.

I just downloaded and installed it and yes, it is still the same... you can start a loop playing and simply add sounds to the loop and click on the grid where you want the sound , it is real-time so you can hear what you are doing and ammend as you go.

As I say it is not just a simple case of downloading and playing loops but does give you some insight into building loops and rhythms.. it is grat fun to play with anyway :}

Thanks Filton, I think I'll have a play with it.

Martin

Well I downloaded it last night and had a play around...it's exactly what I was looking for...many thanks Filton.

Already I'm listening to drum lines with new interest in order to build myself decent rhythms.

Cheers,
Martin

glad it has worked out for you. It is pretty old hat, I first used it a good few years ago but that is a bonus in some ways because it is nice and simple to use.

Anybody know of something like LeafDrums for MAC?