Doxy - Keilwerth MKX

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
I don't know what it is about the way Sonny Rollins writes songs, but whatever it is they never fit into how my brain works. I wanted to see what my MKX sounded like so I thought I'd have another go at a Rollins' track. Like the last time I tried Doxy, I wanted to approach it like I was at a jam rather than practice it for days or weeks before trying to record it.

Playing wise, I still clearly need to put a lot more work into it. And I should probably admit defeat and leave Rollins' songs alone. ;) And there's a certain slur I obviously like playing that I really need to stop doing, too.

As for the sound of the Keilwerth, my shed has appalling acoustics that makes it the worst place imaginable to record anything (hence why I haven't bothered for almost a year) yet what you can hear here is nothing more than a little reverb. If my shed had better acoustics I could have left it completely raw and it would still have sounded great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caz

It’s not really a bad sound - and your on time with the head - But it sounds like you are getting lost on the changes (imho)
There is no reason to admit defeat on something that you yourself admit to needing more work :)

Do you have access to a looping software?
I load my backing tracks into “transcribe” and try to work out the changes by looping 3-4 bar phrases in a more manageble tempo.

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
It’s not really a bad sound - and your on time with the head - But it sounds like you are getting lost on the changes (imho)
There is no reason to admit defeat on something that you yourself admit to needing more work :)
It's not that I didn't know where the changes were but that my sense of melody just doesn't fit with Rollins'. No matter what song I try, the melodies that come to me never, ever fit his changes. I keep trying Sonny's songs and keep failing.

rhysonsax

It's not that I didn't know where the changes were but that my sense of melody just doesn't fit with Rollins'. No matter what song I try, the melodies that come to me never, ever fit his changes. I keep trying Sonny's songs and keep failing.
The changes for Doxy are based on the old standard Jada and weren't made up by Sonny. It's just a 16 bar form with four bar sections.

I find the trouble when improvising over Doxy is to stop it continually falling into two and four bar chunks that sound trite. One of Sonny's many gifts is his ability to play across the barlines in a natural way. Another is to take a little melodic fragment and play around with it through the changes.

Good luck.

Rhys

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Doxy Redux

Okay, in the last week I've learned that just because you can't play a song to one backing track, it doesn't mean you can't play it to another. Hal Leonard may produce some excellent backings to play to, but some of them deviate somewhat from the original version/the version you're likely to encounter at a jam. I've noticed this before but it hadn't clicked this time. They've used chord substitutions both in the head and all through the solo. This is probably great for those of you who can really play jazz, but for people like me, I need to be able to use guide tones to show me the way.

I've also discovered that I need to spend a lot more time with the Keilwerth (oh, the horror! ;) ). I'm finding that the action is so quick and effortless that my fingers are falling over themselves as they anticipate key travel that just isn't there. You can hear it all the way through this new recording.

Using this new backing track has made all the difference (from Aebersold's Maiden Voyage - sticks faithfully to the Real Book chord progressions), but there's still so much more to do. Thankfully, not quite as much as last week, though.

Top Bottom