All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Dots....

GsySaxMan

Happy Easter everyone, and enjoy the sunshine!

Anyone know where I can get the dots for Eb Misty please.

Cheers,

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hellooooo!

Its in Vol 41 (Aebersold) Body & Soul 17 Jazz Classics, if thats any help.

Cheers,
Amanda

trimmy

One day i will...
It's also in a jazz book i have, i think it's something like "What jazz solo can i play" I'm at work at the mo, I'll dig it out and let you know tomorrow.

Kev

ps Happy St George day :)

GsySaxMan

Hi Ken
wikifonia is very handy site to find most lead sheets... It displays in concert pitch.
Then hit the Eb or Bb button above to get it for Eb or Bb instruments...
http://www.wikifonia.org/node/9949#/C/0/1

Happy Easter

Adrian :cheers:
Hey Adrian,

I expect it's sunny all the time where you are.

Thanks for the link, but I do have one question which is probably the result of my inexperience.

When I select the Eb version for my alto the fourth note (I'm) appears to be a G which is below Bb, and there are some even lower notes in the piece; I am assuming it is in C major and has common time?

Probably the way I am reading it, but some clarification would be just great.

Thanks.

Ken

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi Ken,

If you're playing solo, you can play any of the versions (C, Bb, Eb etc) - the key only becomes an issue if you're playing against a backing track, or with other people who are playing from a different score . The Eb version in this case goes beyond the range of the alto- you could take it up an octave!

GsySaxMan

How stupid am I !!

Still got a long long way to go, but I am enjoying the journey....

Thanks Amanda for setting me straight, I get it now!

Have a good day.

Cheers,

Ken

Saxade

Yes Ken ... it really needs to go up an octave... and the solution for this was given on the forum Thus " Try to download MuseScore (http://musescore.org) for free and download the MusicXML file for a song on wikifonia.org (on the left). You can then open the MusicXML file in MuseScore and transpose it the way you want."
But easier still go to the button on the right that say's transpose & for instance in the Eb version transpose it up (+4 1 sharp) giving the key of G for you ... ;}
Looks a lot more friendly like that...

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Ken, I may be well off the mark here, but it sounds as if you're getting the pitch of the instrument and the pitch of the written music mixed up.

If you look for an alto sax score, it should say that it's for alto sax - or another transposing instrument that's in Eb. Or the score should say 'for Eb instruments'. The offset for an alto is that it appears to play a minor third (3 semitones) higher than concert pitch. So a score for alto sax is written 3 semitones lower - than concert. However the truth is that it plays an octave lower than this, so always sounds lower than the written or concert score.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
[you need to do some housekeeping on your mailbox!]

Thanks - Done!:)

I need to do some housekeeping full-stop!

Regarding playing solo tunes written for instruments in different keys, what I often do is to pick the version with the kindest (easiest!!) key signature - which may not be the one for my instrument. Once I've got that under my belt, I'll practice the 'other' versions, so I'll know the dots for 3 key sigs - Aebersold book are good for this.

GsySaxMan

Thanks Kev and Amanda, it's always great when you start to comprehend something sometimes as impenetrable as musical notation!

But at least I have cracked all the 12 major keys, so some progress has been made; now just the minor and pentatonic....

Always something you can work on it seems.

Ken

BigMartin

But at least I have cracked all the 12 major keys, so some progress has been made; now just the minor and pentatonic....
Pentatonic shouldn't take too long now, you just have to leave out some notes from the corresponding major scale. Eg, C major pent: C D E G A C. Leaves you with a scale with no semitones. Quite a bland sound, but easier to fit in with other stuff. Then A minor pent = C major pent but starting on the A. And so on.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

Ken
You've cracked more than me! :mrcool

Don't forget the blues scales, both minor and major in 12 keys.... >:)

BigMartin

Don't forget the blues scales, both minor and major in 12 keys.... >:)
Again, not such a biggie. Do the pents first then you throw in a chromatic passing note for the blues scale. Once you know the majors well, you've covered a lot of ground. For me the minors are more tricky: natural, dorian, melodic and harmonic (in no particular order).

GsySaxMan

Thanks Kev and BigMartin.

I have only just finished C# and Cb majors, so the next month or so is just going to be on nailing those whilst picking a note from within various major scales and starting there, but I do enjoy the sound of the blues scale and like to improvise on A C D D# E G A

Just wish I could play for 2-3 hours everyday, and really make some progress....dream on as real life gets in the way!

Cheers,

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Thanks Kev and Amanda, it's always great when you start to comprehend something sometimes as impenetrable as musical notation!

Ken
I shouldn't worry to much I'm 3.5 yrs in and all this is clear as mud to me, I keep thinking of starting a post about how this being in the right key thing works, I find it all very confusing as all of the notes are in all of keys and all of the notes are in all of the scales or near as damn it with various sharps and flats thrown into the mix for good measure but what makes some thing being played in a certain key I find very hard to figure out.

As for the MISTY music if you haven't got it yet pm me,I'm learning it myself at the moment, a lovely tune and quite easy to play

All the best ...john

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom