All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Done it!!!!!!!!!!!

jeremyjuicewah

Hi, went and played in me band at Moraira Golf Club last night. Ninety people there. I took no notes, no music, just me and the tenor and 40 miles of cable and 8 tons of gear. Really enjoyed it, its a must. HOWEVER..... I got the missus to video it and of the 11 seconds that she shot of me, extracted from the almost two and a half hours of peoples shoes, shoulders, paellas, and yards of flooring, I learned a few home truths. My playing was flat, lifeless, cumbersome, and though I think its best I saw that, it does detract a bit from the thrill of having made me debut.
I have a clip which I would post but when I go to select a track for Soundcloud there is nothing on the desktop or in my docs to select, though its there when I open it not on Soundcloud. If you get me. Anyone give me a clue on that?
Have a good Sunday,
Mike

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
My playing was flat, lifeless, cumbersome
Maybe it is just like listening back your recorded voice. My voice sounds like a cross between Donald Duck and Chico Marx.
It's very useful for learning purposes, though.

I have a clip which I would post but when I go to select a track for Soundcloud there is nothing on the desktop or in my docs to select, though its there when I open it not on Soundcloud. If you get me. Anyone give me a clue on that?
Try to convert it in some other audio format. mp3 should work. I use aiff or wav.

Anyway, very well done. It always beautiful to play in front of an audience.
Did your wife shot yards of flooring on purpose? A project like that could get financing from the Arts Council

MartinL

Hi, went and played in me band at Moraira Golf Club last night. Ninety people there. I took no notes, no music, just me and the tenor and 40 miles of cable and 8 tons of gear. Really enjoyed it, its a must. HOWEVER..... I got the missus to video it and of the 11 seconds that she shot of me, extracted from the almost two and a half hours of peoples shoes, shoulders, paellas, and yards of flooring, I learned a few home truths. My playing was flat, lifeless, cumbersome, and though I think its best I saw that, it does detract a bit from the thrill of having made me debut.
Have a good Sunday,
Mike
All I would say is that, If you base your self criticism on what you see on your video then don't. Video recorders have the most awful sound reproduction and absolutely anyone will sound like a kid at Christmas in this type of recording.
Enjoy the début, Now I'm sure you will be looking forward to the next gig, Its a great feeling.

jeremyjuicewah

DeadAudiolink Removed

Well it seems that Soundcloud is just slow to register. I have now posted the soundtrack, dont know how to upload a video. It was all very exciting and I do appreciate the remark about the sound quality of video cameras. I hadnt thought of that but its a great excuse and I shall stick with it. I lost my way in this a bit and the reed closed up on the final top Bb, but hey, if I cant get you guys to listen, who else will? Anyway, whatever, it was really good fun and that particular audience was very kind and said nice things to me at the end. They prolly did not know I stole this solo anyway, though I did make up a good few others for myself. Anyone waiting to do this for themselves, just go and do it. You couldnt be more nervous than I was. My whole Saturday was ruined by the horrible anticipation of what I had to do stone cold sober in the evening, but its worth it, honest.
Mike

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Bad news: you have to record yourself again, at home, once a day.

As a first performance (sober!) it is really good. I couldn't understand exactly what the rest of the band was doing. The audio quality is really compressed, as you can see from the sausage-like waveform.

When you say you play flat, an interesting thing happens: you are blowing much harder than usual. It is normal. This flattens few notes and closes up reeds in the high register. If you have a slightly harder reed in your case, keep it for live gigs.

And play live as much as you can: it is beautiful.

BUMNOTE

Well done for doing it in the first place,at least you had the courage to have a go,something i cant seen to do..well done again:thumb::thumb:Bumnote.

ArtyLady

Well done! keep gigging and enjoy it! don't get hung up on listening to yourself play - I think we are all our own worst critics - I know I am! :thumb:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Well done you:welldone:welldone:welldone, not sure I will ever have the nerve but am a long way off that decision yet lol:)

Jx

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Recording gigs? I don't think so. I was totally awesome last night. Why would I want to destroy that illusion? I am in possession of precisely 0 recordings of the 1500-2000 (probably) gigs I've done in my lifetime and I intend to keep it that way.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Sounded great to me! As aldevis said, video cameras are rubbish for recording loud audio and for some reason a sax stands out like a sore thumb! What you also have to remember, is that whilst you are stone cold sober, 70% of your audience most certainly aren't! They also see...Man with sax.... and that's it, you'r a star already. As long as you stand there and look the part most people wouldn't know if you were actually playing the same tune as the rest of the band :w00t:
Just enjoy the moment, then enjoy the next one even more and so on!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big well done from me too. I'm just glad there aren't any recordings of me floating around to embarass me.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
All I would say is that, If you base your self criticism on what you see on your video then don't. Video recorders have the most awful sound reproduction and absolutely anyone will sound like a kid at Christmas in this type of recording.
Enjoy the début, Now I'm sure you will be looking forward to the next gig, Its a great feeling.
:thumb: I agree with this comment - we are our worst critics. Last Saturday I was talked into going to an audition for a new concert orchestra that's being set-up near Chester. I was told entry requirements would be grade 6 plus. Now as a cellist I'm certainly not G6 (my teacher has got me doing G5 material though).

I really didn't want to do it but the MD of the community orchestra said I should go for it. So I went along, was OK ish on the two pieces I had to take. I got a slow movement of a Haydn symphony to sight read and was told I did it quite well.

Acceptance letter arrived yesterday :w00t:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Well done Tenorviol.
Taz and Nick are sadly right. If you are enjoying a gig don't record it, and if you do, listen to it one year later.
Recording is good to improve, but may spoil the pleasure of a wonderful night, partly due to mere technical reasons.

jeremyjuicewah

Thanks to all on this one for your kind words. Some wise stuff in there. I agree now with Nick, that was not the thing to do. In fact, I have lost all the clippings I had. Uploaded them to dropbox and then uninstalled the prog without thinking. So, now, on Monday, it is pretty clear to me that I too was awsome on Saturday. And will be again.

Taz is correct. There were undoubtedly a few faces there who were bedazzled by the big sax. My sister is too. She ogles it and paws it. Quite disgusting really. Not as bad as when she is eating, but quite horrible all the same.

Aldevis. Do you mean that I am blowing too hard, or just that I am blowing hard and that that will tend to flat notes? I do blow quite hard. I am out of kilter with breathing and blowing since having to practice in a flat and just getting Saturday mornings in the factory to really make some noise.

Best wishes, maybe one day I will get the call to the orchestra, but I will not hold my breath.

Mike

thomsax

Well done Mike. I like it.

A DV camera can be a good recorder if you use an extern microphone like a Röde NT3.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Aldevis. Do you mean that I am blowing too hard, or just that I am blowing hard and that that will tend to flat notes? I do blow quite hard. I am out of kilter with breathing and blowing since having to practice in a flat and just getting Saturday mornings in the factory to really make some noise.
From the recording it sounds like you are blowing harder than you are used to do, hence the advice of a slightly harder reed when you go live. It is quite a common issue: you get used to a low dynamic range at home, then you go live and play louder.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom