support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Dolphin Dance

Littlewailer

Locality
Victoria, BC
I recorded Dolphin Dance for Sotw's TOTM.

Figured I'd post it here for others to enjoy.

I just read through this one so the solo is a little ridged. And I could hear one or two spots where I'm unintentionally out. But other than that I think it's a fairly exciting track.

DeadAudiolink Removed

Peace.

I recorded Dolphin Dance for Sotw's TOTM.

Figured I'd post it here for others to enjoy.

I just read through this one so the solo is a little ridged. And I could hear one or two spots where I'm unintentionally out. But other than that I think it's a fairly exciting track.

DeadAudiolink Removed

Peace.

Hi Sean how ye doing.

I`ve listened to this and a lot of your other stuff for ages and think you are a very gifted player but I am always a little disappointed in your core tone. I know that my own tone tends towards the boring nowadays and it is something that has defo changed in the 30 years I`ve been essaying.

To me your playing in the faster parts is pretty faultless but your melody playing lets you down and in the Jazz arena people might just not listen long enough to get to all the really juicy stuff you do later in impro:thumb:

I know you also do a lot of blues and rock, and really you can get away with quite a lot in this context but when we are playing and more importantly recording very well known songs we are putting our sound up against the greats that have came and sadly went before. The sax`s great success has always been down to it`s soul, sexiness and expression and my humble critique would be that you really need to add more of these and additional pathos to your melody playing. as I have already stated I really do think you do have a gift but perhaps it just needs a prettier wrapping paper:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Honest assessment Clivey,

I always tell people that I can't play jazz. But it's just something I practice to get better.

I am indeed a rock, R/B guy by trade. My wrapping paper is pretty shiny but I guess not that durable if you want to go as far as to make that connection.....

I also am fighting my recording set up. I don't have a proper mic and am using some EQ/ effects to try and brighten up the very muddy tone that is inputed. I actually think my tone has gotten much better in the last several months and always hear myself at the jams and think it is definitely an R/B, Funk type tone which I have to dumb down to blend in other situations.

I practice fairly often each day. And am taking the steps to start studying again with a well known teacher. So it's all good. It only gets better from here.

I appreciate the honest and encouraging comments. I'm the most critical of my own playing and it helps to have others with fresh ears relate on what they hear.

Thanks again,

Sean

Are you playing a transcription here or is it your improv.I like alot of your stuff but agree with Clivey that the sound is way not right.It sounds soooo compressed and strangled.It just kills any joy away from your great playing.Before any wacky runs,licks or scales space and sound for me are the thing.The sax is a voice after all.

To start off on a positive note, you are an accomplished player and your setup sounds really well adjusted. However the guys are right, the sound is dead, and some notes are flat.
I think you should concentrate on listening to the pitch/timbre of the notes, rather than your
speed and technique.
Develop your vibrato (that's one of the main things missing).
Also, music tells a story, some of your solos tend to wander and bear no relationship to the main theme (which should be in the back of your mind), leaving me wondering where this is going.
The saxophone is a sexy instrument. Speed isn't everything!

John :):);}

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds nicer on the youtube clips.Lots of nice licks,runs,effects etc but it feels like you have to throw everthing you know into every solo at once.You have some good chops there but for me you need to tame it down and the blows will mean more.I agree about the intonation.Atad flat here and there.Dont get me wrong here i'm giving a opinion to help.As said i like your fine playing alot but i think if you just calmed down,played alot less and worked more on tuning and sound you would be very very good player.

Thanks everyone,

It's a process. I'm doing all the things I need to be to improve. So now only time will tell.

I've had a lot of people in the past tell me that there's an urgency in my playing that steers me away from sounding more professional. I find I have a lot more in common with guitar players than I do with sax players some times.

I've listened to this clip (Dolphin Dance) and it sounds to me like I'm very on top of the beat and the tone does kind of slide up to come in tune. I remember pulling my Mp out because it was really hot in my place. I guess it didn't effect the sound as much as I thought.

But there's something about it. I think it's a keeper. And I'm even gonna add it to the set listed in my signature.

I've had a lot of people in the past tell me that there's an urgency in my playing that steers me away from sounding more professional. I find I have a lot more in common with guitar players than I do with sax players some times.

I've listened to this clip (Dolphin Dance) and it sounds to me like I'm very on top of the beat and the tone does kind of slide up to come in tune. I remember pulling my Mp out because it was really hot in my place. I guess it didn't effect the sound as much as I thought.

But there's something about it. I think it's a keeper. And I'm even gonna add it to the set listed in my signature.

Remember i think lots of your playing is great and also remember if your happy thats all that matters.

I've just listened to 'Stormy Monday'. This is the Blues - You sound 'Tight' ...... Relax into it, give it some feeling, that's what the blues is about, FEELING!!!! NOT how you can get about on the sax (and you get about very well)
I think you should practice, and face into a corner of the room and play long tones and listen. Get some vibrato into your emboucher, that will make a big improvement.
You say that you are a Rock & R&B guy. In my opinion you aren't!!! I think that you should get the twelve bar sequence firmly into your head. and don't try and be too clever. That and vibrato (Is what I think), is lacking.
You are a very, very good player, but remember, Rock, R&B and Blues, isn't Jazz.

This is only my opinion and meant to be helpful, I hope I don't offend you!

John :):);}