All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Doin' My Thang

Mike

I went out to buy some new reeds yesterday. I normally use VanDoren Java size 3.
They didn't have any 3's left so I opted for 3 1/2. At first I really had to push
my diaphragm but now I like them better than the 3's.

I did a solo version of something I'm working on with a track from Chris, which is
still in the shed.....

Doin' My Thang (solo saxophone)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1289603

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
And you do that "thang" so well. Nice sound with the harder reed. Brighter and seems like more honk. Seems to be inspiring you to bounce a bit more. Even though it's mostly a repeated motif you command attention with the quality of your playing.

Mike

And you do that "thang" so well. Nice sound with the harder reed. Brighter and seems like more honk. Seems to be inspiring you to bounce a bit more. Even though it's mostly a repeated motif you command attention with the quality of your playing.
Well, motifs are meant to be repeated...lol
I was working off a central theme or flavor to give some sort of structure as opposed to my past
discursive tunes.

I'm glad you enjoyed the listen, Wade. I'm always trying new ways to play which is what keeps my interest peaked.

For all you Bird lovers out there, who may not know. I was told, by a reliable source, that Charlie Parker used a #5 reed! I tried one years ago and I could hardly get it to vibrate! Bird had such a strong diaphragm and embouchere to boot. Amazing!

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I like your sound better here.Them reeds give you a fuller tone.Nice jazzy blues bop playing.Nice tight feel.

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Subscriber
Very nice, I might just take the mighty step up to 2 strength reeds :D

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom