All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Dog related tunes

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
You know when you post a post like this, that you could really regret it, but you guys are so good at lateral thinking that I have no doubt you'll come up with some good ideas....

So, our quartet has a chance to play a fairly formal short concert ( 2 x 15 minutes) for a local choir's fundraising evening. They are raising funds for "canine partners" http://www.caninepartners.org.uk/

And we thought it might be fun to have one (or more) canine related tunes in our repertoire.

My husband has suggested "how much is that doggy in the window" but I know you can come up with some good ideas.

If you can find any already written for SATB sax quartet (the free-er the better!), that would be really good, but we might be able to arrange something from a melody line.

So...do your worst! :D :w00t:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Had to dig for this a bit but the old "escape blues" Where the Southern Crosses the Dawg, sometimes Yellow Dawg, seems appropriate and could give you a few minutes of improvisation. Does it matter that it refers to railway lines rather than woofers? You'll obviously need those for the baritone.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Theme music from Lassie, Littlest Hobo? >:)

Elvis' Hound Dog (too obvious).
Zeppelin's Black Dog (from LZ IV/symbols)
Robert Johnson's Hellhound on my trail

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Or Just a walking the dog. If you don't know how to do it, I'll show you how to walk the dog,or hows about The Boxer Simon and Garfunkel

Young Col

Violinist Joe Venuti's Beatin' the Dog, written for his Blue Four in 1927, which included Eddie Lang (guitar) and bass sax master Adrian Rollini. I suspect the title is intended to mean defeating the blues (ie depression = black dog) rather than cruelty to domestic animals. A nice ragtimey piece to play if you could ever get the score.

Traditional jazz number called Salty Dog. Has some obscure sounding lyrics that are probably euphemistic.

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
  • Me and You and a Dog Named Boo
  • Snoopy

And something just for dog lovers :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Who let the Dogs Out?
Puppy Love
Bird Dog
Leroy Brown:

(And he's bad, bad Leroy Brown
The baddest man in the whole damn town.
Badder than old King Kong
Meaner than a junkyard dog

Young Col

Yard Dog Mazurka (Roger Segure for Jimmy Lunceford)
Hyena Stomp (Jelly Roll, Morton)
The Lady is a Tramp (definitely published - I have a Real Book version)
Wolverine Blues (Hoagy Carmichael)
Please Releash Me....

(well you asked for lateral, Mandy)

thomsax

Dog Ate My Reed (Robillard/James). Swing - R&B. Doug James is a bari player (Robbilard band, Roomful Of Blues ..)
Walking The Dog (Rufus Thomas).
Call Your Dogs Off (Robert W Spencer). Shuffle blues made by tenorman Bobby Hurricane Spener.

And then there is also the Swedsih song Lassie by Ainbusk Singers (music Benny Andersson, lyrics Marie Nilsson). A song that made a big impact on most adults/parents here in Sweden in the early 90's. Cute song. But also sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcKFA9dl2hw

Thomas

Kingsleyhk

Dog Gone Blues
Dogface Soldier
Doggin' Around
Dogs - Who and Pink Floyd
The Dogs of War
Dogtown Blues
Any classical adogio
Another One Bites The Dust - stretching it a bit
Anything by Bach
Bad to the bone
Bark For Barksdale
Barking at the moon (Jenny Lewis)
Cold Dog Soup (Guy Clark)
Dirty Old Egg-Suckin' Dog (Johnny Cash)
Every Dog Has Its Day (Floggin Molly)
A doggy day (in London town)
Old Shep
Git Along Little Dogies
Anything by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
Green Dog (Ry Cooder)
Hey Bulldog (Beatles)

That's enough - Ed

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Nick Drake- The Black Dog.... Led Zeppelin- Black Dog, Robert johnson- Hellhound on my Tail

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
There's a Henry Mancini tune called Experiment in Terror- which used to appear on our set lists as Experiments on Terriers..... ah, French Poodle by Sam Butera

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom