support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Does this fit in your ear?

Gosh that was different, not sure if I like it or not, I don't think it is something I would pour a glass of wine to sit and relax to, the repetition of the guitar loop started to get on my nerves a bit yet I quite liked it at one point.:)

Jx

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wade: I found it worth listening to, and indeed just started to play for the second time. Yes, this music is welcomed, and yes this music is appreciated. I suspect that the majority of folks here have musical tastes that are far wider than their postings here might reveal. I think it's wonderful that you are working on new material, and sharing it with us here. I don't always feel equipped to comment - I guess I don't yet completely understand your musical language, but I can appreciate the skill and get some sense of what you are about, and I like a lot, the fact that you do this. In fact even if I really hated what you were producing (which I don't) I would still say that your contributions here were welcomed. I like to be challenged: without that where does growth come from?

For me personally, I also appreciate the posts and the musical content of the other folk. For me, the "standards" also represent a challenge and an opportunity for growth. A tree when growing does not just seek new heights: it also broadens and strengthens the trunks and branches that are already in place, and indeed, its roots seek new sources.

This forum of Pete's is a big tent (a cafe in a tent? nm) and it has been to me a very welcoming place. I have learned an awful lot here and as a late-blooming musician have received much encouragement, both directly and from seeing the interactions between others. I see no point in limiting or constraining what I listen to, what I play or where my musical interest takes me. If I am open enough, I can learn from it all, from "Ballad of the Month", through to your tunes.

To repeat: yes it is welcomed, yes it is appreciated. Keep putting your tunes out there.

btw "Does This Fit in Your Ear" would be a great title for a piece!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! You make me smile Wade!
I really like this a lot! It was mentioned that this isn't something they would
sip wine to. However, I would, and thus diversity in subjectivity prevails.
Such wonderful dissonance by the guitar and you float over it quite nicely.

I think this could be a road to take and explore. You guys might be on the cusp of something
truly innovative!

Pretty darn cool!

Thanks all. Much appreciated. No problem in hearing from those who can't stand it as well. For me this music is a place I can visit, but certainly don't want to live there (the dark side?).

Will not edit choices of audience in the future. Special thanks to Mike for pushing this.

HI Wade,

I'm glad you posted this...I thought by the previous posts which I read before listening, that it would be free jazz and or discordant and, as you said "Dark"

I did not find it dark at all, it ambled along quite melodically, in fact it had great feeling!

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how you approached this before you started playing & what you were exploring!

Nice one
Ciao

HI Wade,

I'm glad you posted this...I thought by the previous posts which I read before listening, that it would be free jazz and or discordant and, as you said "Dark"

I did not find it dark at all, it ambled along quite melodically, in fact it had great feeling!

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how you approached this before you started playing & what you were exploring!

Nice one
Ciao

Glad you liked, but not sure how this doesn't come across as fairly dark. It is free jazz, there was no concept or thought before playing. The guitarist started playing and found something he liked and hit the loop button. We both played against it from there. This is very typical of how we play. Free jazz, open improv, (or any other name you want to call it, doesn't have to be everyone going in different directions. The object is to come together and create something that's more than the separate parts. Too bad that many seem to just play at the same time rather than together. Modal free play is a great improvisational exercise made easy by being modal instead of having changes. The limitation is that it can also become boring without some type of modulation. The feeling part is in just exploring the possibilities suggested by the loop and spinning phrases and melodies that you hear in your head.

It's not all that difficult, in fact relatively easy but you need to leave the comfort zone of written music, known tunes (standards), II V I progression or blues behind. Whatever vocabulary you have is your only limitation, but within that I think almost anybody who tries can bring out something that has integrity.

Have been challenged to post this tune on this site. It's kind of a downer and certainly not what many of you are used to. Without this being a strict poll I'd like to get some indication of whether this sort of music is welcomed/appreciated or not.
http://soundcloud.com/whampton-court/phantom-limbs

Of course it is welcomed. Very nice.

btw "Does This Fit in Your Ear" would be a great title for a piece!

Doh, I was going to nick that one!

Hi, loved the sax on it's own was very nice :thumb: ......but the backing, sorry was way too discordant and way too repetive - and jangled my nerves a bit! just my own opinion though :)

Hi, loved the sax on it's own was very nice :thumb: ......but the backing, sorry was way too discordant and way too repetive - and jangled my nerves a bit! just my own opinion though :)

I can understand that, although I like it, I think something like this is going to work better for many people as a soundtrack to something visual.

Yes couldn't agree more Pete, sounded like a film track to me.

Wade, thanks for the informative reply, you say this modal stuff is easy! I know I'd make playing over that sort of loop allot darker and discordant, and would be doublely discordant, and not pleasant to listen too!

Thumbs up

Cheers & ciao
Jimu

"Together We Create Beauty"

There's not much to this simple repeating phrase so you've got to make it into something. You're playing good lines that fit within the chords, but these aren't exactly a melodic line, just more background when what's needed is a focus and foreground. Hmm,Keep working at it boy, you're getting there...

Salad fingers? Creepy, but I like it! Thanks to others who gave a listen and your comments.

Fraser's comments are interesting. Agreed that there is much more that could be done melodically. Not sure what style you play Fraser, or if you play any free jazz. This was 100% improvised. It's not a written piece that was practiced and left wanting for a better melody. When playing totally extemporaneously you do what you can and hopefully not regret it later.

It's certainly my goal to play good melodies in any context and something I strive for. Sorry that this didn't meet with your approval.

There are bound to be linguistic differences between our cultures so hopefully your term for me: "boy", is just a turn of phrase as it's otherwise (in my culture) considered an insult, especially when coming from someone who is much younger.

Comments and criticism are always welcome and I can easily wear accurate observations such as yours Fraser. Hopefully there was nothing else meant in the rest of it.

There are bound to be linguistic differences between our cultures so hopefully your term for me: "boy", is just a turn of phrase as it's otherwise (in my culture) considered an insult
Absolutely no insult intended or implied Wade, sorry if you found my rather poor choice of words offensive, nothing was meant by it, maybe i should have used the term "young man" instead?

As for what style i play, well sometimes i wonder about that myself! but no free jazz. everything i do though is improvised.

Wade, if you look at a recent recording i put up you gave me the same advice as i gave you above, was really having a bit of fun to see if you noticed similarities.....thing is I've only been playing a very short time and that track was only played the one time and i was expected to completely improvise the whole thing straight off....i listened to the beginning, maybe 10-15 seconds before i was in and that was it....

Wade, if you look at a recent recording i put up you gave me the same advice as i gave you above, was really having a bit of fun to see if you noticed similarities.....thing is I've only been playing a very short time and that track was only played the one time and i was expected to completely improvise the whole thing straight off....i listened to the beginning, maybe 10-15 seconds before i was in and that was it....

Boy have you got a good memory! Would never have recognized that as something I'd given as advice, but it is good advice for me as well, and accepted.

Thank you for responding as I really didn't know how to take what you'd said. Still don't know what to do with "young man" when I'm about to have my 66th birthday in a few weeks. Old fart would be more accurate, or opinionated old fart.

Cheers.

This has no bearing on the original post, but I found this to be amusing, it's all down to cultural differences and colloquialisms and how often we misunderstand what someone else has writen, the most commonly know being "Fagg" In the last century in English public schools, a "Fagg" was a younger boy, who would do menial tasks for a prefect or senior boy. Nowadays, it is simply slang for a cigaret. In the USA however, it has a completely different meaning that I shan't go into on a family forum.

I read Frasers post with the use of the term "Boy" as a Lancastrian/Yorkhire way of referring to an acquaintance, or someone your know but are not too close to. "Boy" in the States, is a somewhat derogatory way of talking down to someone, such as the way negros were talked to in the early part of the century. Funnily enough, Wade then returned the comment "Boy you have got a good memory!" ;}

I guess that what I'm getting at is that if we ask for critique, or opinions, then we must be prepared to read and then maybe re-read the replies that we get, and we must also remember that we asked for critique in the first place. Not everyone likes the same things so be prepared to hear honest answers that you may not like.
If we all liked the same things the world would be a very boring place indeed!

Just out of interest, how would you punctuate the following? (Please don't cheat)

Woman without her man is nothing?

Woman without her man, is nothing.

Woman, without her, man is nothing.

One comma and it has an opposite meaning.

I remember the fight that nearly broke out on "Parkinson" when Ali called Frasier "Boy"

I still giggle when americans say fanny pack.