All fees from subs and sales are supporting musicians suffering hardship due to COVID-19
SYOS

Does the public buy CDs now?

randulo

Playing alto 2.25 years
Subscriber
I saw a mention of a band in front of a store selling CDs. A friend of mine just produced a CD of his music. I made and sold one in 1995, but this is 2020, with streaming services like Spotify, Amazon and Google music, YouTube and 20 other online services to listen to music. So my question is, do many people actually buy CDs?

I haven't bought a CD in ages. You can buy song by song online. Of course you can bring a CD home and rip it to your computer or put it on your phone, but is that done much?

Last edited:

Hipparion

I haven't bought a CD in ages. You can buy song by song online. Of course you can bring it home and rip it to your computer or put it on your phone, but is that done much?
Yep, I still do that. But I'm probably already kind of old...
It's usually from local groups over here (that I already heard playing), so that I can offer them to friends and family. The gift is then double: good music and the discovery of local talents.

thomsax

I buy CD's. But not as much as I use to do back in the 80's or 90's. Today the LP is back as well so I buy LP's when it's possible. But expensive to have a LP shipped from USA to Sweden. So overseas orders are CD's. I use to buy two CD's instead of one. Perfect Christmas gift, bithday present ..... . I buy if possible direct from the musician and having it signed as well. The musician also earns more money when we buy direct. .

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2.25 years
Subscriber
Maybe musicians are different than ordinary humans?

USA only:
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 07.56.15.png

World:
Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 07.59.00.png

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2.25 years
Subscriber
A friend of mine who works in the music business and teaches it told me about this:

For an annual fee, they put your music on all the various online outlets, including iTunes, and and any other mp3 sales site plus all the streaming services. I did this for a year or two with an album and later, a single. If I had a way to promote it, it would have worked out financially, but since I don't, I let it go. Meanwhile, the music was available in all the major outlets to buy or stream.

If you are serious about selling online, this is definitely the way to go, IMO. You need to be able to make the availability known through a web site or something, though.

thomsax

I miss all the good information that could be on a LP. With the CD the small CD booklet was not much compared to a LP sleeve with four sides. Nice pictures and lots of good readings. And the download music ....???? Hard to make additional sale with music for downloading. Don Wise (tenorist in Delbert McClinton Band for over 20 years) told me that he sold many records at Delbert McClintons shows. When people are happy and liked what they have heard/seen they want to buy a CD. It's the same when I arranged concerts/ shows. I sold CD's to increase the income for artsits/bands. You could also make a pre-offer with a CD. "Buy four tickets to the show and pay in advance, I'll send you a CD." And then they bought more CD's at the local . So the CD is good for the music life.
sctre.JPGscett.JPG

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
When I’ve been touring with Urban Voodoo Machine they reckon their physical media sales on the merch stall stands at about 75% vinyl and 25% CDs.

Personally I still occasionally buy CDs because they’re cheap and easy to digitize onto my phone..

CliveMA

I haven't bought or played a CD in years, probably since about 2010. I did download some albums but probably not since about 2015. I did copy all my owned CDs onto harddisk for play on my PC. I listen to Youtube and Spotify a lot. There are some music biodocs on Netflix, too. I don't have any nostalgia about the passing of CDs. I much prefer Spotify.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2.25 years
Subscriber
A lot of computers don't even have CD readers these days, and many homes don't have the players, but I have no stats, I just believe that most media is consumed either by download or streaming. When I posted I was thinking more about the sale of CDs at gigs and so on. Yes, there's vinyl, it's doing well apparently, but I have no turntable and don't know anyone else who does, either. I do possess a USB cassette player, to digitize the hundreds of cassettes I own. Those will degrade physically, but I'll never catch up to putting them all on a drive. I personally wouldn't burn a CD for sale, but then I don't play enough anywhere to try to sell them. Last time I played, I gave a way several USB keys with some music on them.

CliveMA

My ASUS Zenbook does not have a CD/DVD player. I've never missed it until now. I just bought Pete's learning material and it is quite a drama to figure out how I'm supposed to watch the DVD he sent!

Clivey

Donated all my "hard" media back in 2015 but truth told had not bought stuff for years before that. I Had super fast fibre at 40 odd quid a month so could download an album track in less than 2 seconds. .
I still burn copies of CD's of material of my own stuff for people who ask. "Not too many then".
I always upload either wav or flac to my bandcamp pages and soundclick so punters get the choice to download and burn CD's record tapes or whatever ever exotic route they want to go..
Lordy I don't have a HiFi either these days ,2 phones,three old laptops and a Bluetooth buskers box
So pretty well everything I listen to is through cans or buds.
That's pretty normal now. I see so many huge speaker sets round the charity shop s going for peanuts. Try these beauts out at home these days and the quaritine snatch squads likely to boot your door down and take you and them away.
Really not sure where future is with Sonic's but for sure my ears are not greatly fussy I value the message more than the bottle.

Lol
Keep well folks

rhysonsax

Yes, I buy new CDs at (jazz) gigs and occasionally in shops or via online retailers.

I also buy a lot of used CDs from a couple of local shops with good stock and decent prices.

All of my CDs are ripped straight away and I hardly ever play them in any of my CD players.

I also buy music via download. Some of the Hal Leonard playalong book packages have ditched the CDs and moved to downloadable tracks.

Rhys

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
mmmm... being an old-fashioned 'audiophile' I still have 700 or so LPs and over 3,500 CDs. I have to say that I prefer to have a physical object.... I've recently used Spotify for streaming the background music at my 60th birthday afternoon tea party, which was my first use of streaming. Trouble is Spotify for example is not very good for classical music. Yes, there's piles of stuff there, but not necessarily the version you want and it is in some ways a bit limited in terms of depth of repertoire

lissa

I don't think so....!!
but live concerts are canceled due to corona and may people buy cd of those events which are held offline. These flus will return cd era again.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2.25 years
Subscriber
Everyone who has posted here is a musician, right? So, I guess we're "people", too. But the "people" in the title referred more to the general potential audience. I changed it to "the public".

I don't know anyone who owns a CD player or buys CDs. They all buy digital or stream. It's very true that, back in the days of record albums, the cover was a big part of the object. Now, it's the Instagram or Twitter feed of the artist(s) that replaces that, sort of. Personally, I have always been uninterested in streaming music and get most of my listening from my digital collection, to which I rarely add. Discovery of newer music and artists is pretty much via YouTube, or occasionally, on a TV show, because many now use modern songs, sometimes during the show, sometimes as the theme song. "True Detective" season 3 had "Death Letter" by Cassandra Wilson. Anyway, that's just me, and I have no intention of pressing a CD ever again.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
As a very amateur musician I don't consider myself different from any other non musical instrument playing person, or more informed or knowledgeable or more passionate about Artists, but it's your thread title.

I've not purchased any physical format music for longer than I remember. I never really got attached to any musical format (except for my Mum's small collection of 45's She had as a child, that I used to listen to as a kid on the material covered box record player She had, but that's a different story). I've bought and owned plenty of CD's in the past, but they never meant much to me. Never really got into vinyl, but I can see why that format might mean a lot to some people.

Streaming is fine for me.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2.25 years
Subscriber
So you could consider yourself as "general public"? :)
I never really got attached to any musical format
That's an excellent point, format. I have several DATs and no way to play them. I didn't get into mini-disc, but I know some people who did. I've already mentioned cassettes. I also have video tapes in two formats. I have the cameras to play them, too, but nothing worth playing, they were used mostly for work projects. When CD first came out, we already wondered how long they'd last. Does anyone think they'll be around in any significant way in 20 years? Would it be fair to say that most music is now played on phones or mp3 players? I'm not sure, but I would not be surprised. I do believe most music is heard through ear pods. (I have a little time, maybe I'll look those stats up?)

This is the best I could come up with on short notice, but it's from 5 years ago!
listen.jpg

PS, "smart speakers" are growing in popularity and are predicted to become the #1 way to listen at home.

Last edited:
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom