All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Miscellaneous Does anybody have a Xaphoon ?

DaveT

A couple of years ago I began my sax journey the cheap way - why buy a sax when I can get a Xaphoon?
'Orrible thing! IF you can play tenor I am sure it is a great little instrument to have around.
Sold it on ebay last month.

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Subscriber
I found it more difficult to play than a sax, in that the fingering was very awkward. Eventually Is. old it.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Obviously it's more difficult to play. It's not like all those mechanisms on a saxophone are there to make it harder.
I don't think it is actually obvious. Many people might think that because the instrument looks simpler it is.

But I totally get why people might be surprised that it is actually more difficult.

LIke poeple think the recorder is easy because kids play it at school. It isn't and that is not obvious really IMO.

Dibbs

You're right Pete. It's probably only obvious when you've played a few different woodwinds.

Also, simpler instruments are generally designed for simpler music. It would be masochistic to play the Brahms concerto on a clarinet from Mozart's time. So you shouldn't expect to be able to be able to play Giant Steps on a xaphoon. OTOH it wouldn't surprise me too much if both have been done. I've heard Coltrane's Giant Steps solo played on recorder.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I've heard Coltrane's Giant Steps solo played on recorder.
But was that to adapt Samuel Johnstone 'like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not well done; but you are surprised to find it done at all.'

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom