All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs does a lig make a difference or is it in my head...

jazzdoh

thats the thing i was only on a 21/2 tried the 2 it just sounds different.. maybe time for it to break in.. one of those days i think.. thought playing fine on a 21/2 new one would just be the same..
The inconsistency of reeds has plagued saxophone players for decades, try a different brand some are more consistent than others.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
But I draw the line at impractical ligatures, such as Marc Jean and Olegature, even if they sound good. (I have one of each, but they are too much bother to use, so they mostly stay in my "unused" box.)

Out of interest what's wrong with the Marc Jean, I own the mark one for tenor and use it on my PPT and its a fine lig thats fits well and is like many 2 screw ligs practical and ease to use.

I agree, it's a plain 2 screw that just fits very very well. Obviously if you have the wrong one for your mouthpiece it won't be so good.

The Marc Jean I have is single-screw. It’s big, and doesn’t come with a mouthpiece cap. I find it impossible to adjust the mouthpiece on the cork without the ligature slipping.

jazzdoh

The Marc Jean I have is single-screw. It’s big, and doesn’t come with a mouthpiece cap. I find it impossible to adjust the mouthpiece on the cork without the ligature slipping.
I've not tried the new mark 2 for me its too expensive, but the mark one doesn't slip and does come with a cap.
I have said before that some manufacturers are charging premium prices for ligs and then selling caps separately which I think is disgraceful.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Marc Jean:

ppt-marc-jean.jpg

BuescherBob

Just bought an Ed pillinger mouthpiece bronzite for tenor sax i currently play a tj raw.. I really like the piece its dark but has some projection. In my head i have always found that the standard two nut type uf lig play easier for me than the single leather type. Could a lig or the loss (or addition) of a locking screw really make a difference. I'm still learning and seem to find bottom C and the pinky cluster notes are easier to hit with the 2 screw variety...
First I love Ed Pillinger's mouthpieces. I've been using them for years on alto and tenor. Also, he's a great guy and a pleasure to do business with. As for the ligature question, Most importantly the Ligature must fit the mouthpiece properly, after that its trial and error. I've found that certain ligatures work better on certain mouthpieces and reed combinations. It likely has to do with the fit as mentioned and then the pressure applied to the reed that promotes a very good seal between the reed and mouthpiece. Every ligature will apply pressure in a different way and as a result certain ligatures will work better or worse on different setups. Find what responds best for you.

eb424

First I love Ed Pillinger's mouthpieces. I've been using them for years on alto and tenor. Also, he's a great guy and a pleasure to do business with. As for the ligature question, Most importantly the Ligature must fit the mouthpiece properly, after that its trial and error. I've found that certain ligatures work better on certain mouthpieces and reed combinations. It likely has to do with the fit as mentioned and then the pressure applied to the reed that promotes a very good seal between the reed and mouthpiece. Every ligature will apply pressure in a different way and as a result certain ligatures will work better or worse on different setups. Find what responds best for you.
Hi thanks any suggestions for a lig that fits eds tenor bronzite. The cage type of lig seem a bit tight. Would a metal bari lig be better.. What do you use.. thanks

Eddie

MMM

Hi thanks any suggestions for a lig that fits eds tenor bronzite. The cage type of lig seem a bit tight. Would a metal bari lig be better.. What do you use.. thanks

Eddie
Have you asked Ed Pillinger? I'm sure he could suggest some.

thomsax

For me a ligature that that just hold the reeds on the sides of stock works best. I use a Rovner Ed Daniels but I have other ligs that is designed in the same way,

The ligture to the left is best for me.

rovnerlig.JPG

Colin the Bear

Is that not the same lig. the other way up? I use a textile lig. like the one on the left. Regardless of which side the screw ends up.

thomsax

Is that not the same lig. the other way up? I use a textile lig. like the one on the left. Regardless of which side the screw ends up.
The Rovner Star (left) is not working on my mouthpieces if turn it upside down. It doesn't hold the reed in a good way. The design is meant to to be the screw up. The Rovner Lite lig is not working with the screw down. So the ligatures matters for me.
rlig.JPG
rovnerlite.JPG

eb424

Need to pack out the piece a little.. funny the lig i was using was tight.. rovner fits well but single screw for me seems to muffle the sound.. i prefer 2 screws..new one almost ideal fit bit of packing thats all..

LostCircuits

There are differences but they mostly stem from lig A being slightly longer/shorter than lig B, which most of the time will result in a shift of the contact area. Also, some ligatures just suck, cut in the reed etc. which changes the reed. I think the goal of a ligature should be to provide uniform pressure on the reed to establish a good seal without physically changing the reed by notching or warping it.

Jazz Is All

As Pete and a few others have said, it makes not one whit of difference unless you think that heavy mass screws, nuts, bolts and dingle balls on your horn do something to your sound. My suggestion in that case is to get a Le Freque first and then find a matching pair of earrings.

No seriously, find the YouTube video by the guy who played his horn with everything imaginable to substitute for a lig from a rubber band to duct tape and you'll hear the proof that the whole lig thing is a marketing scam. I used to use rubber O rings I got at the hardware store and they worked great. All a lig does is hold the reed down on the table. Period. It does not contribute anything sonc or acoustical to the sound the setup produces.

LostCircuits

As Pete and a few others have said, it makes not one whit of difference unless you think that heavy mass screws, nuts, bolts and dingle balls on your horn do something to your sound. My suggestion in that case is to get a Le Freque first and then find a matching pair of earrings.

No seriously, find the YouTube video by the guy who played his horn with everything imaginable to substitute for a lig from a rubber band to duct tape and you'll hear the proof that the whole lig thing is a marketing scam. I used to use rubber O rings I got at the hardware store and they worked great. All a lig does is hold the reed down on the table. Period. It does not contribute anything sonc or acoustical to the sound the setup produces.
Yes, it is true but it is also true that a badly designed or manufactured ligature can make things a lot worse.

Top Bottom