All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs does a lig make a difference or is it in my head...

eb424

Just bought an Ed pillinger mouthpiece bronzite for tenor sax i currently play a tj raw.. I really like the piece its dark but has some projection. In my head i have always found that the standard two nut type uf lig play easier for me than the single leather type. Could a lig or the loss (or addition) of a locking screw really make a difference. I'm still learning and seem to find bottom C and the pinky cluster notes are easier to hit with the 2 screw variety...

Wonko

I know that the general consensus is that the ligature makes no difference, or not much of a difference. My former teacher said that the public won't hear a difference but he notices a difference (some ligatures make it easier for him).Earlier this year I did the test here at home with the 2 ligatures that I have here.
1 screw metal ligature: sounded significantly brighter than the other
Rovner Star ligature: sounded darker/ warmer
My wife (who plays the guitar) confirmed my findings.
I play tenor, and use a Otto link HR mouthpiece on a Yamaha YTS32.
This is of course just 1 test, but for me, it does maken some difference.

eb424

Thanks wonko i do for some reason agree the two screwed types seem an easier blow.. dont know if its because you can adjust both screws or the placement of the screw on the reed... it wasnt so much the effect on tone..

Adrian63

I honestly don't know is the answer : but a little food for thought ?
If it absolutely makes no difference then why do most of us spend fifty quid on one instead of using one of the many two screws we have in the box....

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
For some people, the ligature doesn't seem to make a difference, but it matters quite a lot to me.
I can hear the difference between different ligatures, and frankly I don't care whether other people can because if one ligature makes me feel more comfortable then that's sufficient reason to use it.

But I draw the line at impractical ligatures, such as Marc Jean and Olegature, even if they sound good. (I have one of each, but they are too much bother to use, so they mostly stay in my "unused" box.)

jazzdoh

My personal view is that I can't tell any difference in the sound between a dozen of ligs that I own, but my hearing is not the best.
Go with one that fits and holds the reed well, thats the priority and if you happen to like the look of the lig well that's a bonus,

jazzdoh

But I draw the line at impractical ligatures, such as Marc Jean and Olegature, even if they sound good. (I have one of each, but they are too much bother to use, so they mostly stay in my "unused" box.)
Out of interest what's wrong with the Marc Jean, I own the mark one for tenor and use it on my PPT and its a fine lig thats fits well and is like many 2 screw ligs practical and ease to use.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Out of interest what's wrong with the Marc Jean, I own the mark one for tenor and use it on my PPT and its a fine lig thats fits well and is like many 2 screw ligs practical and ease to use.
I agree, it\'s a plain 2 screw that just fits very very well. Obviously if you have the wrong one for your mouthpiece it won't be so good.

eb424

TBF I think the whole sax thing is a tad frustrating:).. Finally a sax I love a mouthpiece a vandoren green 2 1/2 well broken in thought i had been through it all.. Tried 2 reeds out a new box couldn't get a note next one stuffy.. changed lig a bit better head brick wall bang...Thought the reeds would all play the same i know it takes a time to break them in but....

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I think an 'argument' one hears re fancy ligs has more to do with blowing response than tone. At east this is what I hear from some advanced players. Ligs designed to provide a secure mounting to the mouthpiece while allowing more vibration or what-not of the reed which ostensibly 'improves' the blowing response.
Anyways, that's the usual 'hook' argument....

Colin the Bear

Try playing without a ligature and you'll see what difference it makes.
So Excited Reaction GIF

eb424

thats the thing i was only on a 21/2 tried the 2 it just sounds different.. maybe time for it to break in.. one of those days i think.. thought playing fine on a 21/2 new one would just be the same..

Top Bottom