Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Do you leave your mouthpiece on?

Mamos

Hi All

Just wondering if you leave your mouthpiece on the crook for extended periods?

I like my sax to be ready to play so I can just grab it and play but my main piece- otto link STM- is quite a tight fit and compresses the cork so that if I try another mouthpiece it tend to be too loose.

I do now tend to take the piece of when it is not being played but what do others do?

mamos

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I do and also leave the reed on the mp,alway's have and never done anything bad to the cork,as for the reed i keep it on till it die's.Dave Sanborn on his master class at Selmer Paris HQ on Youtube also leave's his mp,reed on till the death.Check out the masterclass of him talking about his obsession with reed's etc.

Col9

I dont leave reeds or mp on, I have one of those rico reed cases thats hold 4 reeds flat by the the tips while they dry. I generally get about 8 or 9 months out of a reed. (just checked back in the BR archive) This ones been good since sept last year, and the prev one since Jan. I was only getting around 2-3 months before as they warped when drying and then split.

This is gonna be another each to their own thread isnt it ;}
Col.

thomsax

I take my mpc of!

I clean/swab the neck after I've played and I put some corkcrease on the cork as well. I clean my mpc with after every time I played. I'm on metal, so it's easy.

Thomas

cmelodysax

Mouthpiece always stays on unless I'm switching to another one, or packing the sax away - which I only do if I'm either off out with it, or it is in danger of being messed with by guests... I enjoy 'spontaneous' playing, that doesn't happen if I have to unpack/assemble everything ! Doesn't really matter about the cork being compressed, there's such a variation in mouthpiece shank bores that I often need some ptfe tape when I swich to another.

Reed stays on unless I feel the need to try another, for whatever reason, or I won't be playing it for a while (days). Cleaning the neck ? Hmmm, that's a bit of an alien concept, does get done 'sometimes' when I notice that a mouthpiece is a bit grubby so needs a clean - so if I'm using a metal mouthpiece that's not very often... :shocked:

Just checked my pulse and I haven't died yet from any king of poisoning... I suppose I could ask myself how often do I clean the lip plate on my flute - not in living memory... Now the flute itself does often get swabbed out, but only 'cos I'm a wet player, and the headjoint gets a flick or two (as does a sax neck and mouthpiece). Guinnness in, moisture out... That's it ! Guinness must be an antiseptic... :) "Another pint of Guinness please", must keep those bugs away.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomsax

I've got an almost compulsive behavour when it comes to cleaning mouthpieces, saxes.... and my friends use to laugh at me. After I've played (I think we covered this topic on the old BR) I use to:
1. Take of the mouthpiece from the neck and the neck from the saxbody.
2. Wipe/dry the reed and place it in a reedgard.
3. Roll a bit of good paper and dry the inside of the neck. Once a month I use to rinse the neck with warm water.
4. Roll a paper and insert it to the bow. Tilt the sax and the paper will take care of the moisture.
5. Pull a swab through the sax at least three times.
6. Insert a Pad-Saver and twist it around to make sure it reaches out to the toneholes. Let the Pad-saver stay in the sax for a couple of hours.
7. Dry all pads with padpaper (no powder!) or a padswab.
8. Take some corkgrease on the cork of the neck.
9. Rinse the mouthpiece with warm water. Take a drop of detergent an rub the mouthpiece with a small and soft toothbrush. Rinse the mouthpiece and dry it. Place in "mouthpiece pouch".

If any of the steps above are not done, I punished myself for being a very naughty boy .... ;}

Other saxplayers use to polish their saxes with the mpc and neck still mounted on. Shiny saxes! The pads look like and are in condition as if the were hundreds years old.

Thomas

cmelodysax

Thomas - I used to do things properly, but then I fell into bad company - guitarists who just used to wipe off the strings and neck, lay the guitar in the case, and be out the door... I didn't want to be the last one in the bar !

TomMapfumo

Hi Mamos!

Yeh, fairly obsessional about dissembling the structure once I have called it a day - reed dipped in mouthwash then wiped and put in Vandoren Hygrocase (always last about 9 months plus.). Mouthpiece given quick wash in cold water and dried with pull thro', usually left with ligature on/old reed to maintain shape; neck/crook also has pull thro, and sax dried and put on stand until next used. With brass tend to be very scrupulous - bathing the instruments I am currently playing about once a month - mouthpieces washed and brushed through/polished, valves/slides greased/oiled etc. General message seems to be that it doesn't matter how old an instrument is - if its been looked after well it will last for ever. Also find time to play the beasts;}:w00t:

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

jonf

I take mine to bits, give it all a quick clean and put away. I'd like to be able to leave the mouthpiece and reed on for some spontaneous playing, but there are two reasons why not. Firstly, two small very active kids running around. They're generally very good, but accidents could happen. Secondly, with so many saxes, which woul stay out? It'd really test the patience of my wife to leave them all out.

OP
Mamos

Mamos

My sax is hanging quite high up on a wall away from wagging tails etc

This means it is always there ready to play when the mood takes me but I have found that the reed dries out really quickly being near the ceiling where it is warmer.

I now tend to take the mouthpiece off when not playing

mamos

Pee Dee

I've got an almost compulsive behavour when it comes to cleaning mouthpieces, saxes.... and my friends use to laugh at me. After I've played (I think we covered this topic on the old BR) I use to:
1. Take of the mouthpiece from the neck and the neck from the saxbody.
2. Wipe/dry the reed and place it in a reedgard.
3. Roll a bit of good paper and dry the inside of the neck. Once a month I use to rinse the neck with warm water.
4. Roll a paper and insert it to the bow. Tilt the sax and the paper will take care of the moisture.
5. Pull a swab through the sax at least three times.
6. Insert a Pad-Saver and twist it around to make sure it reaches out to the toneholes. Let the Pad-saver stay in the sax for a couple of hours.
7. Dry all pads with padpaper (no powder!) or a padswab.
8. Take some corkgrease on the cork of the neck.
9. Rinse the mouthpiece with warm water. Take a drop of detergent an rub the mouthpiece with a small and soft toothbrush. Rinse the mouthpiece and dry it. Place in "mouthpiece pouch".

If any of the steps above are not done, I punished myself for being a very naughty boy .... ;}

Other saxplayers use to polish their saxes with the mpc and neck still mounted on. Shiny saxes! The pads look like and are in condition as if the were hundreds years old.

Thomas
Cor Blimey! How often do you play? Once a week?
I usually take my mouthpiece off after playing at home, remove reed, wife and put into reed case. Mop out mouthpiece and place in drawer, with cover on. Remove neck, and mop out with a neck mop. Tip sax to empty of moisture, and pull through once in both directions. Replace neck, and place on stand. Unless it's at band practice, then it just gets bunged into case, and might get a clean when I get home, more often not though. There is an exception to all this though, if when playing, the plaintiff cry of 'dinner's on the table' comes wafting up from below, then all of the above gets neglected,
as to be late at the table would be a sin my dear wife would not tolerate!
:shocked:

dooce

Gosh! I am impressed by all this attention to hygiene. For me, unless it is going out to a gig or rehearsal, the assembled sax goes back on the stand with the mouthpiece protector on, the door gets shut to keep the dog out and, er.... that's it!

tengu01

Mouthpiece off

I always take the mouthpiece off and the reed as well. Had a few instances of reeds drying up and warping when left out. Also, as I'm travelling at the moment, I don't really have the option of leaving my sax out and assembled.

When at home, I used to keep my alto and tenor on stands in a safe corner (no children running around to worry about) but take the mouthpiece off and put the reeds away.

Different strokes....

losaavedra

My alto is kept upside down on a bracket on the wall, when I'm not playing it, with crook on, mp on, reed on mp and strap already connected. So to instantly play the thing its just a lift from bracket, turn it up the right way and a quick check for any stuck-down pads. Reeds seem to survive this stay-put treatment for me better than when I used to do the 'dismantle and clean-up' routine each time I played. I don't pre-wet my reeds beforehand either ... I can generate quite enough moisture with a few initial notes to get the reed damp as I'm a long-term sufferer of Hattersley Syndrome! Nevertheless the whole instrument gets a good clean up now and again, but I'm sufficiently lazy to restrict such housekeeping (and very un-musical) tasks to leap years, there being an 'r' in the month, a full moon ... and any other excuse I can muster. That's my take ... obviously I'll never get to Heaven with that disgraceful behaviour!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

cmelodysax

Gosh! I am impressed by all this attention to hygiene. For me, unless it is going out to a gig or rehearsal, the assembled sax goes back on the stand with the mouthpiece protector on, the door gets shut to keep the dog out and, er.... that's it!
On the subject of dogs, mine (collie cross) was scared stiff by the noise of the sax (at first...) until I let her sniff it before every session. Whereas as the daughters terrier loves to 'howl along' - especially with harmonics. He can get higher than me !

But I would imagine that bouncy labs or alsatians could wreak havok :shocked: with instruments on stands.

Pjonah

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I have left my old Brilhart Super Ebolin on my Tenor crook for about ten years, until recently when Dooce put his mouthpiece on the old girl for a run out.

Mouthpiece reed always stay together until the death too.

Suddenly I feel scummy:shocked:

thomsax

Pee Dee wrote:
Cor Blimey! How often do you play? Once a week?

It just take me about five minutes to get my sax ready for the next seance. I'm a chef and we use to have "Mise en place" (something like "everything on it's right place"?) in the kitchen. So it's "Mise en place" for me in the saxophone world as well. As I told you my friends use to laugh at me, and I use to laugh at them, with all their stickey keys, squeaking reeds .... . ;}

I play almost every day.

Thomas

Top Bottom