All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Saxophones Do you know what Selmer model this is....

DavidUK

Café Supporter
:confused:

Can you identify it....

406810554.jpg

406810557.jpg

Thanks for any help!

:thumb:

jonf

According to The Sax and Brass Book, it looks very much like a Super Sax. Not all that super really. I'd rather have a Buescher True Tone for less than half the money.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
The photos in your OP are not on the ebay site, looks like it might be a different horn. Were your photos from the same seller?

The seller is right I think in that £2000 was a bit optimistic.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
The photos in your OP are not on the ebay site, looks like it might be a different horn. Were your photos from the same seller?

The seller is right I think in that £2000 was a bit optimistic.

He emailed me the photos. Selmer serial number is 5958 or 5959, not 5659 as he says.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Am I the only one that sees a different number on the bell? i suspect that 5958 is not a serial number, but a part number.

I cannot see if it has a front F

ProfJames

Elementary member
Serial number looks like 12xxxx which means -

The next model that Selmer Saxophones officially produced was the "Modele 26." This model had a slightly less stuffy sound and featured an elaborite engraved trademark stamp for the Selmer company. Many of these horns were engraved, but far less elaborately than their earlier counterparts. There was a period of transition between the two models where some horns had no model number at all. The serial numbers of these horns is generally around the 10,000 mark. Experimentation would become more daring with the next two models. Selmer saxophone's next models were a mixture of concepts and design that would help them become the leader of the saxophone wars which were heating up through the 1920's saxophone craze. Professional players of the day called these horns Pea Shooters or Cigar Cutters (based on the unique octave key mechanism). While these horns were officially called Selmer Super Saxophones, the nicknames would become their name in the history books.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
This one does not have the cigar cutter octave mechanism, but at first sight I thought SSS, like Jonf. A second thought pointed me in the direction of a model 26, but there is still something I am missing.

Adolphe is another model that I am thinking of. I think Kev has one to compare.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Am I the only one that sees a different number on the bell? i suspect that 5958 is not a serial number, but a part number.

No, I saw that on the first photo in the OP, then the earlier number in the photo on the ebay site, hence the confusion over whether it's a super (12xxx) or a Model 26 (5xxx). Maybe the bell is a different model to the body ????

My Adolphe had the serial number on the bell, I then had a Model 22, which may also have had the serial number on the bell.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
No, I saw that on the first photo in the OP, then the earlier number in the photo on the ebay site, hence the confusion over whether it's a super (12xxx) or a Model 26 (5xxx). Maybe the bell is a different model to the body ????

My Adolphe had the serial number on the bell, I then had a Model 22, which may also have had the serial number on the bell.

I read somewhere the other day that the sax serial number is on the bell and the Selmer serial number by the D key. Hence I messaged him to ask for the D number. The 12xxx number would make it an Adolphe Sax, which it isn't.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Not for me Pete but .....is it a good purchase at the price? Or because it may have a different bell.....?

It depends what the price is, it's had one bid at £550 but I would think it could cost £300 to get in good condition so if I was after an early Selmer I wouldn't pay more than about £700 or £800 for it. My Modele 22 was 800, I think I sold it for £900 but that was in good nick.

I read somewhere the other day that the sax serial number is on the bell and the Selmer serial number by the D key. Hence I messaged him to ask for the D number. The 12xxx number would make it an Adolphe Sax, which it isn't.

I thought 12xxx would make it a Super (Radio Improved or Cigar Cutter) NB: Cigar Cutter is not a model name, it's a nickname due to the hole in the octave mech.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
I thought 12xxx would make it a Super (Radio Improved or Cigar Cutter) NB: Cigar Cutter is not a model name, it's a nickname due to the hole in the octave mech.

Can't see the "cutter" in the octave mech pic. I'm taking the serial numbers from: http://www.saxpics.com/?v=ser&manID=18

Are all Model 26's Cigar Cutters? If it is a Model 26, should it have "Modele 26" on the bell too.

Hmmm........

jbtsax

Café Supporter
The only Selmer I could find with most of the features of the saxophone in question is this one, New Large Bore . The only feature missing is the G# trill key between the F and E keys, a common Conn feature, that I have not been able to find on any Selmer.

Having a pearl on the alternate F# key and the G# key limits the possibilities as does the lack of a rocking octave mechanism and fancy bell key guards. I found this information as well on Saxpics: The Selmer Adolphe Sax Unfortunately no pictures are provided.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Can't see the "cutter" in the octave mech pic. I'm taking the serial numbers from: http://www.saxpics.com/?v=ser&manID=18

Are all Model 26's Cigar Cutters? If it is a Model 26, should it have "Modele 26" on the bell too.

Hmmm........

No there is no cutter. But modele 26s aren't Cigar Cutters.

I think the big question with this horn is which is the serial number.

No the big questions are

How well does it play?
How much will you need to spend on it?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
It's not an A Sax, these didn't have any Selmer branding. Serial numbers were up to about 3K, depending on which source you read. Earlier real A Sax saxes had much higher serial numbers, unless you're talking 19th century.

Members online

No members online now.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom