SYOS

do you know this piece of music?

Pauline

Subscriber
Does anyone know the name and composer of a piece of classical music which involves the performers gradually departing?

My husband would like this for Christmas but he can't remember the composer and I've never even heard it before.

(I bet OG knows!)

jadoube

I'll find out tonight - if nobody responds before my lesson.

My teacher's orchestra did it recently. Solemnly getting up one by one, bowing the conductor and walking off stage. Culminating in the 11 year old alto walking to the front pushing the conductor off stage, nicking the stick and waggling it for the final few players to depart.

Highly enjoyable.

Taz

Busking Oracle
I think it may be Haydn's "Farewell" Symphony I've attached this. I hope it's the right one.

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
There is also a jazz / bigband equivalent, 'Farewell Blues'. Believe it was used as the 'close' of the first half of Ted Heath concerts, where they did a one chorus solo and then walked off. Have seen it used in reverse for the start of the second.

Might make a stocking filler but as CaSLM's Official Moll, we all know your leg would be better. ;}

Oh dear, I've blushed.:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
If you're looking for an excellent performance of this, the Vienna Philharmonic's New Years Concert 2009 has it. There's also a hilarious performance of the Radetsky March, Barenboim at his funniest.... DVD: Decca 074 3317.

Top Bottom