All profit supporting   special needs music

Beginner Do I have to play that?

What

What

Locality
Pittsburgh P.A.
Well I received my copy of "The Jazz Method" (I love Amazon prime) and I already like it a lot. I've only had the chance to read the first chapter and will start using it along with my sax for lesson one tomorrow. It looks like it is a lot more friendly to the self-taught student and the exercises and recommendations are a plus for me. I can't wait to practice the first simple tune, unfortunately it's past midnight here I can't wake the neighbors sadly. Thanks again for the recommendation it just feels better.

TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
It'll feel better because it IS better............................................:thumb:
I hope that it really helps you playing the saxophone, and provides good challenges and learning opportunities!

Kind regards
Tom

Targa

Targa

Among the pigeons
Locality
KIC 8462852
I can't wait to practice the first simple tune, unfortunately it's past midnight here I can't wake the neighbors sadly.

Play louder.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I just bought "The easy fake forties Book" 100 songs in the key of C. Lots of good tunes for grown ups. Once you've learned a tune take it up or down a tone or go mad and go up in thirds. It was on amazon £15. The 100 tunes for buskers series has lots of good tunes and should keep you interested. There's a jazz one that I've had for years and there's also some that have companion Bb copies.

Exercises and practice is all very well but it needs interspersing with a bit of fun to keep the flame alive. Who ever heard of a serious sax player? It ain't an oboe or a crumhorn.

What

What

Locality
Pittsburgh P.A.
Thanks for even more suggestions. I am already finding the new book a lot more fun. Even if I am playing tunes that are a bit simple I don't mind at all. The play along tracks give a great opportunity to check the timing as well. I will have to check out that "fake forties book" too as soon as the power problem in my building is fixed. I have power but no net and the lower half of the building has no power at all poor kids.