support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Diy

Tommy Ng

Hi

Wonder if anyone know how to take this lock out. I removed all 10 screws but the lock still stuck at that position.

Picture 1057.jpg

:confused:

All 10? I can see four the on the plate that screw into the door (presumably another four on the other side) plus two on the bit where thew door closes against the frame.

But there must be at least another two that hold the handles onto the shaft that goes through the door, or some other way that they are fixed.

There might be 12 screws.
There's sometimes a plate fitted over the bit where the catch and lock comes out of the door - if so, remove the plate and you'll probably find there are another two screws fitted that are holding the lock in place.

You'll also have to remove the handle before you can withdraw the lock.

Worth a try.

Regards,

gotta pull off the handles first. Might be a set screw somewhere. Go to the local diy shop and look at one. You'll see how the whole thing goes together.

Hi

After removing the 10 screws, the handle+plate still stuck in that position, so i couldn't see anothing behind the handle plate.
I went to B&Q to look for this kind of lock but they not selling it?? Maybe out of stock. This is commonly used as toilet locks.

I suspect it is the knob holding everything together, but i couldn't remove the knob.

are there some tiny grub screw holding each handle into the spindle on each side, and holding the lock knob in place too, usually just one on each handle. These usually need a tiny screw-driver, or sometimes an allen (hex) key.
Otherwise, was it fitted just after painting, and is well and truly stuck to the door as the paint set, in which case you might need to prize it off using a thin screw-driver?

Also, looking closer, the brass plate on the edge of the door needs to come off first. That is almost certainly stuck on with paint!! Screw-driver to prize it off!

Last edited by a moderator:
How many saxophonists does it take to change a toilet door lock...?

;)
Eleven up until now....including Pete with his hammer...oh geeezzz! i hope that Rampone never starts to play up!

Anyway the handles are connected to that brass plate with the four screw holes with circlips on the inside, so you need to get the four screws out first, which you say you've already done so my guess is there must be a small grub screw holding one if not both lock handles in place....remove these, remove the brass plates with the handles still in place, pull out the square bar, undo the two screws holding the latch plate in and withdraw the lock assembly....Simples! failing that call a trades man, you know it's going to be cheaper in the long run.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to remove the lock from the toilet door? always thought it was the other way round?

Usually it's the plate and handle on the outside of the door that come off as one (no grub screw). Use a "Stanley" blade, not a screwdriver, and tap it GENTLY in between the plate and the door. The plate and handle should come off leaving the square bar sticking out. You can tap more blades, one on top of the other and build up a wedge.
The word is "Gently".

Eleven up until now....including Pete with his hammer...oh geeezzz! i hope that Rampone never starts to play up!

Anyway the handles are connected to that brass plate with the four screw holes with circlips on the inside, so you need to get the four screws out first, which you say you've already done so my guess is there must be a small grub screw holding one if not both lock handles in place....remove these, remove the brass plates with the handles still in place, pull out the square bar, undo the two screws holding the latch plate in and withdraw the lock assembly....Simples! failing that call a trades man, you know it's going to be cheaper in the long run.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to remove the lock from the toilet door? always thought it was the other way round?

Just wanna oil the handle :)

I couldn't see those "grub screws" as i couldn't see behind those handle plates.

And once you get the handle off, make sure you don't allow the door to close.... Especially if the handle is off on both sides, cos if you push the square rod through and it drops out the other side, you have a problem...

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom