support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

DIY MENTAL ?

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
My latest Aquisition is a Martin Handcraft which needs some TLC,I have decided to try to get it to play from top to bottom before really going to town on it,so on inspection there are leaks every where and the regulation is all over the place on the multiple closing keys and even some of the lesser single keys are showing leaks like the side keys for instance even though the are basically always closed,this surprised me a little.all the pads are very old and dried out so I was wondering if perhaps a little light steaming might help soften them up a bit,I'm just talking about wafting them through the steam from a kettle or similar,I will be removing them from the sax of course, any one got any thoughts ......John

Last edited:
One of the best products I have used is Dr's. Pad Cleaner It cleans old pads and helps to recondition to leather if the pads are not too far gone. I have heard of lots of "home remedies" for old pads put forth by amateurs from WD-40 to Mink oil and everything in between. Of course the best solution for an old dried out pad is a new pad.

As far as using steam, it may work to refresh the leather a bit, but there is a chance that it will also cause the felt to swell making the pads heavy in the back and giving them a "spongy" feel.

You advice is always much appreciated I will be looking into getting some Dr's pad cleaner,as far as the steaming,I was hoping that it might in fact swell the inner felt to take out some of the tone hole line, I might give it a try tomorrow

John

i have seen a pro player,just put the tap in the top of the sax and put water down the horn,completely wets the pads,but they swell up and the sax is able to be played to hear the sound,then get it overhauled if you like it....
so no mucking around....taking things apart...
anyways,good luck...
does the handcraft have both bell keys on the same side?
cheers,philip

Didn't some one suggest taking it into the shower. I think it would be easier to replace side key pads. They're no bother. I just found a set of pads for the Bari behind the door when I came home tonight. £12.99 including postage from Hong Kong. I forgot that I'd ordered them. The add said they were for a SELEMER. First impressions are good. I hope some of them fit lol I was encouraged by the set of clarinet pads I got for £2.99 including post from the same dealer. Nothing special but fair enough and a decent fit. I got a Corton wooden clarinet for a tenner that just needs a spring and a clean. It's snapped off right up to the pillar which is soaking in plus gas penetrating oil as I type. This DIY bug may be catching.

It gets even more interesting when the water you apply to the instrument rusts the rods and pivot screws in their places. :doh:
yes,but it takes a pretty long time for the rust to be a problem....and once one gets to hear the horn,hopefully it will get the overhaul it needs,then the water would not mater....
mind you,i don't want anyone to do it to my saxophones....
cheers,philip

Thanks. I found those two sites with the help of google. I don't want to import pliers from America. I could probably make/adapt some by the time they get here and £77.00 from Dawkes is taking the urine.
The Dawkes tool is clearly better quality than the Music Medic one, but you pay a lot more. The operative words in your post were "just enough sticking out". That usually makes removal possible without the use of the special pliers. Tapping the spring stub out with another spring is a time honored practice used by techs. The drawback with this method on saxophones is that you can possibly bend the post if the spring is especially stubborn. That is why the tool is especially useful on saxophones.
You are correct, penetrating oil does help along with carefully heating the post.

Thanks. I found those two sites with the help of google. I don't want to import pliers from America. I could probably make/adapt some by the time they get here and £77.00 from Dawkes is taking the urine.
exactly what I thought, I assume that most woodwind repairers are adept at making and adapting their own tools rather than pay those kinds of prices..

All back together and playing fine. This Corton seems to have better intonation up at the top and a fuller more sound at the bottom compared to the Bundy. Some of the keywork needs adjusting for my banana fingers but the metal is quite pliable and should adjust to suit. A little oiling ,cleaning, a spring and a bit of pulling about. Bargain for a tenner. Well pleased. Off to ballad of the month for a squeak at Lover man.