Tutorials

DIY flightcases...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Anyone know where to buy the aluminium bits to make up flight cases (corner protectors, edging, locks and hinges), preferably cheaply?
And- relating to this- as it's a relatively small case, I'm tempted to use corrugated plastic for the body- any thoughts on the pros and cons of this.....?

Chris98

Anyone know where to buy the aluminium bits to make up flight cases (corner protectors, edging, locks and hinges), preferably cheaply?
And- relating to this- as it's a relatively small case, I'm tempted to use corrugated plastic for the body- any thoughts on the pros and cons of this.....?
Hi Nachoman,

have a look at CPC they usually have all that sort of stuff, the link will take you to a search I did for corner protectors.

All the best,

Chris

jonf

Hi Jules

I wouldn't use corrugated plastic - although some types are as tough as old boots, lots of them gradually photodegrade and get brittle.

Personally, I'd make a strong wooden box out of thick marine ply, then skin it with aluminium, finishing off with edging and corner bits. You can get aluminium sheet off eBay for not much money - go for 2mm + Alternatively for something super tough and macho looking, you can get chequer plate.

What instrument is it for?

Jon

visionari1

Good one Jules, let us know how you get making your own case. I'm thinking of making my own to house my Alto & Straight Sop, for travels next year!

I think sheet Ally or Plastic is the direction I'll go!

Cheers & Caio
Jimu:mrcool

OP
Jules

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I think sheet Ally or Plastic is the direction I'll go!
Plastic seems a better bet, ali's going to be tougher to work with the resources on hand. Though thin marine ply would be great, if I can anchor into it adequately. curses- this is an ocassion I really miss my old job (college workshop technician).....

c9off

I have used ply screwed to battons for fragile pieces as hold luggage previosly, (still got a long one in the loft if of use?)... but have also used correx - which I think is the best option.. corners made by removing inner flute, hot glue & tape, if you are keen laminate surface, running direction opposite way... makes a really strong box & waterproof to boot!

Also have a couple of full sheets of 2mm aluminium if you choose that root!

one of many suppliers: http://tiny.cc/3tKmy but your local sign shop is a good bet..

Lastly EPP foam if you can get hold of some is great to line interior..

Last edited by a moderator:

c9off

Is that (EPP) what we call in the colonies Polystyrene????

There must be better lining material than that!

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu:mrcool
Glad you asked Jimu, although similar manufacturing process to Polystyrene, EPP is a different animal... has extreme impact resistance (relatively!), very tough but light.. used in everything from car bumpers/internal panels to speakers... wiki says:

Expanded Polypropylene (EPP) is a foam form of polypropylene. EPP has very good impact characteristics due to its low stiffness, this allows EPP to resume its shape after impacts

hardest part is locating it, but it is a top liner material..

teebones

Subscriber

>:) Yes you pm me the size and shape your require,I will get them folded from ali or st/st and tig welded at cost price.;}

Teebones :mrcool

AlanU

I wonder about the economics of this venture.
Surely you will be buying all of the components at retail price plus VAT and postage costs and then have the hassle of assembling them yourself?

There are lots of very robust 'flight case' products around already assembled at cost in the far east.
I would (internet) shop around for one of a suitable size and only have to bother about the lining/padding etc.

Sorry, but that's my take on it.
Better yet, get a Hiscox.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
point taken, but it's for a wierd combination of instruments (curved soprano sax, multiple blues harps, musical saw)..... plus I enjoy the process of building stuff!
I would get the case shell made, then concentrate your building stuff process on shaping the inside.

Get a lump of foam and cut out compartments
Then get some nice velvety stuff to fit over it.

Bung into flightcase shell. Viola!

thomsax

I've built some (sax) cases myself. I used material from Holmbergs Cases http://www.hbc.se/index.htm , Swedish manufactor up in the North. Thier site is not in English but you can look at the pictures what it's all about. If not, I'll glad to help. The quality is very high. Plywood from Finland, Aluminium from Norway ... .

Thomas

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom