Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Disaster has struck

Jess42

Guys. My sons saxophone was dropped by his friend and one of the bars just below the octave pin is so bent it looks irreparable. This has loosened everything and it isn't producing sound at all. Its only a gear 4music one so is low end but I can't afford another one. Can't figure out how to put a picture up.....

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
It is very probably repairable but you would need to post a photo for an estimate on how difficult or not it may be. Or just take it straight to a good local saxophone repairer.

See here for how to do that:

(it is very easy: simplest way is to just drag and drop the image onto the message box text writing area)

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Best bet is to find a local sax technician who ought to say what needs done for how much

Once you've worked out the picture thing, some visuals will help the Cafė Sax tech members advise as well

OP
J

Jess42

Thanks for those instructions. Uploaded the photo but look at it...... Properly bent

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Yes one zoomed out helps.

It looks like it might be the G key ? And in addition to the barrel/rod being obviously bent, the post got knocked backward a bit as well.

It might also gave resulted in the bent barrel hitting the key below it (the stack C ?..cannot tell for certain). And if the horn cannot play at all, any note (even an open key (no keys pressed down) middle C#...then likely something else got knocked around there as well.

It is not a HUGE problem, necessarily. But NOT a home, DIY job either - I mean, it could just be a matter of bending the barrel/rod back, adjusting a few keycups around there to remove leaks, and righting the post (possibly trying to raise a post impaction, too).

So...perhaps an hour or so of tech work (being optimistic here, but realistic as well - it MAY need multiple things attended to)....so, not a £20 repair.... it would run around $60-100usd here, maybe £50-70 there (?) give or take, assuming the extent is something like I am interpreting....

Last edited:

jbtsax

Subscriber
The repair may be as simple as backing out the pivot screw and removing the G key. Then laying the bent portion of the "hinge rod" on a flat hard surface like the top of a vice jaw and tapping it with a plastic or rawhide mallet till it is straight again. Once the key has been put back on the saxophone it will be possible to access if the post needs to be bent back and the G key cup needs adjustment. In my experience the farther the bend is from the key cup the less the orientation to the tonehole is affected.

OP
J

Jess42

Sorry it keeps saying the file is too large. We have carefully removed the damaged rod and a few notes are playing alot better so we're hoping if we can remove the bend when it is replaced all will be well. Everything else looks okay but alot hangs off that bent rod so it effects quite alot of notes. Either that or we may have to learn tunes only using the notes a and b.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Sorry it keeps saying the file is too large. We have carefully removed the damaged rod and a few notes are playing alot better so we're hoping if we can remove the bend when it is replaced all will be well. Everything else looks okay but alot hangs off that bent rod so it effects quite alot of notes. Either that or we may have to learn tunes only using the notes a and b.
Go to an image reducing website, like:

and try reducing to 75% or 50% and then download the reduced pic to your desktop, then upload to the thread.

You say "a lot hangs off that bent rod"...but a G key/rod is a very simple piece with very little hanging off it; just a cup, a touch, and usually an octave key arm at top...so am wondering if we have this assessment correct....

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
I'm no expert, especially compared with some of the falkes above, but it may not be as dramatic as it looks!

Provided you don't try anything 'silly' and take it to a decent tech, your son (and yourself) may get away with a rather quick and inexpensive fix for this...

Ah! Kids and musical instruments... I remember when my 6 years old dropped his oboe and it costed me 150€ to fix. I won't mention the reeds he chewed up! So tempting. I would probably do the same with my sax reeds if I was not conscious of their value!

OP
J

Jess42

Guys thanks so much for your help. Turns out I have a foolhardy but genius husband who has managed to fix it using brute force! I'm in Cork and I've looked for a tech before to no avail and as the Sax was only 250 to buy we decided to chance it. It actually plays better than it did before!!!! Thanks

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom