support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Disappointed with Legere reed

charliepar

Hi, I got my Legere Reed 2 days ago. It's a Classic Series 2.25 for alto sax. I'm a beginner: I started to play about 4 months ago and I've been playing on a Rico 2.5 cane reed and a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece. I also tried a Vandoren 2.5 and found it very similar to the Rico reed. I tried to play using my brand new Legere, but I find much more easier to play with the standard Rico cane reed. Using the Legere, I have to blow a lot more air and the volume is much lower. I can't play low notes using the Legere reed. What do you think? Are Legere not for me? Or should I try it again in a few months? Since I read so many good reviews about legere reeds, maybe it has to do with my embrochure or experience.

Plus one on too hard. I dont know if they come much softer. Maybe after your embouchure is stronger.

a 2.25 legere reed is more like a vandoren blue box #3 so I think it`s a bit too strong..

Yes as above, most of the beginners in my class use a Rico Royal or Vandoren 1.5 or 2.

Have you persevered with the reed and 'played it in' as sometimes they can be strong but after a couple of good sessions I find that my new reed will settle in and be a bit easier to blow. If after 3 or 4 good practice sessions it hasn't improved then it probably is too strong and like Koen88 says it may be that this particular brand of reed is generally stronger. I haven't tried Legere reeds so I can't review!

Legere offer an exchange policy where you can return your reed which is the wrong strength for you and they will send you the different strength that you ask for.

Rhys

PS I also find Legere to play much harder than the strength number suggests, but a good one is pretty good compared to cane.

A strength chart on legere is below

http://www.legere.com/index.php?page=strength-charts

This is for the signature line. On SOTW I Have seen comments from knowledgeable people that the classic legere reeds were more variable in strength and playability. This may still be the case or may have changed....or may have even been due to the player although I think that unlikely.

I am currently playing a Signature 2.5 alternating wit Hemke 2.5 and Rigotti Gold 3 mediums. All of these are about the same strength rating on the charts and quite similar in feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having quite a few outdoor gigs in the summer months makes it nearly impossible to keep cane reeds moist, so I went nuts ordering several different types of synthetics. I was extremely disappointed in the Legeres, as they sounded extremely stuffy. I normally used LaVoz Hards, so I could handle a firmer reed. There was zero projection, and in my overamplified world of guitars, that can't be an option. Plasticoats, meh.... Bari, fair but still not there....

My vote went to Hahns. Bright and responsive. I use 3's for my Dukoff 7 and 4 for my Runyon 4. Frankly, I don't even open the LaVoz box any more. The Hahns aren't cheap, but they last a long time and the sound (to me) is amazing!

Personal preferences vary, of course, depending on the usage needs, but that's my ha'penny's worth.....

Different reeds will act differently on mpces depending on facing curve and opening. What works well on one mpce may be a complete dog on another.

I use Legere on all my big stuff (bass sax, bass clarinet, contrabass clarinet, etc.) I tried Hahn on alto and tenor at the recommendation of a friend and they didn't do it for me. Rico Plasticover works on all instruments for me. YMMV.

Having quite a few outdoor gigs in the summer months makes it nearly impossible to keep cane reeds moist, so I went nuts ordering several different types of synthetics. I was extremely disappointed in the Legeres, as they sounded extremely stuffy. I normally used LaVoz Hards, so I could handle a firmer reed. There was zero projection, and in my overamplified world of guitars, that can't be an option. Plasticoats, meh.... Bari, fair but still not there....

My vote went to Hahns. Bright and responsive. I use 3's for my Dukoff 7 and 4 for my Runyon 4. Frankly, I don't even open the LaVoz box any more. The Hahns aren't cheap, but they last a long time and the sound (to me) is amazing!

Personal preferences vary, of course, depending on the usage needs, but that's my ha'penny's worth.....

Agree with the Hahn's, great reeds and last for ever....well nearly.

oh and theres me just about to spend £30 on a single Legere signature synthetic reed after much research and along comes a post that throws a great big Tenor sax shaped spanner in the works????

what do I do now!

(currently trailing a Forestone 2.5 that Tommupfamo kindly loaned me)..

Rgds Lee.

Lee, the only way your ever going to get the sound you want is by trying as many as you can. It's a dear do and we all have a different view on tone. I suppose it all depends on what you want, and the type of music you would like to play. People will give you a lot of different views on reeds, so it's up to you and nobody else to try as many as you can afford till you find the Magic reed.
Rob.

My only experience with synthetic reeds is very limited. I had a Legere 2.25 for alto that a friend gave me. I always play Java 2.5's and found the Legere completely unplayable. So hard I couldn't get a note out of it. I didn't like the feel of it on the tongue either.

Lee, the only way your ever going to get the sound you want is by trying as many as you can. It's a dear do and we all have a different view on tone. I suppose it all depends on what you want, and the type of music you would like to play. People will give you a lot of different views on reeds, so it's up to you and nobody else to try as many as you can afford till you find the Magic reed.
Rob.

Thanks Compound, I know what you say makes a lot of sense I guess I'm selfishly trying to learn from others in a bid to cut down on time and money, time I can spare and would enjoy the search but money unfortunately I don't have and endless supply of.

Although as you say everyone is different and we all need to find what suits us individually!
The Forestone synthetic reed ive been using for the last 2 weeks is very good, completely consistent and no pre soaking needed just pick up and play the samevevery time which is what I want from a reed but my high G's suffer just about every time, maybe I've not adapted to it enough yet!

Maybe I'll try the cheaper ones first, think Hahns are only £15 and lots of people rate those.

Oh well the search continues!

Rgds Lee.

The cut of a reed affects how it interacts with the facing curve and opening of a mpce. Unless you know someone who plays the same mpce and uses a similar embouchure then I really dont rhink one canLearn much from others unless a broad spectrum of players are unanimous in either praise or condemnation, and even then there is no surety that the outcome will be the same for you.

Back
Top Bottom