All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Dipping the note down. How do you not do that?

I was practicing my sax today at my school when, the director tells me that, the articulated notes I play in this song, are dipped down after the articulated part of the note, then come back up and level off. This is more when I play an accented whole note tied with two others. I try to get a good sound, but I to have noticed this. This particular song has lots of this connection of notes, which is something I need help with as well. But it mainly happens at the end of the song, which is a half note/quarter note low reeds/brass melodic ending. We have trumpets playing somewhat clashy notes. So I try to play the melody loud. I mean, loud. So the notes dipping down happen here. You could think of it as a super wavy note. So if I made no sense, pretty much, I hit the accented note, dip down the sound, then come back up and level the note off. I think it's my placement off my tongue. But I don't know. I'm open to any type help or suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Tongue the note G repeatedly and place your free hand under your chin. There should be no movement of the chin or jaw when you articulate notes, even at the loudest dynamic levels. Generally movement of the jaw indicates that the tongue is moving too far inside the mouth.

If this is the issue, without the saxophone say Tu Tu Tu Tu Too in front of a mirror keeping the jaw and chin stationary. Then do the same thing while blowing your airstream. Only the very front of the tongue should move and you should touch just the very tip of the reed when you tongue. Practice this by placing the thumb in the mouth, blowing an airstream that leaks out the sides of the mouth touching the top of the thumbnail with the part of your tongue just behind the tip. When you can do this feeling just the end of the tongue move, and seeing no movement in the mirror, then try it on the saxophone.

Be patient, sometimes poor playing habits take a while to change. You have to repeat the correct behavior enough times to completely erase the bad. Practicing tonguing apart from playing music will help you to focus better and can speed up the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Tongue the note G repeatedly and place your free hand under your chin. There should be movement of the chin or jaw when you articulate notes, even at the loudest dynamic levels. Generally movement of the jaw indicates that the tongue is moving too far inside the mouth.

If this is the issue, without the saxophone say Tu Tu Tu Tu Too in front of a mirror keeping the jaw and chin stationary. Then do the same thing while blowing your airstream. Only the very front of the tongue should move and you should touch just the very tip of the reed when you tongue. Practice this by placing the thumb in the mouth, blowing an airstream that leaks out the sides of the mouth touching the top of the thumbnail with the part of your tongue just behind the tip. When you can do this feeling just the end of the tongue move, and seeing no movement in the mirror, then try it on the saxophone.

Be patient, sometimes poor playing habits take a while to change. You have to repeat the correct behavior enough times to completely erase the bad. Practicing tonguing apart from playing music will help you to focus better and can speed up the process.
Shouldn't that read NO MOVEMENT or am I getting this wrong...john

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom