support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Dilemma to buy or not to buy. What is the answer?

navarro

Hi everyone, I just wondered if anyone has the new Samsung Galaxy 10.2 Tablet or indeed the latest IPad?

Now this is where the saxophone part comes in.

I have been told that the Ipad is the best for music info. etc. but an American friend of mine hotly contests this and goes for the Samsung.

I want to buy a tablet but would like comments on their respective performances.

I`m afraid the professional reviews on said appliances just leave me more confused.

I want the tablet not a placebo. Hope I have not broken any forum rules by mentioning brands.

Best regards, N. :confused:

Hi everyone, I just wondered if anyone has the new Samsung Galaxy 10.2 Tablet or indeed the latest IPad?

Now this is where the saxophone part comes in.

I have been told that the Ipad is the best for music info. etc. but an American friend of mine hotly contests this and goes for the Samsung.

I want to buy a tablet but would like comments on their respective performances.

I`m afraid the professional reviews on said appliances just leave me more confused.

I want the tablet not a placebo. Hope I have not broken any forum rules by mentioning brands.

Best regards, N. :confused:

We mention Selmer, don't we...

That tablet must be good - Apple are fighting it through the patent courts....

No idea myself, though.

Yes, really depends on what you want to do with it. I've used an iPad for work, and they are very slick. However, some software, particularly business software, requires either a PC operating system or Internet Explorer or Firefox browsers. That completely rules out the iPad (emulator browsers available for iPad are crap). Same problem may well apply for the Samsung (Android only?)

In the end I ended up buying a couple of Dell slates for work - not as nice as the iPad, but runs a proper OS and browser so business applications can run. I also, BTW, tried a Balckberry tablet. Awful. Just awful.

When you say "good for music" what do you want to do with it?
I have had an iPad for a few weeks, having never owned an I-anything.

(sent form my iPad :))) . )

Hi Mandy I was a bit vague but sources tell me that I pad has an app which gives you a tuner and apps for getting scales etc.

I am tablet illiterate , only found out the other day what apps are. Okay commonsense should have told me what it means, but in my defence I have never quite come to terms with the abbreviactionary

I knew university as varsity not uni which I presumed was a certain brand of milk for babies. Anyway I am putting a hold on my purchase as I want to know the outcome of this tussle between Apple and Samsung. Thanks anyway. Regds. N.

I really don’t understand the tablets, any of them sorry! Beside the cool effect, these are not computers but cost as much as one (PC’s that is although it wouldn’t buy you a Mac)

the worst thing is that now lots of people accessorise them with a bluetooth keyboard and a mouse making them as big as a computer.

Once you have a tablet you have a slow computer that does half of the things a laptop does in twice as much time or more, besides the availability of programs and games (not of APPS if you like to play with those!) is enormously limited.

But it must be me........everybody is buying them! Me, I have a great Macbook pro.....not much bigger than a tablet and a real computer.

I really don’t understand the tablets, any of them sorry! Beside the cool effect, these are not computers but cost as much as one (PC’s that is although it wouldn’t buy you a Mac)

the worst thing is that now lots of people accessorise them with a bluetooth keyboard and a mouse making them as big as a computer.

Once you have a tablet you have a slow computer that does half of the things a laptop does in twice as much time or more, besides the availability of programs and games (not of APPS if you like to play with those!) is enormously limited.

fully agree

Ipad is a pita (pain in the a**e) when it comes to viewing movies on the net although html5 may solve this as Apple have a security problem with flash player apparently.
Apps for music are brill my favourite are igig, on which i can utilize all the availabe files for real books and iReal which gives access to a rhythm section for countless variable backings in all keys styles etc.
Wouldn't be without mine.

Sent from my iPad

I am sure that there is a limited amount of people who really can benefit from a tablet ( yes, the written music software users are definitely among this!) for all there rest I cannot think of anything that a laptop wouldn’t do better

i can now sit in the same room as her indoors and keep her company? while she watches TV, and at the same time browse the web the tablet is far less obtrusive than a laptop, believe me the charge lasts far longer.
Having said that I wouldn't be without my IMac for serious applications, but neither would I be without my Ipad

Sent from IMac

i can now sit in the same room as her indoors and keep her company? while she watches TV, and at the same time browse the web the tablet is far less obtrusive than a laptop, believe me the charge lasts far longer.
Having said that I wouldn't be without my IMac for serious applications, but neither would I be without my Ipad

Sent from IMac
Thanks UCCMA I travel a lot by plane and a tablet looks to be the solution. However I am still in the throes of Samsung Tab. v Ipad

One thing that has become very obvious to me is that the larger retailers know little or nothing about each makers pros and cons.

One particular store took great pleasure in showing me what an Ipad camera can do producing warped and twisted images of face photos.

I thanked the salesman profusely and suggested that perhaps an advertising campaign based on these merits alone would produce mega sales.

He commented seriously that I put this in the stores suggestion box. I hope this gentleman was being as sarcastic as myself.

Thanks everyone for your help on this subject. regards to all N.

one of my friends used his iPad to play from instead of sheet music, pianist, and loves it as he can just just pick what he wants with out loads of dusty sheet music, he can also compose and has a neat page turning gismo, he's also a tech big brain.
he loves it for that alone.

Hello navarro,

I have a mobil phone that uses Android OS, i bought a guitar tuner application already and it works great. I mean there is lot of applications you can buy or even get free from Apple's or Android application market.

So, imo it's just technical and interface ( ease of use ) differences on both item.Other than that both have very big application market that you can find most of what you want.

Haven't seen or used an android talet but love my iPad. Now that may be because I use an iPhone and Mac and they all 'talk to each other' beautifully without me having to do anything. Perhaps if I'd had a PC instead of Mac when phones/tablets became mini computers I would have gone down the android route and been equally happy. Who knows? I think it's a bit like saxes - go with what you like best.

Hi navarro

I have owned an i pad since last chistmas, a surprise pressy from my lovely wife,and I love it to bits but obviously being a pressy there were no comparisons done to see if other tablets were as good or better.Now being a technophobe myself I have found it very easy to use,but that said I really don't use it in any way for my sax playing other than to log on to this great forum to see what's going on,likewise I don't use my pc at home for sax things other than trying to make dodgy recordings on various studio programs, and I wouldn't think you would want to be doing that when you were out and about in the world.

I own a number of samsung products "who doesn't these days" ie telly phones frdge etc and have found them to be of great quality and very reliable,I would have thought that any apps available for the ipad would be available for the tablet also,I would not hesitate buying a samsung tablet as an alternative especially if there was a great monatary saving which I imagine there is apple being what it is in general top of the price lists....john

Hi navarro

I have owned an i pad since last chistmas, a surprise pressy from my lovely wife,and I love it to bits but obviously being a pressy there were no comparisons done to see if other tablets were as good or better.Now being a technophobe myself I have found it very easy to use,but that said I really don't use it in any way for my sax playing other than to log on to this great forum to see what's going on,likewise I don't use my pc at home for sax things other than trying to make dodgy recordings on various studio programs, and I wouldn't think you would want to be doing that when you were out and about in the world.

I own a number of samsung products "who doesn't these days" ie telly phones frdge etc and have found them to be of great quality and very reliable,I would have thought that any apps available for the ipad would be available for the tablet also,I would not hesitate buying a samsung tablet as an alternative especially if there was a great monatary saving which I imagine there is apple being what it is in general top of the price lists....john
Thanks gladsaxisme. decision made today I have purchased the Galaxy 10.1 wifi and 3 g delivery tomorrow. I went for the galaxy because I know my way round samsung products. thanks again and thanks to everyone who has given me advice. Best regards to all. N.

Thanks gladsaxisme. decision made today I have purchased the Galaxy 10.1 wifi and 3 g delivery tomorrow. I went for the galaxy because I know my way round samsung products. thanks again and thanks to everyone who has given me advice. Best regards to all. N.

Good luck, hope it goes well. I just bought my wife a new Samsung Android phone and she's delighted with it! And I'm left wishing I had the sense to move away from N...a when I bought a new phone a couple of years ago. I didn't. Was swayed by good features for the price, but crap execution and even worse software have left me rather disappointed.

Good luck, hope it goes well. I just bought my wife a new Samsung Android phone and she's delighted with it! And I'm left wishing I had the sense to move away from N...a when I bought a new phone a couple of years ago. I didn't. Was swayed by good features for the price, but crap execution and even worse software have left me rather disappointed.
Thanks kev., received it today and busy charging it. Instruction booklet slightly larger than a postage stamp, hoping when it is up and running there will be a built in guide. Regds N.