All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Digitech vocal 300

Hello all.
I have a question which i am hoping someone can answer, i am considering buying the afore mentioned effects peddle, however i understand that it does not support Phantom power(my clip on mic has to be Phantom powered) can i still use this peddle by running the mic through a power unit and then into the peddle?

A very Happy New Year to all!

Chris98

Hi Zootsaxenberger

You'll probably need one of these, or something like it: Phantom Power Supply, they are about £16, some seem to be very expensive though and I've never been able to work out why!

There shouldn't be any problem using a separate phantom power unit between the mic and pedal, but it might be worth checking the manual for the pedal.

Chris

Hi Zootsaxenberger

You'll probably need one of these, or something like it: Phantom Power Supply, they are about £16, some seem to be very expensive though and I've never been able to work out why!

There shouldn't be any problem using a separate phantom power unit between the mic and pedal, but it might be worth checking the manual for the pedal.

Chris
Thanks Chris, i already have a power unit, because i need to phantom power my saxmic.
my main concern is will the unit operate properly if used with a phantom power unit
also as an aside, how have the digitech 300 users got on with it

johnboy

I ref. you to Horns and Accessories, 18th October, Bell Mic. volume control. These are fantastic!!

John.

Young Col

Zoot, I've had a look through the Digitech data sheets on line. They are not particularly informative, but they don't say the unit will accept phantom power. That it has its own power supply suggests that it does not as well (otherwise it too could be phantom powered). Thus unless the manufacturer says it is OK, don't run phantom power through it as it will almost certainly fry the electronics immediately by putting 48volts through the unit. Your solution of powering the mic after the Digitech seems OK as presumably the power supply connection isolates the DC voltage from getting back into any downstream amps or processing units - best check.
You could route the phantom power round the Digitech. Electronically easy enough to build isolaters and DC bypass cables, but physically it would be a mess, so don't!
YC

Chris98

Hi Young Col,

Doesn't it rather depend on your signal flow.

You seem to be suggesting that you'd set it up as follows:
(Red denotes the presence of 48V phantom power)

[Mic.] --XLR--> [Digitech Vocal 300] --XLR--> [Phantom Power Unit] --XLR--> [Mixer/PA/Recorder]

In which case I'd agree with you, bad idea and anyway the Digitech would most likely not allow the 48 volts to pass though, but it should work as follows:

[Mic.] --XLR--> [Phantom Power Unit] --XLR--> [Digitech Vocal 300] --XLR--> [Mixer/PA/Recorder]

Just thinking out loud,

Chris

dooce

I have a phantom powered clip-on also which I power through a Behringer supply, then into the Digitech box - works just fine.

Young Col

Yes, Chris, thanks.
In the first one you don't know what's in the output circuit of the Digitech (which is also the voltage input in that config). Even if there's some capacitative decoupling it might not be a high enough voltage rating.
The second, yes, ought to be OK. Bill, is that how you have it : mic - phantom PSU - Digitech, like Chris says? If so that has probably cracked it for Zoot.
YC

Sunray

Senior Member ...

Sorry guys, I got hold of the "wrong end of the stick" again. Derr.

John.
:confused: Never mind mate ...

I expect Pete will change the tag under your forum name to Senior Moment ... :)))

Cheers Johnboy .... Happy New Year ... :cheers:

A huge thank you to all of you! i was kind of leaning towards Dooce,s setup but obviously being a sax player "of very little brain" ididn't want to fry the peddle, and so i asked the question knowing that someone would come to my rescue.
i would still like to know what other players think of the vocal 300,pros and cons
thanks Zoot.

dooce

Bill, is that how you have it : mic - phantom PSU - Digitech, like Chris says? If so that has probably cracked it for Zoot.
YC
Yes, that's how I have run it I think, but I haven't used it for over a year since my old band broke up.

Zoot, you asked what Digitech users think of it - OK, but don't get carried away with the effects you can create. Saxes do not sound good distorted to telephone or alien voices - stick to a clean sound with nothing more complicated than reverb and echo.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Saxes do not sound good distorted to telephone or alien voices - stick to a clean sound with nothing more complicated than reverb and echo.
Which is, of course, a matter of opinion. ;}

Depends a lot on the style of music you're playing. If you're doing something like this (at 1' 50") you might want a bit more than reverb and stuff.

Wah sax is pretty common but the Digitech is crap at that. It's got an auto-wah which I use occasionally but you really need a proper pedal for that.

I suppose I do use it mostly for echo and reverb and a bit of octaving (baritone down an octave for instance) but I haven't really explored all the possibilities fully. I'll let you know if and when I do.

dooce

Which is, of course, a matter of opinion. ;}

Depends a lot on the style of music you're playing. If you're doing something like this (at 1' 50") you might want a bit more than reverb and stuff.
errr...yeh, it's a fair cop, point proven. But would you also need to wear the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition sketch red cloak?

Probably..........

Thanks Nick.
i am really looking for the conventional sounds I.E. chorus, reverb, delay etc, and some harmony would be nice.
i still own an effect box made specifically for sax by a company called Stone fx who were situated in Maidstone, the unit comprised auto wah, adt, and octave(one below) which wasn't bad but alas would only work with a bug which was clamped to the reed with blue tack or something similar, and then had to be plugged into a pre amp and then into the unit.
plus it had no chorus or harmony

Yes, that's how I have run it I think, but I haven't used it for over a year since my old band broke up.

Zoot, you asked what Digitech users think of it - OK, but don't get carried away with the effects you can create. Saxes do not sound good distorted to telephone or alien voices - stick to a clean sound with nothing more complicated than reverb and echo.
Thank you Dooce
i am not really interested in weird and wonderful sounds anyway, it is more about enhancing what i play rather than radically altering it.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom