support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

different time signatures in duet

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
is it common to have the sax playing in a different time signature from the accompanying piano?

I am scanning Saxo-Rhapsody by Eric Coates into Sibelius to create the piano backing to play along with, when I came across this (see image)
From the previous bar, both parts were in 12/8, but the sax has moved into 4/4, with (apparently) the piano staying in 12/8.
I know you would normally count 12/8 in 4, so the 2 pieces will play together, but doesn't the sax move after the piano on that very last semi-quaver in the bar?
I am just trying to work out if this is what was intended, and indeed how to play it.
scan0031.jpg

I suppose it depends on how much of a pedant you want to be. There are timing issues in the second bar too but they're a bit easier to deal with. I guess, almost inevitably, the semiquaver is going end up being the same length as a (triplet) quaver in the piano part. I'm sure I used to have the score for this but I can't find it and I can't remember what the rest of it does.

Wow! After the piano in the first bar, before the piano in the next.....is that what Coates intended? I suppose if he hadn't, he would have written both in 12/8 and had them move together?

Look at the speed. It's going to make bugger all difference whether you play it as a semiquaver or a triplet quaver. Writing the second bar in 12/8 would be more problematic - you'd have to write duplets.
I think it's all about ease of reading/writing.

Looks as if it's meant as a grace note, but before the bar line.

That's likely to be the effect, but i don't understand why he didn't write it as a grace note.

My take on this is that I would play it in the way I think it sounds best, but I might not have such a cavalier attitude if Eric himself was sitting in the audience.

Cue video opportunity, one of my very favourite tunes:

Last edited:
The Vaughan Williams Folk Song Suite in one movement has the strings in 4/4 and the wind in 12/8 i.e. 2s against 3s. I was playing Chabrier's Espana last week in Thursday orchestra and the strings are in 2/4 in one place and the wind and brass are in 3/8 and gradually switch to 2/4. The conductor just has to conduct it as 1 in a bar. It can be a train wreck...

I love seeing it written!

Here is a jazz example. Check the 4/4 soloing on 6/8
If you have time to spend, work out the tempo map.

I am having enough trouble playing at that speed anyway....especially when I get to the 4-tuplets and 5-tuplets at 200, and let's not discuss the 7-tuplets nor the 13-tuplet that comes later - thrown fingers at notes and hope for best, landing on the first note of the next beat, that's my approach!

No, This is an alto piece.

I will also be playing a Telemann Sonata, and Amy Quate's Light of Sothis on Alto.

I am playing the Eric Satie Prelude & Finale on Bari, and Paul Harvey's Concert solo no 5 on Bari

I am having enough trouble playing at that speed anyway....especially when I get to the 4-tuplets and 5-tuplets at 200, and let's not discuss the 7-tuplets nor the 13-tuplet that comes later - thrown fingers at notes and hope for best, landing on the first note of the next beat, that's my approach!
I was taught to mentally separate odd numbered sequences of notes into groups. For example 7 would be 3 + 4, or 4 + 3. It seems to help in performance thinking about them in that way---for me at least.

At my theory exam (I was 16) I had to solfege a quintuplet in four.
But until I started listening to Zappa and stop counting, I din't start grasping irregular groups.