Tutorials

DI-ing small amps

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Hi folks,
I've recently discovered that my blues harps sound great through one of those 1watt danelectro 'clip on your belt' guitar amps (well, 'great' in a grungy R&B sort of way). Now I'm tempted to use this as my default live set up. I've miked plenty of small amp cabs down the ages but was wondering about the feasability of using the headphone jack directly into a DI box (something i've not tried- or to be exact- tried on one occasion ages ago and, I seem to remember, wasn't a go-er for some reason).
Can anyone pass comment on running amps into PAs via their headphone out (ok, obviously you don't get the full sound of the speaker distortion- which is pretty extreme in this case) but is a viable way to go....?

MartinL

Hi folks,
I've recently discovered that my blues harps sound great through one of those 1watt danelectro 'clip on your belt' guitar amps (well, 'great' in a grungy R&B sort of way). Now I'm tempted to use this as my default live set up. I've miked plenty of small amp cabs down the ages but was wondering about the feasability of using the headphone jack directly into a DI box (something i've not tried- or to be exact- tried on one occasion ages ago and, I seem to remember, wasn't a go-er for some reason).
Can anyone pass comment on running amps into PAs via their headphone out (ok, obviously you don't get the full sound of the speaker distortion- which is pretty extreme in this case) but is a viable way to go....?
The problem that comes to my mind is the output impedance. the headphone socket will need to see a 4ohm impedance and if it doesn't then it could damage the output transistors..

Top Bottom