All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Describing Cadences (verbally)

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
I hope this doesn't sound too stupid....
For my exam (TG grade 6 Jazz Sax) I have to describe the cadence at the end of a piece played to me on a piano by the examiner. I have to chose from Perfect, Plagal, Imperfect or Interrupted.

It's only worth a few marks, but I'd quite like to get a grip on it if I can.
I don't know much about music theory, there's probably little point sending me any score examples, but links to pieces that I can hear and get an ear for it would be helpful.

So far, I have the idea as follows:
Perfect - that's definitely over, I can clap now with confidence, an instant reaction.
Plagal - sounds like the "Amen" at the end of a hymn, definetely the end.
Imperfect - sounds like it should be followed by a final chord, is this the end? I think it was.
Interrupted - "I wasn't really expecting that"!, a bit of a surprise.

First question, have I remembered these descriptions correctly, from what I was told (I have an appalling memory, so unless I write it down at the time, which I didn't, I won't remember it)
Second question, do you have any better descriptions that will help me identify which cadence it is in the stress of the exam?.

Many thanks

Young Col

Mandy
I think your descriptions are good ones. They are what I used to remind myself when recognising cadences in the written theory exam.
Perfect cadence is the obvious "at rest" one. "Amen" is a always a good way to describe the hymn-like end of a IV-I. Imperfect ending on a V makes you think it should go further like a perfect, to a V-I say. Kev's link confirms the suprrise of an interrupted - as shown, something like a V- V7.
Good luck!
YC

ArtyLady

Eeeeekkk! where does it say that?! Im doing mine in the summer!

Edit - ignore me - I've just looked at the syllabus and that's in the Aural section as opposed to the Improvisation which I'm doing.............phew!!

Last edited by a moderator:

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Eeeeekkk! where does it say that?! Im doing mine in the summer!

Edit - ignore me - I've just looked at the syllabus and that's in the Aural section as opposed to the Improvisation which I'm doing.............phew!!

Didn't mean to frighten you!
I should have said it was the Aural section. And i just need to identify 1 cadence only (from the 4 I listed). But the whole Aural section is worth 10 marks, so this bit is probably worth 2. Not really worth getting wound up about, but every little helps :D I'll need it to make up for the sight-reading :(

Andante cantabile

I'd try and improve your sight reading. It's a bloody sight more useful.

I can't help with the original question, but I completely agree with the need to have good sight reading ability. In my experience there is a close connection between playing ability and sight reading, i.e. it gets easier as one's playing improves. In other words, the less one has to worry about fingerings, the more one can concentrate on the music itself.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Nick,
I don't doubt that for a minute, and I am indeed trying to improve my sight-reading, but it's a slower time, longer term project that picking up 2 possibly easy marks in the aural part of the exam, by simply being able to identify one cadence from 4.
TBH the sight-reading is going well, but I would estimate I am only half way there! and with only 4 days to go, I'm not going to make it :)))

Once this exam is over, my teacher and I have identified a number of areas to work on, sight reading being one of them.

Thanks all for useful answers.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Well....absolutely amazed. I got 8/10 for the sight reading, 7/10 for the aural - got the cadence wrong, but the chord change right.

All round a very happy bunny - 78% so a merit. What can I say.

I screwed up the Maple Leaf Rag - the G# pad was stuck down, and since I needed it in the 6th or so bar, it knocked me for 6. I managed to release it in the 2 bars rest and continued, but I think I was just too stressed by then, so only scored 15/22. Otherwise pretty thrilled all round.
Thanks for your help and words of support.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom