All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Decisions decisions....TWO10 vs TWO20

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
I've been thinking for a while about taking the plunge and getting a Yanagisawa tenor. I play an alto AWO10 and love it, and I'm set on a companion Yany tenor!

YanagisawaTWOTenors.jpg

I know it's all down to personal taste, but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on these two models if they've played both.

I've tried one of each and enjoyed them in different ways, but as a newbie to the tenor, I'd like more feedback. Everyone says "try multiples of the same model" but even in the largest sax shop in the UK, no - the WORLD, it's usually only possible to try one.

So, any thoughts? Obviously there's a big price difference and this will be a significant investment for me. I'm curious if the metal "tone boosters" on the TWO20 (bronze) make a marked difference to the tone. I may spark a 'material does/doesn't make a difference' debate but I just want to get some thoughts. I have my own views on that thorny issue!

Alex

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
A nice dilemma to have!
If it was me, and I could afford it, I would go for the bronze one. I have a bronze Yanagisawa bari and it has a certain something . . .

I can't give a rational explanation why, though I suspect that maybe just a little bit more care goes into the manufacture of the more expensive models.

MMM

Locality
SW of London Town
I would go with the bronze too: I compared the old 99x tenors and the bronze model felt more meaty, richer compared to the brass equivalent.
I was actually surprised at how much of a difference I heard between the two.
But playing them side by side would definitely be best to make up your mind.

Morph

Locality
United Kingdom
Is there a difference in weight? All things being equal I really prefer a lighter horn

Oh and btw I think the general consensus is plating doesn't make a difference to sound, but the material used does (I think!).

ChrisI

Locality
uk
According to the Yanagisawa UK website both TWO10 and 20 have metal reflectors - the cheaper TWO01 & 02 don't. As far as I can tell the only difference between the 10 & 20 is the body material and colour of the lacquer (gold vs clear), but I could well be wrong. The bronze does look lovely but £760 more?

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Oh and btw I think the general consensus is plating doesn't make a difference to sound, but the material used does (I think!).
I don't think there will ever be a consensus on that! My opinion is that neither make a difference, other things being equal. Trouble is, other things are never equal.

georgesax

Subscriber
Locality
sheffield
I tried both and bought the OW20, if you like the OW10, I suggest that you have a try of Yamaha customer Z. I personally like Z more than OW10. Z is more expressive less resistant. The OW20 has a more mellow and full sound and is more like the old selmer, but with less resistance. I am not an experienced player as you know, Alex. But i have tested quite a few tenors, OW20 is my personal favourite, I like it more than MK VI, which is quite resistant and hard in intonation.

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
According to the Yanagisawa UK website both TWO10 and 20 have metal reflectors
This has always puzzled me - in the image I posted above, you can see the added icon for the metal "tone boosters" on the TWO20 but not the TWO10.
20200604_191403.jpg

I forgot to ask about it at the store when I play-tested them both.

swhnld

Locality
Netherlands
Where will you be playing, the 10 looks to be more standing out then the 20 on a dark stage.

Second if you compare the same models for your alto, is there noticable difference or preference now you are experienced, as you have the 10?

If on Alt you have the same dilemma feeling both equal, then it really comes down to looks. However if you notice a difference in sound, then it is an indication of the same sort of difference on the tenor. Question is how you would like to sound then.

Last, when I started tenor after 30 years of Alt, I choose one that sounded great, couple of years later I went to the shop as it never completely satisfied me to buy a different one, ending up with same make and model as my Alt.

So if you really, really, don't know get the 10 as you are already comfortable on that. Feeling well is important in my book on though decisions.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Locality
Peeblesshire
This has always puzzled me - in the image I posted above, you can see the added icon for the metal "tone boosters" on the TWO20 but not the TWO10.
View attachment 14729
I forgot to ask about it at the store when I play-tested them both.
So

You've played them already.... that is the best test

It is a big investment and there is a large uplift in the bronze price. That uplift is justified if you felt the bronze horn was special compared to the brass

The 'tone boosting' pad bling helped the sound. Or it didn't. You already know

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
If you're buying new for £4k-ish, how about a brand new Yany "SIlversonic" T9933 with 5 years warranty (and most likely 5 years servicing too)
Oh, that's a real swerve ball!! And the price keeps creeping up...but that's one heck of a deal. You're not helping! o_O

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
Thanks for all the feedback. It's looking like the general consensus is for the bronze!

I felt/heard a tonal difference between the brass and bronze tenors and I felt it with a bronze and brass alto I played a while back. Material or build, I couldn't say!

It's really not a matter of aesthetics for me, they both look good - I'm just interested in the sound.

When I played the bronze tenor, that warm, dark quality immediately appealed, but could I achieve that with the right MP on the brass model (putting some of the saved £750 on a killer MP!)

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Locality
Peeblesshire
When I played the bronze tenor, that warm, dark quality immediately appealed, but could I achieve that with the right MP on the brass model (putting some of the saved £750 on a killer MP!)
Money aside

Your relationship is with the horn. Find the horn and then accessorize to your heart's content

Mouthpiece, ligatures, brass knobbly resonating accoutrements, slings, sonic sling hooks (you heard it here first folks!) and whatever. I think fall for that special saxophone first

superpapaben

Have you made up your mind yet? All Yanis have always played well for me. I really liked the B992 when I tried it, but settled on a B6 for money reasons.

I'm considering retiring my tenor SBA for out of house applications and have been thinking about yanis again. A T902 might be an option for a gigging horn (if I ever get another gig again...)

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
Hey all!

Just been blowing on my new...TWO10!
I spent a while with a TWO20 and it did play very, very well but I couldn't justify that extra cost.

My new brass horn does feel more resistant but I'm enjoying it so far and hope to settle quickly on a (cheap) MP & reed combo that suits me. I haven't had it long because I was finding it hard to let the TWO20 go. I had them both sent out to me on trial, bronze first then brass. Ideally I would have played them from home side by side but that would have been too costly.

The bronze bell and bore felt 'thinner' than the brass, less solid, which may attribute to the sound differences; it was very free-blowing as someone mentioned above...but maybe it was just the horn I tried.

They're both great saxophones and the person who gets that TWO20 I played is in for a treat. It plays effortlessly. But hey, a bit of resistance isn't always a bad thing! And I realise I'm a sax-metal tradionalist...I prefer the look of brass ;)
Maybe in a year or so I'll be getting a honey-gold-laquered TWO20!

@sunsetandlabrea Enjoy your new sax!

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6