All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Accessories decent gig bag.

dlucas

Hi all first post on the site,
Looking to buy a gig bag, can anyone recommend one that , (a) protects the instrument, (b) is fairly lightweight to carry, and (c) has price not more than £150?
thanks David.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Look in the yard sale section of this site......and welcome!

Morgan Fry

Locality
Leeds
Hi all first post on the site,
Looking to buy a gig bag, can anyone recommend one that , (a) protects the instrument, (b) is fairly lightweight to carry, and (c) has price not more than £150?
thanks David.

In 30 years of playing I have yet to see a gig bag that adequately satisfies (a).

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Have a look on ebay for this.......

Gard Musical Instrument Wheeled Wheelie Carry Bag Case Truck Saxophone

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I vote for a hard shaped case. It will make you save money in repairs.

On your budget: Jakob Winter, I have the Greenline. very light.
Slightly above: Bam Softpack (I use it on tenor) or Bam Cabin (I have it for alto)

I have been using a Rosetti that did a great job for very little money. if you want to get mine from London, let's move to the yardsale.

(I only checked prices on Howarth's website, tenor)

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
Protective and gig bag.

Classical oxymoron.

Plod

Locality
Sanderstead (posh end of Croydon)
Got my Daughter a 'Fusion' for Christmas, seems very well made and as good as they get.

dooce

Locality
Daventry
I carted my sop to Australia and back in a Tom and Will bag which was well made and reasonably protective, but I wasn't gigging with it - that is a whole different world of pain where cases can get kicked around backstage and loading in and out of cars, regardless of whether there's an instrument in them or not. Get a Protec or a Hiscox.

altissimo

Locality
leicester
the Tom & Will gig bags are good value, well made and reasonable well padded - http://www.tomandwill.com/productdetail.asp?productid=33AS-465
- but no gig bag will protect your instrument against any accidental knocks or drops - I use a cheap gig bag for my alto and I spend all my time being ultra careful about knocking it against things and keeping it in a safe place, tucked behind the PA away from people loading guitar amps on stage etc and not getting drunk and careless - the phrase 'gig bag' is a misnomer, it's not something you'd want to take on gigs

If weight is a concern then the Jakob Winter Greenline suggested by Aldevis is only 1.25 kg and the J Winter Eastman Carbon Fibre is only 1.3 kg - the Greenline is probably a bit flimsy for heavy touring and aircraft cargo holds and the Carbon is a bit over your budget -
Saxophone Accessories

Alternatively the lightweight rigid foam filled cases like the Rosetti -or the Gator Lightweight EPS - Saxophone Cases - Sax.co.uk will do a better job of protecting your instrument than a gig bag and both are cheap and lightweight.

For me the only excuse for using a gig bag is that I don't have a car, so dashing across town for the last bus home is easier with less weight on my back - I keep meaning to save up and get the J Winter Carbon fibre

Last edited by a moderator:

baritonesax

Locality
Twickenham
There is a really decent gig bag for around £150. Reunion Blues "Continental" gig bags are extremely stout- very stiff composite-type fabric and great foam inside. I've had one for my alto for two years and it gives all the protection you'll reasonably need unless you're sloppy or very unlucky.

Some people seem to want to legislate against every possible eventuality when it comes to cases. I just don't buy into that - treat your gear with respect and a good gig bag is just fine. Even for a bari.

dlucas

Thanks guys for the replies. I get around on a motorcycle mainly so thats why the weight issue is important. I'll look into the choices you've put forward and go from there. I did get the impression that these bags are a compromise where the protection of the instrument is concerned but thought I'd get some input from here as well.
Regards David.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Some people seem to want to legislate against every possible eventuality when it comes to cases. I just don't buy into that - treat your gear with respect and a good gig bag is just fine. Even for a bari.

I'd second that. Just don't leave it to the tender mercies of roadies.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Thanks guys for the replies. I get around on a motorcycle mainly so thats why the weight issue is important.

I have been gigging around for ages on my XTZ660. Balance is essential. I found shaped cases uncomfortable.
My solution was BAM trekking on my shoulders (tenor or alto) and curved soprano in the boot. Now you can probably find similar trekking cases for much less. My endorsee comes with one of them than cannot be too expensive (Taiwan made): someone must distribute them here.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Wearing any kind of pack on your back while ridng a motorbike is really dangerous. If you fall off and the bag catches, it may rip your shoulder apart and give permanent nerve damage/paralysis. Rather strap it on the pillion.

dlucas

Good point. I sling my alto like an archers quiver but guess won't be able to do that with a tenor

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom