support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

De-Transposing

Re: Sheet Music Question....

nah...it's about proper labeling.
You call 260Hz C (or DO if you use solfege) when playing the piano and Eb when playing the alto and Bb when playing the tenor = messing up with your sense of pitch...
Reading music isn't necessarily detrimental to the ear but transposed reading could be the cause - reading all in C concert pitch should provide the right solution = more consistency and maybe gain perfect pitch too?

It sounds to me as if you have a solution looking for a problem. When one learns to hear and think music intervallically the alphabet names become irrelevant.

With our incredibly stupid UK note naming system, you know the one that can end up with a hemi-semi-demiquaver, how many 'de's can be applied to transposing please?

YC:-It is not an apostrophe, just the trailing single quote. Couldn't find any reference in my typographical library. (This is a private joke so all others than YC, please do not read this.) What do you mean, you already have?

To me this thread appears to have the hint of say a linguist that can talk and read many languages fluently, bragging that they could listen to or read many languages at the same time and repeat them all back instantaneously in say English,and I'm sure some can but so what it may be very useful to a linguist, so should we all become expert linguists:headscratch:

Last edited by a moderator:

With our incredibly stupid UK note naming system, you know the one that can end up with a hemi-semi-demiquaver, how many 'de's can be applied to transposing please?

It is obvious: if you have four quarter notes (or crotchets) in each bar (no pub jokes please), the time signature is 4/4: four fourths. It implies that in G major you will end up in Bb. The four fourths are G C F Bb.

It couldn't be simpler.

To me this thread appears to have the hint of say a linguist that can talk and read many languages fluently, bragging that they could listen to or read many languages at the same time and repeat them all back instantaneously in say English,and I'm sure some can but so what it may be very useful to a linguist, so should we all become expert linguists

I can ensure that speaking two different languages is much more difficult than transposing, and plenty of people do it, with various degrees of success.
If I have to do a comparison, times table has a similar challenge.

Actually, even simpler: if you take a train timetable from any British station and you convert all the (GMT) times in their New York (EST) time, you are using a similar transposition.

The similarity lies in the fact that 5 hours after 11pm is 4am. 11+5=4, or (23+5=4)

I can ensure that speaking two different languages is much more difficult than transposing, and plenty of people do it, with various degrees of success.
If I have to do a comparison, times table has a similar challenge.

Actually, even simpler: if you take a train timetable from any British station and you convert all the (GMT) times in their New York (EST) time, you are using a similar transposition.

The similarity lies in the fact that 5 hours after 11pm is 4am. 11+5=4, or (23+5=4)

Following this analogy, all timetables should be in the same time - say GMT or UCT (close enough to GMT for this purpose) and all passengers/time table users should make their own transpostions to local time.

Following this analogy, all timetables should be in the same time - say GMT or UCT (close enough to GMT for this purpose) and all passengers/time table users should make their own transpostions to local time.

If I am not wrong in the Soviet Union (I don't know now) there was a sort of unified Moscow Time. On the radio the usually said something "5 o'clock in Moscow".
I thing your analogy is perfect for the de-tranposed system. While in the UK I can have dinner at 8pm (GMT), in NY I will have it at 3pm (GMT). Not romantic at all.

It is obvious: if you have four quarter notes (or crotchets) in each bar (no pub jokes please), the time signature is 4/4: four fourths. It implies that in G major you will end up in Bb. The four fourths are G C F Bb.

It couldn't be simpler.
Does that mean that, if I'm playing in 6/8, I have to work on my altissimo register? Even Mr Rascher didn't claim to play 6 octaves. Although I did hear on the TV news after Whitney Huston's death that she had a 5-octave vocal range. I'd be interested to hear that particular record.

I don't even understand why this is being discussed? :confused: are you trying to convert us all to this system? I get people like that at the door ;}

When I was at work one of our establishments was a radio monitoring station which kept UTC. Similar stations round the world had both local time and UTC clocks (I visited several). We only had a UTC clock. Used to confuse me no end coming out of there in the Summertime.

Coming back to topic...if as a beginner you went to learn the scale with the simplest fingering, C Maj, on alto, but as a C instrument, you would immediately have some fingerings that would make you wonder why they were so odd - fingerings meant for Eb, G#/Ab and Bb on alto.

One wonders in that case why the C tenor isn't more popular, or for that matter a C sop, C alto, C bari and C bass.

I think you will find that Mr Bradshaw spent a lot of time sorting all this out a long time ago

One wonders in that case why the C tenor isn't more popular, or for that matter a C sop, C alto, C bari and C bass.

As far as I'm aware the first simple saxophones came in many pitches. The ones we have left are the ones that sound the best.

The melody C is hanging on from an era of home playing with the piano. It isn't half as nice as alto or tenor.

This thread reminds me of a letter in the Telegraph some years ago, when Blair was the Prime Minister and the biggest news of the day was that he and Cherie had invested in an apartment for their two oldest sons. The letter asked whether the Christmas carols at Number 10 that year would be in G minor (i.e., 2 flats).

Did someone here compose that memorable missive...?

When I was at work one of our establishments was a radio monitoring station which kept UTC. Similar stations round the world had both local time and UTC clocks (I visited several). We only had a UTC clock. Used to confuse me no end coming out of there in the Summertime.
Wanders completely off topic...

.... to really confuse matters, you could keep your clocks at either LST (Local Sidereal Time) or how about GMAT (Greenwich Mean Astronomical Time, which starts at noon...). Maybe we should just use the Julian Date. At 19.51 GMT it was

JD 2456303.327083

... back to topic

Wanders completely off topic...

.... to really confuse matters, you could keep your clocks at either LST (Local Sidereal Time) or how about GMAT (Greenwich Mean Astronomical Time, which starts at noon...). Maybe we should just use the Julian Date. At 19.51 GMT it was

JD 2456303.327083

... back to topic

Back
Top Bottom