support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones David's interesting finds - Yanagisawa A880 £750 for sale by music teacher

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I'd sent @Colin the Bear a link to some Yamaha ads and he spotted this one, but isn't one he's after. So it's actually Colin's interesting find!

I remembered @Di in France loves her Tenor 880 but wondered if anyone owns or has played the alto version.

It's the Pro version of the 800 series, the 800 itself being intermediate.

This one is being sold by a sax tutor who says it's in great playing condition but not so good cosmetically, "a bit battered" and needs a new neck cork.

The ad reads...

"Yanagisawa Alto Saxophone model 880. It's about 30 years old. Good playing condition. Many scratches and a few dents. Lacquer wear, cork needs replacing. Lovely, sweet sound and easy altissimo. Comes with a lovely black case. Buy with confidence, I'm a professional woodwind player and teacher based in Chester."

Tom, the seller, advised further when I asked for details:

"I bought this sax about 10 years ago from Ken Sage, a retired music teacher in North Wales.
It has been my secondary sax which I used mainly in theatre shows ( small pits etc). My son has been playing on it for the last three years until I got him a brand new Yamaha 62.

It looks a bit battered but plays perfectly. All the pads are fine and seal very well, bottom notes are very easy to play and the action is so smooth.
The cork on the neck needs replacing."

photo_20523_1.jpg

photo_20523_3.jpg

photo_20523_4.jpg

photo_20523_2.jpg

Still, for a player's horn what could be better than buying from a player/teacher whose whole family plays sax...

f55760_c2d6db62774b473e90d231f5e33822ec~mv2.jpg

Photo courtesy Chester Saxophone, Clarinet & Flute School | Music Teacher | Lessons | England where you'll find Tom's contact details.

If you do buy it, please consider a donation to Pete's charity here.

I don't think my phone would go anywhere near doing justice to that Yani sound.

What's that tune called? I used to play it. I can't for the life of me remember the title. :doh:

Down under, that would go for more.

Every Yani that I have examined from that time period have worn flaky lacquer. It's just what they like.

From a general view point, the 800 Yani is not a student horn. They all are Pro horns. Very easy to play.

Obviously one can't judge it's playing condition without a play test.

I have to say, this AW01 looks almost genuine. For sale today at £600...

$_86-29.JPG

$_86-30.JPG

$_86-31.JPG

$_86-32.JPG

No answer to my message (I'm slightly tempted) and a new poster in the small ads.
Also, lives at the end of the UK and scant description. Case looks wrong too.

I must conclude this is also a fake.

Stand fits alto and tenor. I have this type.

Never trust an ad for an expensive sax with the mouthpiece on upside down.

I have stands that are suitable for alto or tenor but they need adjusting. An alto on a stand adjusted for tenor is waiting for tears.
At least it's the right way round on the stand.

Wish I’d known the link for it as it cost me £1000 for it , it may not be a looker but it’s a player and to be fair worth the money 880 are great horns and I regretted px mine for a 992 when they came out

@Trigger - do you mean you bought the £750 880 for £1000?

How did that happen?

Still, once the bidding had started he perhaps would have let it run.

Good to buy from a Pro/tutor. Was it good out of the case?

It’s a players horn nice light action all pads seal
And a really good Eastman case

Plus I needed a 880 for the yani collection
A 880 A990B A991s A992

...still a fair few missing? :)