Saxophones David's interesting finds - Vito Model 39 "Jazz Duke Special"

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
234850692_4028359393960120_2495795774380309664_n.jpg

235818221_4028359363960123_5588997156412426006_n.jpg

Very little info, even less photos around on this one, it's here:

Read also: https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads/vito-duke-vs-vito-duke-special.227630/#post-2419455
Which tells you:

Model 39 Performance Features

1. Special design neckpipe reinforcement full freedom of vibration for richer, fuller tone.
2. Precision fit neckpipe receiver provides positive seal against leaks.
3. One piece combination neckpipe clamp and lyre holder is exceptionally sturdy and virtually impossible to damage.
4. Simple, fool-proof and all together positive octave key mechanism.
5. “Wrap around” thumb spatula for more natural relaxed hand position.
6. Large comfortable plastic thumb rest.
7. Extremely comfortable and convenient positioning of contoured high D, D# and F “palm” keys.
8. Alternative high F key features positive action, comfortable position.
9. Easy reach table for little finger. Four rollers for fast comfortable action. Exceptionally light, balanced action. Fully articulated G#.
10. Heavy duty bell brace is designed to absorb shock, avoid damage.
11. Demountable cloths guard is another deluxe feature of this altogether premium saxophone.
12. Right thumb rest is adjustable to most comfortable position for individual player.
13. Side trill keys are comfortably contoured and beautifully balanced for fast, positive action.
14. Easily removable guards of heavy gauge sheet brass for all bell keys. Pearls may be removed for servicing.
15. Special design of F# key permits proper sizing of tone hole for better intonation.
16. Exceptionally strong brazed on bow guard and stiffener. This sturdy rib provides excellent protection at an otherwise very vulnerable point.
17. Premium quality tan kid resonator pads for a lively, more resonant tone quality.

Original brochure: https://www.saxontheweb.net/attachments/image-jpg.84921/

I'm currently tempted by this but the seller has decided he wants the full price he's asking.

He is: Mr andor jensen - MusicTeachers.co.uk

So you can bet it'll be playing well. He overhauled it himself, all new pads (not springs, they're purest gold!)

Anyway, if none of you buy it hopefully he'll sell it to me for a lower price!

Let us know how it plays if you DO buy it. It's supposedly a MkVI contender hence I was interested in trying it against my SDA... BUT... a tootle isn't worth £485 to me.

MMM

Locality
SW of London Town
Is it actually stamped "Duke Special"?

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
No, VITO, but check out the brochure. It's the same model. As with anything Beaugnier what you get on a horn is down to what parts bins were in reach for the techs that day.

The two rollers on the low C# touch, one at the side, one metal one at the bottom. That denotes only a model 39.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Here's an almost identical one, in mint condition this time, but note the "Vito" is on the other side of the bell:

wyattjsmall

Locality
South East Kansas
Is it actually stamped "Duke Special"?
Hi! I saw your post on the grassi sax, and believe i have one, your post is the only one that has matched the description of my sax. The serial number is 7134, it has the old pinkie layout, and is a majestic stencil. I don’t have info on when it was bought or made, but just thought i’d add that to your info. (your conversations are full so i replied to a post)

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
14. Easily removable guards of heavy gauge sheet brass for all bell keys. Pearls may be removed for servicing.

I think what is meant is that the guard pearls can be removed to assist with setting the height of the felts under? Or... GUARDS may be removed for servicing?

David Dorning

Locality
Chichester, UK

I think what is meant is that the guard pearls can be removed to assist with setting the height of the felts under? Or... GUARDS may be removed for servicing?
Must admit I didn't think off that, but none of my saxes actually have pearls on the bell guards, just screws that come out easily if you need to adjust the felts. I admit to lowering the tone by suggesting that pearl servicing is a bit of a niche activity.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom