Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

Ad here: Baritone Saxophone Vito | eBay

Not seen one before but someone may be interested?
Note the double arms on the bell key... the first to do this?

NB. I have no connection with the seller.

Does look quite interesting, doesn't it? A couple of minor repairs needed, otherwise may be OK. That is the most ineffectual looking bell brace I have ever seen on a bari, which is really odd given the double bell key arms.

The brace is the same design on the alto and tenor
Indeed, and it's made of the same gauge material. Baritones are much more vulnerable to knocks, which is why they usually have much more substantial bell braces, but this one just makes do with the same as an alto.

He will accept £1000 for it , if someone is interested , if it’s like their altos it will be a nice horn

He will accept £1000 for it , if someone is interested , if it’s like their altos it will be a nice horn
Beaugniers are indeed very nice horns, but I would want to have a very careful look at that particular sax before spending a grand on it. If's got quite a few dents and one of the key guards is mangled. The seller calls them superficial, I wouldn't. It's also, judging by the letters on the case, been used as a High School band instrument, which probably explains why it's a bit battered. That's about the hardest use than an instrument can get. Might be a great playing sax, but it would need a thorough check over to be worth £1k.

That’s true I made a low offer and that’s what he countered with ,
Plus I’ve already got a yani which doesn’t get used so I won’t be taking up his offer

Note the double arms on the bell key... the first to do this?
That is not a double arm on the low B key, it is a link to the C# key to prevent it from opening if you snag a little of the C# keytouch as you put the low B keytouch down.
Early days though.
Not quite sure what you mean there, it was made by Beaugnier at the height of their talents, mid to late sixties. Perhaps not full-on vintage (whose definition seems to keep changing as the decades go by), but try to tick off on one hand "vintage" baris that have the "modern" left hand pinky table. Selmer, of course, some Keilwerth and stencils, King Super 20, this made in France Vito 38B (and, 39BA low A), and I think one other that just won't come to this old man's brain right now. Wait--Ida Maria Grassi Professional 2000 (if late eighties can be considered old enough).

I freaking love mine. I played one as the "school bari" in 1966, lucky for me, I was the first to lift it out of its case, as the Vito rep hand delivered it as our High School was only about 25 minutes from Vito's headquarters in Kenosha, WI., USA. Many date these as '71ish but I have photographic proof of me holding this one in 1966. When a few years ago I came across an almost perfect-new looking one on Ebay, I had to have it. Its lacquer has aged to a honey gold, and I just had it repadded with Roo pads. I play in the local Junior College Jazz Ensemble, after regaining my chops in the Concert Band for 2 years after not playing for 45 years. When at "contest" one of the judges, meeting after our performance in the "critique room" singled me out as having "one of the finest bari sounds I've ever heard!" (boy, he made my LIFE). These baris are one of the best kept secrets in the world.

Duhh!!? D'ya think I'm a little too ready to defend my beloved bari?! Loaded for "Bear"?? Duh, thanks.

I had one like this with the Noblet brand on it, it sold a long time ago and the new owner was happy.

The low C double mechanism is featured for some times in these horns but later on the intonation problems which required this was corrected

Back
Top Bottom