All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Dave O'Higgins Quintet-"Sketchbook"

Andy Geiger

Locality
Port Angeles, Washington
I have been listening to a cd called "Sketchbook" featuring the Dave O'Higgins Quintet, wonderful rhythm section and two tenor men as Eric Alexander joins to make what is O'Higgins' Quartet into five. I really like the vibe on this collection. It reminds me of another two tenor collection featuring Clifford Jordan and John Gilmore called "Blowin' In From Chicago", a terrific album which also features a top notch rhythm section of Horace Silver, Curley Russell, and Art Blakey. Do others know of fine two tenor albums?

Kingsleyhk

Locality
Nr. Bandung, Indonesia
Johnny Griffin and Lockjaw Davis; Jazz Couriers with Ronnie Scott and Tubby Hayes; Al Cohn and Zoot Sims; Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster; Gene Ammons and Sonny Stitt.

They should get you going!

I've not given album titles, since anything by any of these guys is worth a listen. But if I had to pick one which rocks my boat it would be the JazzCouriers,

http://www.kingsleyjazz.com/182034697

closely followed by Griffin/Davis,

http://www.kingsleyjazz.com/182034702

Only one duet track on that page though.

gtriever

Locality
Western KY, USA
Excellent suggestions all! You might wish to add Harry Allen & Scott Hamilton's 'Round Midnight', 'Swing Brothers', Heavy Juice', and 'Stompin' the Blues' to that list. If you're really wanting a treat, try 'Tour de Force' featuring Al Cohn, Scott Hamilton and Buddy Tate in a marvelous tenor trio "battle".

Andy Geiger

Locality
Port Angeles, Washington
Great additions to the list! Eric Alexander and Grant Stewart made a couple of albums under the name of "Reeds And Deeds" that are noteworthy! Then there is Tenor Conclave with Al Cohn, John Coltrane, Hank Mobley, and Zoot Sims!

flamingoer

Locality
london
...and then there's the daddy of them all 'Boss Tenors' by Gene Ammons and Sonny Stitt.

Last edited:

Andy Geiger

Locality
Port Angeles, Washington
Quite a good list compiled here. I would add dexter Gordon/Wardell Gray and Johnny Griffin/Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis.

gtriever

Locality
Western KY, USA
I'll see your 'one better' and raise you... ;)

3TenorsCartoon.jpg

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom