Dave Edmunds saxplayer(s) at The Venue -82?

thomsax

I just listen to a 7"-single, "The Wanderer"(Marcesca) and "From Small Thngs Big Things Come" (B.Springsteen), from a Dave Edmund live recording at The Venue , London, -c 82.

Anyone who knows who is blowing sax on the recording? There is a hornsection (I think ts, bs, trp ..?) on the songs. I guess it's uk musicans at the recording?

What kind of place is The Venue? Still in "business"? I have another 12"-single live recording with the Blasters also from The Venue -82. Lee Allen and Steve Berlin his honking great on this recoding!

Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I may be wrong but I think that was probably the Rumour Brass, so likely to be the great John "Irish" Earle.

I played at the venue a few times, and also have that Blasters album with Lee. (I was at the gig and took Lee and Steve out for a curry).

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I may be wrong but I think that was probably the Rumour Brass, so likely to be the great John "Irish" Earle.

I played at the venue a few times, and also have that Blasters album with Lee. (I was at the gig and took Lee and Steve out for a curry).
Was that "The Venue" in New Cross?

OP
thomsax

thomsax

Thanks! The Rumour Brass: Hershall Holder trp, Dave Conners ts, Danny Ellis trb , John Earle bs/ts. Stewart Lynas (as) and Brinsley Schwarz (ts) also did some blowing. I've seen Graham Parker and The Rumors (incl hornsection) a couple of times. We had a second British Invasion here in Sweden in the mid 70's. Graham Parker, Nick Lowe, Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Dave Edmunds, Dire Straits .... became the real music when the disco disaster ruled the musicworld. Andy Fairwheather Low and Alan Price also works/ed with horns.

The Blasters became a succesful band thanks to Allen and Berlin! Why didn't they do more recordings/songs with saxes? The story says that Lee Allen gave Phil Alvin saxlessions and thats how the collaboration started.

BTW Did they enjoy the curry?

Thomas

Top Bottom