support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Date confirmed for Karen Sharp workshop no II

half diminished

REVISED DATE: Now 10th April 2010

Just to let you know Karen is planning to run another workshop in Leighton Buzzard on 20th March 2010. It will be a continuation of what we did in August, but she is hoping to bring in some more pros to help out and will be inviting any front line players to sign up not just saxophonists. It should be a ball - even better than the last! I'm booked.

I am waiting for details and confirmation of price but I expect it to be around the same cost as last time.

PM me if you are interested. I am chasing her for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ian
Please put me down for another workshop, if Karen can use a baritone.
Malcolm

Are you kidding!

Here's what the late-great Humph said about her....

Humphrey Lyttelton - March 2007
One of the most rewarding consequences of wearing two hats - labelled bandleader and broadcaster respectively - is the unique opportunity it offers to witness talent unfolding. Karen Sharp’s new album confirms what I have already observed, that over the past three or four years, she has steadily - I might almost say stealthily - developed into a major artist on the scene.

‘Wait and See’ is a delight from start to finish. Karen’s playing on both saxophones is a perfect blend of poise and passion. One moment she is bringing out the beauty of a Billy Strayhorn composition with rare tenderness, the next she leads her wonderfully complementary band in a track that captures, in a way remarkable for a small group, the urgency of one of Charles Mingus’s rampaging gospel-inspired pieces.
Some of the best things here are Karen’s own compositions. I know, because I have had to discipline myself to play some of them, of her meticulous attention to detail with regard to form and dynamics. Anyone who approaches them in the expectation of a predictable ramble down familiar paths will have many a pleasurable surprise.

This is the first album of hers on which Karen Sharp has played baritone saxophone. Having persuaded her to buy one when she joined my band three years ago, I glow in the dark with the awareness that she now has one of the best sounds on the instrument to be heard on this planet. In fact, listening to this lovely album has made me seriously phosphorescent, so I’ll say no more.

Hi Ian
I know very well that Karen can play a baritone - I have had a lesson from her. I meant if she could use a baritone player (me), in the workshop.
Malcolm

Hi Ian, i should be on her list as i missed out last time due to illness, she kindly said that my payment would be ok for March. So yes i want to go. Could you mention it to her or shall i e-mail her directly?
You going to the Mornington workshop on the 23rd? Rgds Phil

Hi Ian, i should be on her list as i missed out last time due to illness, she kindly said that my payment would be ok for March. So yes i want to go. Could you mention it to her or shall i e-mail her directly?
You going to the Mornington workshop on the 23rd? Rgds Phil

Excellent!

You can email her if you like. So far it looks like 4 of us. I suspect competition for places will be a bit stiffer this time around so book early! As soon as I have more info I'll let everyone know.

As for the Mornington workshop on the 23rd, yes and sorry I meant to pm you in return with my phone no etc. Lets meet up and have a beer/nosh!

Hi,
I am very interested in the workshop, and wanted to go last time but was unable to. Is it suitable for relative beginners? I have been playing 11 months now & started improvising (very dodgily) in Sept.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom