support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces 'Dark' Tenor Mouthpiece

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
Over the weekend I was recording some very mellow music, which I found my Vandoren V16 was too bright for. When I got home I dug out my old 'piece, a plastic Yamaha. The basic tone on this was close to perfect (plus, even when played really quietly there was no hint wetness) ... if only I'd had a week or so to get used to playing something with such a small tip opening and hadn't already done the recording...

Checking online it would seem the V16 is classed as reasonably dark, which came as a bit of a surprise to me. No, it's not a Jumbo Java but it's still pretty bright. I guess what I'm looking for is something more classical than jazz but with a tip opening in the 8 region, around .110 IIRC.

Any suggestions?

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Morgan, but not the Excalibur. Also Zagar "cool school". If you're using "lip out" embouchure change to lip under as that will limit the higher harmonics and bring out more of the fundamentals.

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
otto link tone edge hard rubber /// otto link stm ny metal.
I have a short shank soloist and it's definately somehow brighter than the links.

All three options are dream options for the tenor.

Also if you find a vintage morgan exculibur give it a try. they can be insanely good..

Another idea. If you like the mouthpiece, try to play it with classical reeds, like vandoren v32 or blue box. You will be surprsed how much a clasical reed can take the Z out of the sound.

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Hi,
V16 what? Metal or Ebonite?
They have metal pieces with different chambers, S, M, L, for metal. The L ones are superb IMHO (had a 6, whereas I normally play something like 7* with other "Links". V16 Ebonite in L are a bit harder to get in a store, but are also great MPCs.

Changing lip position does make an effect (not that much for me personally), but also changing how high or low you voice. Meaning imagining lower notes played on the MPC alone will bring you more highs in your sound, whereas playing higher on the MPC pitch will kill the high frequencies more. (If you attach the MPC to the horn, of course :))
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ii6FDCGk6I

Next is reeds: There is a hell of a difference when I play Rigotti or something like Vandoren ZZ or D'Addarios.

And - most important - the sound in your head makes the difference. But I'm sure you are aware of that.

Cheers, Guenne

Last edited:

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
otto link tone edge hard rubber /// otto link stm ny metal.
I have a short shank soloist and it's definately somehow brighter than the links.

I would've thought they were reasonably bright, like a V16?

Pillinger NYT does dark for me

I'll have a look, thanks.

If your budget will stretch to it, a JodyJazz DVNY is worth a try.

I never thought of a JodyJazz ... but that's too much for a 'piece I'll rarely use.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
Hi,
V16 what? Metal or Ebonite?
They have metal pieces with different chambers, S, M, L, for metal. The L ones are superb IMHO

I should've said - it's ebonite.

I've looked at the large chamber V16s and they sound great but not dark enough for what I'm after. The main problem is that there's only one show that I'd use it on at the moment so there's no point spending lots of cash otherwise I'd just get a V16 with a large chamber worked on to get the sound I'm after - really, really dark.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
I've got a 7C, which I'd use with slightly harder reeds if it didn't die in the upper register. It is a cheapy plastic 'piece rather than the ebonite option, though.

I'll have to bob down to Sax and have a play.

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
Dave,

It’s well worth speaking to Ed Pillinger and explaining your requirements. I did this recently and he made me my own mouthpiece, which fit the bill perfectly, for less than the cost of a lot of mass produced pieces. The guy’s bloody amazing.

Glen

Rob Pealing

sax in a kayak (apprentice sax tamer)
Locality
Greenfield, Nova Scotia, Canada
I've got a 7C, which I'd use with slightly harder reeds if it didn't die in the upper register. It is a cheapy plastic 'piece rather than the ebonite option, though.

I'll have to bob down to Sax and have a play.
If it does the job does it matter whether it is plastic or platinum?

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
It’s well worth speaking to Ed Pillinger and explaining your requirements. The guy’s bloody amazing.

That may be the only real solution.

If it does the job does it matter whether it is plastic or platinum?

The problem is it doesn't do the job, it just shows the direction in sound I'm looking for. Well, for this particular application, anyway.

davidk

Paints With Notes
Locality
Earth
Hi

Vandoren do a large chambered V16 which is available in a T8 (.110") opening. A darker mouthpiece is the Vandforen V5, but the largest tenor tip opening for this is a T35 at 0.090".

I play a V5 T20 with a blue box number 3 Vandoren reed for concert band work, and have no trouble switching to it from the more open .105" and .115" mouthpieces I normally play.

Hope this helps.

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
It was a mouthpiece that played powerfully but dark with harder reeds.
I could play classical or traditional jazz very easily.

Not for those that like "edgy" sounds.
Clear, light articulation. My tonguing was light and clear.

A different beast than soloists. Round chamber.
Excellent response from Bb to high F.

And jazz reeds weren't sounding too buzzy.
Sometimes I miss this mouthpiece.

Alexandra

Café Supporter
Locality
London, Greater London
Any other thoughts on this? I'm looking to darken the sound of my Yany TWO10. The stock Yany ebonite 7 is doing a decent job but I'd like something darker. I've ordered a V5 T35 to try (thanks @ellinas ). I've been using blue box Vandorens and a Rovner dark lig.

I'm thinking the 10mfan Classic is the sound I'm after - dark but with focus (not too spread) but I need to start with something cheaper until I settle on a tip opening before paying so much for the 10mfan (£389-£400!).

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Top Bottom