support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Dark, fat, bright, centred, warm, edgy - what's it all mean?

I have to say I'm a bit confused as to what these (and others) mean. Seems to me they mean different things to different peeps.

What's it all about?

EDGY- DAVE SANBORN
WARM- ANDY SHEPPARD
CENTERED- MICHAEL BRECKER
BRIGHT- ERIC DOLPHY
FAT- BEN WEBSTER
DARK- JOE LOVANO

when i hear these Stellar player's blow this is what i hear in my fat heed:welldone

So are you saying you have a Ben Webster heed :w00t:

H'm........ I don't sound like any of these - where does that leave me I wonder?

I WISH I DID,what a tenor sound Mr Webster had,1 of the best ever.Legend.As for me,i love Andy Sheppard's and Jan Garbarek's sound so try to be some were between them,i fail ofcourse but that's what i strive toward's.:(

I WISH I DID,what a tenor sound Mr Webster had,1 of the best ever.Legend.As for me,i love Andy Sheppard's and Jan Garbarek's sound so try to be some were between them,i fail ofcourse but that's what i strive toward's.:(

You should check out Movements in Colour Andy's latest album. I'm seeing him at Ronnie Scotts on 26th May:). The album is brilliant and so obviously Andy's work.

I had dinner with him after seeing his master-class at Jonathan Myall Music last September. A very interesting 2 hours of chat over dinner with a bit of a hero of mine since 1987.

Seems like we're coming form a pretty similar angle on tenor here (you a Stanley Turrentine man by any chance?)

I love that warm, breathy tone that Andy Sheppard gets on tenor. Webster is a bit too much for me on some recordings.

Also, Coltrane on Kind of Blue - awesome sound and technique. I don't sound like him either though :(

In fact I could list all of the sax players who sound better than me but I don't have the time :)))

Seems like we're coming form a pretty similar angle on tenor here (you a Stanley Turrentine man by any chance?)

Monster player,i have seen lot's of video clip's on youtube etc and the late great Brecker alway's mention's him as 1 of his great's,there's a youtube clip of him on stage with Brecker and i forget who else,might be Liebman etc,sax summit crew.Turrentine was 1 soulfull man,he had the Texas Tenor sound sorted,very blue and funky,oh yes.That's how a Tenor should sound

Don't some of your students find the descriptions offensive?

Not really. I guess that my foreign accent makes them forgive me.
Plus they all have a beautiful sound (seriously), unless they try to irritate me on purpose (they do it).

Not really. I guess that my foreign accent makes them forgive me.
Plus they all have a beautiful sound (seriously), unless they try to irritate me on purpose (they do it).

I suspect you would get away with murder with your accent:shocked:

Your student's sound must owe something to your teaching;}

Jx