• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
sax.co.uk

R & B, Blues, Soul Danny Gatton and Bill Holloman "Funky Mama"

Choice!! You're the man Thomas. The late, great Danny Gatton King of the Telecaster. This track is from an album called 88 Elmira St. On the album also does a great version of the Simpson's TV Theme...

To check out some great playing by Bill Holloman in later years "Chic - Live At Montreaux" DVD is excellent.

Good stuff....:thumb:

Greg S.

spike

I've worn out my digital copy of 88 Elmira St. - so last weekend I downloaded Portraits:
Bill Holloman on tracks 1 -3 and Bruce Swaim on tracks 4 - 8
Amy Zing stuff - can't get enough.
If only I'd discovered this stuff 25 years ago . . .

spike

@John Laughter - Hi John - hope it goes you well. I gotta question for you about Bill Holloman's playing. He often plays a run where he sounds like he's stuttering the notes out. I can't figure out how he does it. He does it in his Funky Mama solo (see above) third chorus after around 2:50
Is he double or triple tonguing or what on earth is he doing. Can you help ? :)
Gruss - spike

Spike, you have it. Triple using one main note and running a scale. I can't do it! Trumpet players are known to have good control on triple tonguing.

Some of the older school players used it. The only recent song that I can think of it is "Should I Do It" by the Pointer Sisters. Premik Tubbs plays a few during his tenor solo.

Here are a two clips that cover it which might help and I am sure other Cafe members can offer some good advice too;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY4ePmbBeiI

Double and triple tonguing?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqrBK_GUHxw

spike

Thanks John - I knew you'd have the answer ;) I figured it couldn't be anything else than triple tonguing
Now I just gotta find out if I belong to the "da-ga-da-ga" or the "tu-ka-tu-ka" tribe.
Rock sax has always been such a wonderful journey for me.
I often wonder why anyone would ever want to play "jazz".
Sorry - only a wind up . . . Outta here - with a "tu-ka-tu-ka" tongue in cheek . . .
Must get me a "tu-ka-tu-ka" T-Shirt ;)

@John Laughter - Hi John - hope it goes you well. I gotta question for you about Bill Holloman's playing. He often plays a run where he sounds like he's stuttering the notes out. I can't figure out how he does it. He does it in his Funky Mama solo (see above) third chorus after around 2:50
Gruss - spike
I'm pretty sure King Curtis used to do something very similar to that in a lot of his playing. It might not have been exactly the same, but very close. That was in the 60s, so that's maybe where Bill Holloman got it from, you never know!

I'm pretty sure King Curtis used to do something very similar to that in a lot of his playing.
He sure did. Just can't recall the songs at this time. Boots Randolph and Steve Douglas also touched on it as well. Boots would do it when he had a live performance and would get the band to up the tempo toward the end and it got everyone's attention.

He sure did. Just can't recall the songs at this time. Boots Randolph and Steve Douglas also touched on it as well. Boots would do it when he had a live performance and would get the band to up the tempo toward the end and it got everyone's attention.
Hi John,
You got me thinking which tunes he did it on. "Soul Twist" and " Slow Drag" are the ones I can remember.But he did it on loads of others as well, but i'd have to go through all my albums to check. Great music and great times for sure.
Rob.

Gruss - spike
Solo transcription is available at this link: https://saxsolos.com/shop/bill-holloman-funky-mama/

spike

Yes, Curtis really does an amazing job with all his transcriptions. In this particular case the bottom line is technique. It's not just playing the notes it's the technical ability. There lies the crux.