All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Reeds Dangerous question - reeds....

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
Well, the revitalised sax and the new Meyer 5m mpc got a workout at the band gig Friday and Sunday's rehearsal. The new mpc is definitely louder and projects more.

Now, on the Yamaha 5c I was using a Vandoren Jazz 3.5 - I think because of the lay being slight? I'm thinking that the 3.5 is too much for the new mpc and I should back off to a 2.5 perhaps? I seem to be pushing this reed quite hard.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Locality
kent
I agree with Colin and Kev, its no longer considered to be a sign of ability to play a harder reed ( thank the lord !)
I often play a 1.5 with pleasing results.
Its what works for you and your setup that matters

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I agree with Colin and Kev, its no longer considered to be a sign of ability to play a harder reed ( thank the lord !)

I am proud to have been amongst the first people I know of on the internet proclaiming this. At first I got almost 100% disagreement, but over the years whenever I say something to that effect e.g. here or on SOTW, there is now a healthy percentage of people who agree.

I pointed out that it can actually be harder to play soft reeds, if you want to still get the same kind of loudness / projection and altissimo.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom