All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Dangerous experiment....

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Today at orchestra, we were playing the theme tune to The Simpsons (it's pretty tricky!). One of the clarinet players was playing tenor sax... :)

He had a Hanson ST8...:w00t:

.... he let me try it.... >:)

... I want one... it was so easy to play and I've never played a tenor before....;}

Taz

Busking Oracle
Gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Go and see Alastair at Hansons he will make you feel very welcome, no heavy sales, also carries some 2nd hand saxophones.

Jx

Young Col

I have OGs ST8 on loan and I must say, the few times I have tried it so far, I do like it. Alto seems like a toy afterwards though!

old git

Tremendous Bore
YC's borrowed the tenor and he plays it much better than me. Trying to persuade him to take the tenor along to one of his band nights where the present tenor is even worse than me. He will have CaSLM back up. >:)

I am still engaged in trying to find any difference between the two mouthpieces on the WX7. YC says he can hear it but I can't and I don't think he is winding me up.

Over to you for your opinion, that nice Mr. Thomas.

TV, visit Alastair and his lovely wife, who is a very good violinist but don't mention brass to him or he'll design and sell you a complete brass band minus players. :w00t: You know you prefer instruments in the tenor range.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Today at orchestra, we were playing the theme tune to The Simpsons (it's pretty tricky!). One of the clarinet players was playing tenor sax... :)

... I want one... it was so easy to play and I've never played a tenor before....;}

I've got an ST8, good thing it's easy to play or I'd sound even worse.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
It 's not fair you tenor blower's trying to corrupt us young innocent altoists over to the dark side always remember the force is with us

That said on the subject of Hansons Trimmy at the soirée "ie THE MEET" kindly let me have a blow on his Hanson alto and I have to admit it has definitely got something in the tone department and it is an exceptionally good looking horn,the funny thing is when I was first venturing into my sax expedition Hanson were one of the first horns I came across on the interweb,I was taken by the fact that they claimed to be a British manufacturer and invited you to come along and see there family run business then people started telling me there were no British made horns and they were probably made in Taiwan and just assembled here and so I went off the idea but I have to say what ever they do they seem to sprinkle a bit of magic on to their horns ......John

Last edited by a moderator:

navarro

Hi T I have a tenor and instituted a rigid disciplinarian routine on playing of same, that being I don`t play it.

The reason for this little eccentricity on my part is that I had a few blasts on it when first purchased and discovered I could reach the upper registers with ease and after a little perseverance the lower registers.

Now here`s the rub. I want to play the alto as perfectly as possible within my limitations, only when I have reached the standard I have set myself will I seriously start playing the tenor and combine the two.

I find that multitasking is extremely hard for me. (Probably an age thing.)

Okay a lot of people will disagree with my approach, however as a newbie, music is a very pleasurable discipline and if I have any criticism of my excellent teachers is that they are a little laid back. Regards, hair shirt and flay at the ready. N.

PS I maintain both my instruments regularly and with care. N.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi T I have a tenor and instituted a rigid disciplinarian routine on playing of same, that being I don`t play it.

The reason for this little eccentricity on my part is that I had a few blasts on it when first purchased and discovered I could reach the upper registers with ease and after a little perseverance the lower registers.

Now here`s the rub. I want to play the alto as perfectly as possible within my limitations, only when I have reached the standard I have set myself will I seriously start playing the tenor and combine the two.

I find that multitasking is extremely hard for me. (Probably an age thing.)

Okay a lot of people will disagree with my approach, however as a newbie, music is a very pleasurable discipline and if I have any criticism of my excellent teachers is that they are a little laid back. Regards, hair shirt and flay at the ready. N.

PS I maintain both my instruments regularly and with care. N.

I agree wholeheartedly with your approach as it was the way Decided to go about it,never try to do too many things at once,get proficient on one and the make the simple step to the other,but I have to say the alto is probably the more difficult of the two to learn to play well but it does have the advantage in the weight department and you will probably find like myself the more proficient you become on alto the less you will be drawn to the tenor,and don't be put of by your trial at the jam session your a braver man than me....joh

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
:w00t:

Tenor's lovely. Super tone. Nice to blow.

Go for it TV! But don't ask Hanson's for movable tone holes or a black haired bow.... ;}
Can I have one at A=415? O hang on, it's a saxophone so that means A is somewhere between A=382 and A=462 anyway.....

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator

It is like wives... tenor is pleasant the first times, then troubles start.
Do not listen to the tempting voices of this forum. Tenor is as bad as any other saxophone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
I'm doomed.....

.... there were those nice sops that Colin had at the MEET......

and his bari was rather nice too.....

The music room already has a piano, bass viol,tenor viol, cello, alto sax, music.... The sideboard will have to go.... hang on, that's where I store the malts....

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Can I have one at A=415? O hang on, it's a saxophone so that means A is somewhere between A=382 and A=462 anyway.....

It is a tenor: A=196
while alto A=261.63

i am sure you are appreciating this subtle nerdy humour.

BigMartin

I'm doomed.....

.... there were those nice sops that Colin had at the MEET......

and his bari was rather nice too.....

The music room already has a piano, bass viol,tenor viol, cello, alto sax, music.... The sideboard will have to go.... hang on, that's where I store the malts....
There's a simple solution here. Drink the malts. Then hit Ebay.

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
:w00t:

Tenor's lovely. Super tone. Nice to blow.

Go for it TV! But don't ask Hanson's for movable tone holes or a black haired bow.... ;}

I'll have you know that neither of my viol bows (one is pernambuco the other is figured snakewood) has black hair - that tends to be the domain of louche double bass players with gothic tendencies, or violinists overdosing on testosterone and machismo

Top Bottom